Thread: Introduction and question for Mark! page

lasbud69 is offline Junior Member

Smile Introduction and question for Mark!

Shop Now
    Hi Mark and forum members! This is my first time in the forum so I'm not completely sure how this works but I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I'm basically a 49-year-old former athlete who had let himself go for over 15 years. A year ago, at 5' 6", I weighed 170 pounds and was at a pathetic 28% body fat percentage. In 12 months I got reacquainted with my old sport of running and went down to 125 pounds at 4.6% body fat (tested by hydrostatic weighing). I purchased Mark's book over the weekend because it looked like he has a system that will enable me to maintain my current fitness and body fat level in the longterm with a diet and exercise routine that is sane and sustainable.

My question to Mark and other forum members is whether or not having body fat under 5% is healthy and sustainable in the long run (pun intended)? I noticed in his book, Mark mentions that he stays at 8% body fat. I'm worried that staying at 4-5% may negatively impact things like my testosterone level.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

Mark can't really read all the MDA posts. Fortunately, there are many wise folks who can answer questions.

You would probably have to tell us more about what you eat and how much you run for us to help much.

As you may have read in the book, Mark feels that lots of running is unhealthy. But do it if it's your passion. Just don't count on it to stay healthy.
    Last edited by Hedonist; 05-23-2011 at 08:00 PM.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

lasbud69 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks, Hedonist! My point is not about the running, which I have cut back on substantially for similar reasons as outlined by Mark in the Primal Blueprint. My question was whether it is healthy in the longterm for me to maintain a body fat percentage between 4 to 5 percent.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    'fraid I can't help you with that. I'm in no danger of ever being down to 4 or 5%. Hehe.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.