Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to react to the negative feedback page

PrimalJenn is offline Member

How to react to the negative feedback

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone!
    I'm a newbie here. I just got Mark's book and I am not even done reading it and am already hooked on the lifestyle. I have been doing paleo for about a week now, more so the 80/20 aspect of it. I feel great, more energy and everything. The problem is that for the past few years I have been one of those that jumped on every diet bandwagon. I am not terribly overweight, about 50lbs from where I was/should be. I do have a health issues that have really made me want to change my ways. At my worst I was clocking in at 250lbs and was diagnosed with sleep apnea, pre diabetes, fatty liver, high blood pressure...the works. So I changed up some things and dropped 45lbs. along with the sleep apnea and pre diabetes. Now I have been hovering around the same lbs. (up and down) for the last year and a half. I have tried everything to jump start my weight loss again...gym, extreme cardio, cabbage soup, cleanses, everything. Now I find myself more in tune with my body and wanting to correct how I feel rather than look. I still have a little bit of high blood pressure which I am on prescribed meds for (lowest dose) and I had a little bit of high cholesterol which I was told to take fish oil for and we will re-test later. Now I am finally loving a plan that I can do for the rest of my life and its hard to have everyone around me say that this is just another fad of mine or its going to make me sicker and everything else. I said that I would keep to myself and let the results speak for themselves, which I am doing for the most part but people don't like hearing "no" when offered cake or potato chips. It's frustrating and at times does make me second guess things bc I am so used to the mainstream saying whole grain diets are what you need. I guess I am just wondering what other newbies say to those that critique them while they may not show the full signs of what living primal can do for you.

me jane is offline Senior Member
    I'm not saying anything to anybody except my DH. I'm prepared to say something along the lines of, "I've been wondering if I am sensitive to wheat/whole grains/legumes/whatever, so I've been eliminating it from my diet to see if I notice any difference."

Another perspective on your fad-hopping is that you are a seeker. You are open to new things and you are willing to try them out to see if they work for you or not.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    I stick to my guns and ignore it. My family has seen me go through diet after diet in my quest to stabilize my blood sugar and thyroid symptoms, so I don't blame them for being skeptical.

I think they'll be pleasantly surprised when I'm still doing this a year (five, ten, thirty) from now.

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    You might point out that potato chips and cake are a whole lot different from whole grains anyway. Why do people try to guilt others into being just like them? "Misery loves company".

Stick to your guns. Do it for yourself.
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

My family's actually been pretty supportive of my change to Primal, but I was already possibly gluten intolerant anyways. I agree with the others here. Do this for yourself and see if it works for you. If it does, stick with it.

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    I have found that many people, especially women, DO NOT want to hear that you are turning down food because you're on a diet. It makes them feel badly about themselves for eating what they're offering you. So don't mention the diet. Just say "no thanks I'm not hungry". If they insist, take the slice of cake, carry it around for a bit, then discreetly throw it in the garbage or leave it on a table.

Littlesigh is offline Senior Member
    Well first off good job on the weight loss! Obviously you have done something correctly...! As for the nay sayers I suggest two things. When confronted with 1. negative feedback, just smile and say thanks for the information; and 2 when saying no to cake and chips ask them if they know how that stuff affects their body! Educate yourself to the point that you can speak logically about the differnet nutrients and how they are metabolized in your body, then let them know...soon they will stop asking. I have had similar experiences but most know not to even ask. Be the light that others follow! And don't look back!

Good luck!
    Living the dream, inside a myth

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    You may not be able to convince them that this is healthy, but I'm not sure you have to. Agree to disagree if they don't like it.

Either way, they'll eventually see it when you're a healthy weight and looking energetic. Kind of hard to deny it then.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

starrchilde is offline Senior Member
    The only person who has really given me grief about this way of eating jumped all over me because meat is bad and grains are good, however being that she's on numerous medications and looking into gastric bypass, I just shrugged and told her what she's doing obviously works for her, so I was going to do what works for me.

Not my best moment, but it shut her up.
    ~ Chris

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didnít understand the assignment.

I told them they didnít understand life.
    ó John Lennon

Morgen is offline Junior Member
    Fantastic job! You must be feeling so much better!!

It is always hard to "be on a diet" and have to explain things to people. I've basically told people that I am close to that I am just trying to cut out all processed foods so that I feel better. I've made it clear that it is a lifestyle change and not a diet. People seem to be more understanding when they are told that you are trying to better yourself as opposed to putting yourself on some sort of restriction, even if it is all semantics.

Regardless, do what makes you feel good and what makes you happy because that leads to success. Everyone else will fall in line.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast