Thread: Mopeds/Electric Scooter Recommendations Please! page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

Mopeds/Electric Scooter Recommendations Please!

Primal Fuel
    I have had enough. I am selling my 1997 Chrysler Concorde. Anything over 1 Grand is a bonus.

What will I be using instead? My feet and perhaps a bike if I choose to buy one. I wish to buy a moped/electric scooter NOW. Does anyone have any recommendations? My budget is $1,000 since that is what I expect I will sell my car for.

I want it to be able to travel far - at least 30 miles. I could careless about the speed.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    I think a small used motorcycle is the way to go. 1980 GS550 Suzuki

You'll get crazy gas mileage and can take it on the highway. 30 miles on a scooter will get old fast. Do remember that it will be useless in the Michigan winter.

Another way to look at it is that you cannot replace that car for $1K. I'd think twice about selling it.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Feel free to laugh, but I am seriously very close to buying one of these: Enertia Plus Electric Motorcycle

I know, i know it's kind of weird but damned if I don't think it looks fun to drive. I'm thinking I'll cave and end up buying that within the next two months.

Tony Atomic is offline Member
    Buy a used dual sport motorcycle. If you're going to be commuting 30 miles, look for something around 650cc. I use a DRZ400 and its fine as long as I'm not doing REALLY long highway miles. The added motor from a 650 would be awesome if I was to do more. However, for town and most roads less than 70mph my DRZ is perfect. Its bulletproof and gets about 55 mpg.

If I was to get a scooter, I'd personally look for a Honda Ruckus. However, 35mph is about the most youre going to get out of one unless you heavily modify it. That part is fun too though if you're into that kinda thing!

And for the record, Rivvin, electric motorcycles are awesome. Massive torque, whisper quite, and capable of pretty decent speeds. I would be the biggest hooligan on one just because no one can hear you do wheelies and rip around! Only problem right now is the availability of electric bikes and their parts. I'll end up with one someday though.
    Last edited by Tony Atomic; 05-24-2011 at 02:05 PM.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    Feel free to laugh, but I am seriously very close to buying one of these: Enertia Plus Electric Motorcycle

I know, i know it's kind of weird but damned if I don't think it looks fun to drive. I'm thinking I'll cave and end up buying that within the next two months.
    That looks awesome. I'd be worried people wouldn't hear me, though. I know when my hybrid is in electric mode, it's awfully quiet. Most people don't have a habit of watching for motorcycles but at least they hear the loud ones.

Phaedrus is offline Senior Member
    I love my fleet of Honda ct70s....they're like mopeds with gears.....but you really do need at least a 125cc bike if you plan on using it as primary transportation. I love my HD xr1200 and 77 xs650 too. Going fast is fun and if you don't care about speed then buy a really nice bicycle.

What are you going to do this winter?
    Brad

late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    A horse. Not only can it get you where you need to go, it doubles as a snack if you're hungry!
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.