Thread: A mistake that turned into primal yumminess!!!! Beet croutons! page

EvansMom is offline Senior Member

A mistake that turned into primal yumminess!!!! Beet croutons!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay so I walked off (literally) with my son and left a pan of beets & cauliflower in the oven on 415degrees.

I left after already being about 30 minutes into the cooking of these items....my husband pulled them out sometime before the house burned down.

HOWEVER the beets were the most fabulous thing I have ever eaten recently! They turned into "beet croutons" and were amazing on my salad! They were not burned, but simply rather dessicated. They had the slightly crunchy texture to them along with the typical beet taste, and really "made" my salad!

Steps:
    I coated them in oil before roasting....and left them in the oven for about.....well longer than 30 minutes and less than an hour (I think ). On about 415 degrees, on the middle rack. I would test out how long to leave them in and check them about every 5 minutes after they have been in for 45 minutes.

Alternatively, you could try to dehydrate them....that would be good too.

jmday is offline Senior Member
    California Native living in land locked Kansas
    that sounds great!!!

I went to North last night for dinner and gorged on Zucco (zuchini) Chips. I want to learn to make them in the oven
    Julia
    Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
    Started Primal Mid January 2011
    Current Weight 183
    Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
    http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    whole beets? little tiny minced bits of beets? slices? chopped 1 inch cubes? DETAILS!! PLEASE!!! it sounds awesome but 45 minutes would barely soften the whole, unpeeled, fist-sized beets I usually roast.

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moonablaze View Post
    whole beets? little tiny minced bits of beets? slices? chopped 1 inch cubes? DETAILS!! PLEASE!!! it sounds awesome but 45 minutes would barely soften the whole, unpeeled, fist-sized beets I usually roast.
    HEAR HEAR! details! Are we taking sliced beets, what? I would love to try these, they sound yummy.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    I need a break from this site. I read beef croutons.... it's only 10:22am too . Given the crouton association, I'm guessing they're cubes, 1/2"-1".