Thread: Starches? or not? looking for best arguments/thread page

it1958 is offline Senior Member

Starches? or not? looking for best arguments/thread

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello Members! I've been gone for so long and I miss it here so much!

I know I've asked here before about what I should feed my 18-yo son, who is currently weight training and losing his "baby fat". It was suggested that I feed him potatoes a few times/wk (he loves this suggestion as we often fry them in homemade lard).

But I keep reading how bad starches are if you're consuming high fat. This is not so much for him but for me, much older than he...

I'm looking for the best arguments/thread here that helps to explain what you believe and why (w/support).

Thanks so much!

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Kurt Harris has written about it on the Archevore blog. The often-cited issue with starches and fat is that whilst insulin is high, fat will be stored, not burned. Not an issue IMHO if you are not eating starches all the time - you just store some fat and use it later. I also think that real weight training is tough without carbs - I would do post workout carbs or carb cycling.

Now you wrote "baby fat" - this can of course mean loads of things. I assume here that at most he is slightly chubby, but not obese/insulin resistant because then things are slightly different.

As an aside though - there is some issue I believe with fried / deep fried starches in that this develops some toxins. I'd go for baked potatoes, with or without butter on top...

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor Falk View Post
    Kurt Harris has written about it on the Archevore blog. The often-cited issue with starches and fat is that whilst insulin is high, fat will be stored, not burned. Not an issue IMHO if you are not eating starches all the time - you just store some fat and use it later. I also think that real weight training is tough without carbs - I would do post workout carbs or carb cycling.
    Thanks. I'll check out his blog; haven't read there in ages....

Now you wrote "baby fat" - this can of course mean loads of things. I assume here that at most he is slightly chubby, but not obese/insulin resistant because then things are slightly different.
    He is over 6' and did weigh well over 250-275 but is now sitting at 225-235 nicely. He doesn't mind going w/o a shirt (in fact, i suggested he get a naval ring since he likes to run around w/o his shirt on so much... ha!).

As an aside though - there is some issue I believe with fried / deep fried starches in that this develops some toxins. I'd go for baked potatoes, with or without butter on top...
    I do believe toxins are an issue dependent upon the type of oil you use (never use vegetable oils, never heat olive oil; coconut oil is best but we make our own lard).

And if that potato is baked, butter is a must! :-D