Thread: Old School Body Building page

stephenmarklay is offline Senior Member

Old School Body Building

Primal Fuel
    Half I life ago I was a gym rat of sorts and over the years stopped lifting much. I have stayed active through the years with things like boxing, martial arts, bike racing some lifting, body weight stuff etc.

I have been listening to a lot of podcasts this year. Mostly about diet, paleo etc. However I have been listening to a few fitness ones too. I heard some interviews with people I remember idolizing as a kid like Bill Pearl, Boyer Coe, Samir, Al Beckles (80+), Arnold, that gang.

I was am very happy to see that most are getting along very well. Not just physically but mentally (cognitive) better than most. By voice bill pearl sounds very young. Al Beckles. OMG. Then we have our own Art Devany.

I also watched a youtube vid with Ric Drasin (trained at Golds Venice at the time) talking about the diet followed more or less. Eggs, hamburger, chicken tuna more eggs, some cottage cheese a few veggies. No breads or pasta or potatoes. Little little rice or fruit. Sound familiar?

Well I have the diet down (well nix the dairy and add the coconut) and today I lifted weights old school! Glad to be back.

otzi Guest
    How old are you, if you don't mind me asking.

I am a mere 42. Most of these guys were already done competing in the sport but we still loved them. I actually spoke to Mike Mentzer and I was lucky to go to the Olympia an Arnold Classic when guys like Lee Haney and Lee Labrada etc were competing.

I lost any interest at all after the pursuit of size (Dorian Yates was the first) over everything else. My all time favorite was Bob Paris but I love the freaky (at the time) Tom Platz.

It is sad the way the sport went. It is even sadder it drove me away from something so positive.
    Last edited by stephenmarklay; 05-23-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    43 years old here and remember the names well, you must remember Rich Gaspari as well.

I used to be a subscriber to Muscle and Fitness back in the day. Just recently tossed all my old mags from back in the day, all the supplements and other trash just doesn't interest me anymore. However, the love of weights hasn't left although now I cycle them with 10 - 12 week programs broken up by bodyweight programs for another 10 weeks (Navy Seal workouts and such) to keep things interesting and balanced out.

Welcome back, I'm sure the weights missed you.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

I met so many of the guys back then. I have old pictures with Platz, Lee Haney, Ron Love (my gym at times) , Mike Quinn, Vince Talyor, Mike Christian Berry DeMay and so many more. Drugs were in full force but the times were still a ton of fun.

IcarianVX is online now Senior Member
    I wish I could have been around for the likes of Steve Reeves and Reg Park. Those guys had classic, athletic bodies. Though the 70s and into the 80s did bring some extraordinary bodybuilders. Now they just look like balloon animals with muscles and vascularity painted on.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

cruncan is offline Member
    I like this thread. It's like hearing old war stories.

Man I have really been re-bitten by the body building bug. I can't believe how much fun it is and how enthusiastic I am doing it. Even after a short time I am starting to fill out. I started the standard supplement mix that people are taking. Creatine, Beta Alanine, and some protein power.

I am doing a lot of eggs, meat, raw milk etc. Everything Charles Atlas would be proud of. I am even drinking raw eggs (yes they are less bio-available, I will soon have biotin deficiency and fall over in a pool of my own salmonella invested feces).

When I was 19 or 20 I was pretty big and strong and I want to revisit that. I doubt I will squat 500 pounds but I am working out very hard. Back then we trained way way way too much but as kids we managed. Now I am old and weak but a little wiser.

I was doing some hard training in the early 90's and spoke to Mike Mentzer (actually paid him) about training and I was hooked on that for a while. I stopped training some time after but the training fits my mental approach so I am doing the HIT again.

I am hoping that I have enough in me to still get some size. Regardless it will be fun trying.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    I wish I could have been around for the likes of Steve Reeves and Reg Park. Those guys had classic, athletic bodies. Though the 70s and into the 80s did bring some extraordinary bodybuilders. Now they just look like balloon animals with muscles and vascularity painted on.
    This are the guys I think about. They were genetic freaks in their own right so us mere mortals can only dream. I will post pics in a few months!