Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herring!!! page

wiltondeportes Guest

Herring!!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I bought a couple fresh, wild sardines from the store. About half pound total. I'm almost positive they are herring. Anyways, I'd never had it before. I'm in heaven! This fish is awesome. I could see myself eating a lot of this in the future...

Also, I don't really know how to cook it. I just threw it in the pan, added water, and turned it on. Please feel free to offer suggestions on preparing it. Just keep in mind that pans/pots are all I have.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Herring is a great fish. Delicious, nutritious, tasty - it's the bones that are the problem! But well worth getting. I believe it is one of the best sources of omega 3?

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Oooh, herring is good! I love marinated herring. Topped with curry+egg salad, it's just heaven!

It's a little time consuming to make. I had Google translate the process, so I'm not sure it all makes 100% sense, but here goes:
    Marineret sild

I plan on trying to make them from scratch, some day, to avoid all the preservatives and sugars in the industrial made ones.
    Last edited by Bissen; 05-23-2011 at 11:59 PM.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Herring is a great fish. Delicious, nutritious, tasty - it's the bones that are the problem! But well worth getting. I believe it is one of the best sources of omega 3?
    It's as nutritious as any fish pound for pound. I looked it up with salmon on nutrition data. I would probably take herring with the slight victory actually because of mineral/vitamin content. The taste is delicious. Wild, fresh herring is fairly cheap and easy to get. Ya the bones kind of sucked...but eating with your hands and a scraping knife makes them no match for me! I see myself eating a lot of delicious herring in the future.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 05-24-2011 at 01:35 AM.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Don't! I'll be leaving my work early and sneaking off to the fishmongers if I think about herring any more! And herring roe (milts) are also delicious....

Idioteque is offline Member
    The Dutch way is my favorite way of eating it: marinated fish & onion straight into the mouth, hehe!
    Soused herring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I eat 1 or 2 of this fishes at least once a week and cannot get enough of them!
    (I guess similar to the Danish way?!)

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    Oh yeah. Herring fillets, salt and pepper, skin side down on a hot pan until almost cooked through, flip for 10 seconds. Lemon juice. Nosh.

bonewoman is offline Junior Member
    Gwinnett/Walton County Georgia (1 hour north and eat of Atlanta)
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    I bought a couple fresh, wild sardines from the store. [snip] Please feel free to offer suggestions on preparing it. Just keep in mind that pans/pots are all I have.
    Lived in Europe for many years, where I acquired a taste for fish and eggs. Kippers and eggs are awesome (kippers are herring), a personal fav. Likewise, salmon soup makes a great breakfast.

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idioteque View Post
    The Dutch way is my favorite way of eating it: marinated fish & onion straight into the mouth, hehe!
    Soused herring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I eat 1 or 2 of this fishes at least once a week and cannot get enough of them!
    (I guess similar to the Danish way?!)
    I just checked soused herrings out... I don't know all the different variations of neither soused or marinated herring, but the ingredients seem different, but with somewhat same procedure.

I'll have to add homemade marinated herring to my list of foods-to-try list

Smoked herring from (especially famous on Bornholm, a tiiiiny Danish island) are really great too, but I guess not so easy to make yourself...

Idioteque is offline Member
    My mom was marinating herring and makerel when I was growing up, I used to love it; it actually rarely got to the "properly marinated" point, I was eating it almost raw haha. I am not sure how she was doing it though, if I remember I will ask (I don't think it was very complicated, I remember salt, vinegar and onions, and officially they should stay in the marinade for at least 2 days but I was most of the time starting to eat them after half a day ).

However, since in NL, I just buy it directly soused, other people did it for me and it is delicious so I never have to think about the recipe.

Good luck if you try

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast