Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with lots of roast meat? page

danmerk23 is offline Junior Member

Question What to do with lots of roast meat?

Primal Fuel
    I bought a cow last month and we've been eating lots of the ground meat (which is incredible). I'm ok with steaks; not my favorite but we eat a steak a week. My question is what to do with the rest of the animal? I have so many roasts and stew cuts and its now almost June. I don't want to be eating so many roasts in hot weather. Any creative suggestions? Thanks!

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Defrost. When mostly but not quite all defrosted, cut the roast into steaks, and toss em on the BBQ. I personally like to cook a big roast on the weekend, and use it for the next several days as either a meal, or sliced up in other things. I have no problem finishing off a roast! Best part is you get several meals for one evening's cooking, so the oven is on less.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    cook up the meat any way you like and keep it in the fridge in stripped, shredded, pulled, etc. form and have it on salads

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Take the roasts or stew meat and cook them in the crockpot with broth and lots of veggies, any leftovers, you can turn into a hash and eat with eggs for breakfast the next day.
    Georgette

microkate is offline Member
    We just picked up a quarter cow from our butcher this weekend, so I've been doing some menu planning/brainstorming on what to do with all our roasts too. The ground beef is easy, and we do a lot of steaks on the grill, but the roasts are a little harder to figure out since there's only 2 of us. For the most part, I plan to cook them in various seasonings, then freeze the rest of the roast in dinner size servings. These are two that I've tried before:

Marinate a roast with salt, onions, pepper, a little vinegar and TONS of rosemary for 24-48hrs, then cook it in a crockpot or in the oven until tender. Chill it, slice thinly, and you have tasty cold roast beef. It's great on it's own, in lettuce wraps, on salads, and even freezes and reheats well.

Marinate one in fajita-style seasonings, then roast it until it falls apart, add more seasonings and sauteed peppers and onions. We do "fajita" salads on a regular basis, using beef, pork or chicken.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    The crock pot is great for "low and slow" roasts (the ones that have lots of connective tissue like chuck roast, 7 bone, etc). For the roasts that are good cooked rare-er i find that correct slicing is key: cut thinly and against the grain. I did an eye of round roast using the method where you pre-heat the oven to like 500, put in the roast, turn off the oven, and leave it in till the interal temp is as desired and it turned out pretty good. But if I hadn't sliced the roast thinly, it would have been pretty tough even though it was medium rare.

If all else fails, you can turn the roasts into ground beef yourself, since you have more ideas about cooking it. The grinder attachement for the KitchenAid stand mixer works pretty well and I think stand-alone grinders aren't all that expensive either. You can even cut the roast into cubes, freeze them for a little while and pulse them in the food processor. Grinding your own meat will allow you to produce the most amazing burgers. If you're interested, check out all of Kenji's burger related articles on seriouseats.com
    Last edited by yodiewan; 05-23-2011 at 10:46 AM.

Scotty is offline Senior Member
    Took delivery of side of grass fed cow in early January, not much left now. Crock-potted all the roasts--incredible. Grilled all of the steaks. One kidney, soup bones, and short ribs left. Organ phobia so probably won't be able to eat the kidney. Looking for simple way to cook the short-ribs. Any suggestions?

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Took delivery of side of grass fed cow in early January, not much left now. Crock-potted all the roasts--incredible. Grilled all of the steaks. One kidney, soup bones, and short ribs left. Organ phobia so probably won't be able to eat the kidney. Looking for simple way to cook the short-ribs. Any suggestions?
    Salt & pepper them, broil in the oven for a few minutes til brown, then mix up some lime juice & zest, grated ginger, honey, soy and garlic (about 1/3 cup total), put the ribs in the crockpot and pour the sauce over. Wait 4-6 hours, and enjoy!

Dalton is offline Senior Member
    Never underestimate the power of a shredded beef omelet......

danmerk23 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks! These are great ideas. Most still feel like the winter crock-pot type meals; but I like the idea of a roast beef lunch meat like meal. I've been on this lettuce sandwich lately so that would work really well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast