Thread: grains page

jimtoo is offline Junior Member

grains

Shop Now
    I'm relatively new to this diet - a couple of months now - and definitely do better on it, but when discussing it with someone else, they told me this in defense of grain eating: "In ancient times, when people ate grains regularly, cancer was so rare that it was mentioned by the doctors of those time as something truly perplexing. Heart disease was non-existent." Plus, since cavement didn't live long, we "have no idea what would happen to cavemen if they lived to be 60 or 70." The implication being they might have developed modern diseases if they had.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to argue this yet. Can you help or point me in the right direction? I've been reading a lot here and on other blogs, but I still get easily stumped.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    I can't point you in the right direction, but I'd be tempted to ask them which humour they think is out of balance on you, if we're going with what worked back then. You might also point out that autopsies, x-rays, and MRIs weren't done regularly back then, so they might not have found it.

There have been studies that indicated that cavemen lived longer, though. The infant mortality rate is part of what drives their average lifespan down.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Many paleo humans lived long lives. (And the few remaining hunters and gatherers do too.) If someone made it through early childhood and, in the case of women, giving birth, they could live to a ripe old age.

Our great grandparents lived long lives because they followed primal except for eating grains. They were probably 80% primal or more.
    They could eat more carbs because mostly they worked hard.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimtoo View Post
    I'm relatively new to this diet - a couple of months now - and definitely do better on it, but when discussing it with someone else, they told me this in defense of grain eating: "In ancient times, when people ate grains regularly, cancer was so rare that it was mentioned by the doctors of those time as something truly perplexing. Heart disease was non-existent." Plus, since cavement didn't live long, we "have no idea what would happen to cavemen if they lived to be 60 or 70." The implication being they might have developed modern diseases if they had.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to argue this yet. Can you help or point me in the right direction? I've been reading a lot here and on other blogs, but I still get easily stumped.
    I'd say what a load of crap.

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    Paleolithic people weren't in perfect health and didn't all look like fitness models, but everything I've read on paleoanthropology does point out that Neolithic humans were shorter and in poorer health than their Paleolithic ancestors (and were right up until the 19th century).
    Last edited by Doddibot; 05-23-2011 at 08:33 PM.
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    My argument - I feel better when I don't eat them.

If someone wants more details, I tell them my sinuses have cleared, my joints are less creaky and are more mobile, I'm losing weight while feeling happy, healthy and satisfied, my fibro flares have gone down and are less severe, and generally carry on that line. More energy is awesome too.

At the end of the day, there's studies that will prove anything. Statistics are easy to twist unless you're very careful, for example I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of all murderers have eaten grains, so does that mean that grains predispose someone towards murder? I think not.