Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Important discussion point page

dboxing is offline Senior Member

Important discussion point

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The below was copied from the Calorie In/Out thread at number 56 -

"The concept here that so many fail to grasp is that fat does not need the action of insulin to be stored as fat--if you don't burn it through activity, it will be stored as bodyfat...it does not magically disappear and no, it is not excreted. Unlike carbohydrates, which first must be converted to triglycerides (fat) and then shuttled to storage through the action of insulin, fat is already fat--if you don't use it, plan on wearing it on your ass and thighs."

I think it merits discussion.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I do think it’s an interesting point, especially for VLC eaters who may think that it’s okay to eat a lot of fat or food in general if your carbs are low. The thing is though, that does seem to work relatively well for some time, so it’s tough to determine when exactly it stops “working” …

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    This will never end, will it.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member

My thread is better!

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    That simplifies the matter of eating fat way too much. Even Taubes et.al. never said fat in and of itself made one skinny or fat. Its the satiety it brings, the control of hunger, such that one really doesn't ever *overeat* when on a predominately high fat diet that aids the weight control (loss or maintenance). Carbs by their nature are chaotic within the body, going through so many processes spiking insulin here and fat storage there, causing hunger pangs there and swinging blood glucose there.

If you can satisfy your energy needs from fat which goes easy on your body, thats preferable to satisfying it with carbs which go hard on the body in so many ways.

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    This will never end, will it.
    Nope, but at least it's better than "I only eat wholegrain now coz it's low GI"

I see none of the responses address to me what is most interesting, i.e. "fat does not need the action of insulin to be stored as fat--if you don't burn it through activity, it will be stored as bodyfat...it does not magically disappear and no, it is not excreted." Is this factually correct? If so it might explain why so many people here lose the initial 7-10 pounds of water weight from cutting carbs, then stop losing, and any many cases, start gaining again. What about all the advice given on this board to folks who have stalled and or are gaining under PB or quasi PB to "eat more fat"?

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    I don't think anyone is arguing against that. However, it is almost misleading. The real question should be, if that is true, is eating fat still preferable to eating carbs and will still lose weight in the long run? I maintain the carbs are the harsher way on the body to get energy resulting in inflammation and fat gain in all the wrong places.

I lost nearly 50 pounds cutting carbs and raising fat. I am at 17% bodyfat right now so its not like I lost most of it as water weight...

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Yes this is factually correct but only in the context of hypercaloric energy levels. Keep in mind de novo lipogenesis is not a common occurance.

Quote Originally Posted by chima_p View Post
    Yes this is factually correct but only in the context of hypercaloric energy levels. Keep in mind de novo lipogenesis is not a common occurance.
    Interesting. Are you saying it is technically possible, but practically doesn't happen? Can/would you provide further detail?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast