Thread: Completely psyched page

DebFM is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Last night I was out walking one of my dogs & thought I'd do just a little jogging as an ankle strengthener for a weak ankle I have. Well, I ended up jogging almost the entire walkies loop, about .7 of a mile. I've never, ever been able to run much before, even as winter training for bicycle racing when I was in my 20's or even as a kid. I would get a stitch in the side within 20 feet and it would just feel weird and awkward. When I tried a few months ago my shin muscles were just screamin'. And, today, no soreness. I'm hoping I can work up to real sprints.

I was so excited, I just had to share!

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Awesome!!! Sprinting rocks, it's great to fully exert yourself and get a good workout in 10 minutes You'll love it (and hate it at the same time) when you can finally do it!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

TexTodd Guest

Too cool!! Congrats!

I had a similar experience last week. Was taking the dog for a walk and thought I would try a sprint.

Now, I used to be an athlete, but I am 15 years and 100 pounds away from those days. I havent been able to jog, much less sprint in years.

So I started off slow, built up some speed and went for an entire block! I felt SO good afterwards. A real, natural high.

maba is offline Senior Member

Great to hear that DebFM! I haven't sprinted in about 3 months. Must get back to it and see if I still can.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

LOL! The miracle of dog walking.

My dog makes me run all the time without asking and I never used to run before getting her.

Mark Sisson is offline Administrator

Congrats, DebFM!

Use that enthusiasm and excitement to keep at it, but don't let it push you too far. I've seen too many athletes, for example, recovering from injury that feel pretty good one day, push it to hard the next and end up worse off as a result. Ease into it, listen to your body and before you know it you'll be sprinting like Grok!

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member

There really is something pure and almost child-like about sprinting. Children are always running around (but not jogging for extended periods of time), racing each other, hiding, playing, jumping. As adults, it is socially weird to break into a sprint on the sidewalk. But boy, does it feel amazing when you do!

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I'll be sure to take it slow & work my way up to sprints. It's just so amazing what PB can do for a person!