Thread: Fat Loss: Resistance training vs. Aerobic exercise page

Vick is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

A while back I posted a claim from Nautilus North that you can lose weight by using resistance training minutes a week.

I call that a "Yeah right" Statement. You read the statement and say to yourself "Yeah... Right!"

This link is a one page article by Nash Jocic a trainer from the U.K.

It is one of the better explanations and comparisons I've come across.

http://www.ultimateshapeltd.com/arti...c-training.htm

Katt is offline Senior Member

I've been working with the Body By Science book for the last few weeks. So far, my strength has increased, but my weight loss is still in a stall. Thanks for the link, Vick.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

ChristopherPlank Guest

The new studies are showing that high intensity workouts get you better cardio results in less time than medium-intensity aerobic exercise.

The article that most recently blew my mind is about a study which determined that 6 minutes of sprinting-type exercise PER WEEK was as effective in improving cardio conditioning than 30 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise per day.

Here are the links:

http://www.begin2dig.com/2009/07/fitness-in-6-minutes-of-effort-week-or.html

http://www.begin2dig.com/2009/08/6-minutes-of-fitness-part-ii-plain.html

What's everyone going to do with all that extra free time?

Vick is offline Senior Member

This study shows the effects for diabetics.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7852987.stm

All this really matches Mark's exercise pyramid.

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

If I had to guess why this works better I'd say it's probably due to insulin resistance.

If you really hammer on your system/muscles (like a high intensity exercise) you'll probably make them more sensitive to insulin.

When your muscles are more sensitive to insulin, then you can put your nutrients in your muscles rather than in your fat cells.

That may also account for why it's helping diabetics.

Just a theory, (I didn't really read through the articles that well. Sean = tired this morning.)

-Sean

Geoff is offline Member

The new research on short hard lifting (and sprinting) is certainly great news. Plank makes an important point though - I believe he's correct that most of those studies compare intense work with medium-intensity aerobic exercise ("chronic cardio").

Regular Primal low level aerobic activity (as distinguished from "chronic cardio") still has a lot of value. Mark writes about it here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/health-benefits-moderate-exercise/

It's sure fun to hit the sexy, high intensity stuff, but don't completely forget the low level activity that Mark calls "the crucial base of Primal Blueprint fitness."

Just a reminder.

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member

For myself, I am combining sprints and cardio and weight training and they all seem to be increasing each other better together than when I was doing them separately or forgetting one.

ChristopherPlank Guest

Very true, Geoff.

The time saved by cutting out the "chronic cardio" could definitely be wisely used for some relaxing walking and hiking.

aaronrockies is offline Junior Member
    Hey guys,

Let's say i've been doing only the elliptical as cardio for about an hour for 2 months, and 3 days a week. I also maintain my heart rate in the fat burning zone (60-70% Max heart rate). Does our body get adapted to low intensity cardio? hence burning lesser calories?

Also, the reason why i prefer Low intensity over High intensity is because when i perform my HIIT, i'm more hungrier throughout the day. I crave soo much food, when compared to low intensity cardio. I tend to eat more when i do my HIIT.

So which type of cardio is efficient for fat loss keeping in mind that i eat more when doing HIIT Vs Eating correct doing Low intensity cardio?

I'm kinda confused. Any help is much appreciated.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Aaron, what do you mean by "eating correct" or "eating more"? Eating more when you do HIIT is perfectly natural, as long as you are eating primal foods.

Yes, the body will adapt to cardio work, but the general trend for most people doing the low level activity is to overdo it. You don't need to be breaking a sweat or breathing hard, and will lose a lot of the benefits when you go too hard. Don't do it.

Personally, I'd get off the elliptical and walk outside. I think it screws around with what should be your natural movements.

Both walking and sprinting are necessary. Walk a lot. Sprint occasionally. Remember that what you put in your mouth is far more important to fat loss than any workout you can do.