Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Are legumes healthier than fruit, nuts and potatoes? page 3

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by cassel_man View Post
    Our body doesn't need vitamin C? Since when? Have we recently evolved the missing enzyme in vitamin C biosynthesis? Government edict says we need a paltry 90 mg of vitamin C daily, a minimal amount to avoid scurvy. Had a discussion on this on another forum recently. Animals make insane amounts of vitamin C daily (goats make 13000 mg/daily), why would humans need less than 1/100th of that? Enough on vitamin C though...

I personally put nuts and beans in the same camp, ok occasionally, but not a foundation of a diet. Like dairy, I handle beans just fine. I do dairy daily. Beans a couple times a month, but haven't had any for a few weeks now.

Some of the replies in this thread got me thinking, is Kool-aid paleo? Because it seems like many folks are chugging it.
    I stated that wrong. Our body may need Vitamin C but its not really required in our diets. Or, its simply incredibly easy to get and NO ONE should worry about how much they are getting as long as they are consuming some veggie or fruit. Even those who don't probably should not worry. I remember reading about Vitamin C Why We Get Fat and thought I read that we don't really have a dietary requirement of Vitamin C. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    See, that's the thing. I have never found a typical fruit I have had digestion issue with. I can get a little rumble from an avocado, but it's nothing major and they are incredibly fibrous. I think an avocado has around 20g of carbs, but about 16g is fiber, so some gurgling is expected.

The interesting thing is that sweet potatoes really give me a rumble. I remove the skins, cut off the ends and I'm basically left with just very soft starch, and it still gives me all kinds of intestinal gurgling. I don't react nearly as badly to a can of black beans, yet sweet potatoes are Primal approved and legumes aren't. My body tells me that it likes white rice and beans far better than sweet potatoes, but I rarely eat white rice and beans and chow down on a dozen sweet potatoes in a carb refeed. Maybe I'm doing it wrong for my body?

I ate 5 sweet potatoes last night and my gut is absolutely singing right now. It sounds like that machine from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

I think you're missing the point. Starches can be a very important tool for fat loss and metabolic manipulation. You shouldn't completely cut them out of your diet. We're trying to figure out exactly which starches are best to eat when we do indulge. If you read the Primal Blueprint, sweet potatoes get the thumbs up, but legumes and rice don't. Well, according to my body, legumes and white rice are better than sweet potatoes, so what do I do? Do I listen to my body like the Primal Blueprint recommends, or do I stick to what was written in print and may not apply 100% to everyone? I want to know why beans are worse than most fruit, because on paper, a serving of black beans is healthier for you than an apple or an orange.
    You make excellent points. Some people think they have to follow TPB to a T. I used to be one but have learned my lesson. Its simply a guideline and on needs to do what they truly believe is best for them. I am reading The 4 Hour Body and that is why I interested in learning more about legumes. I probably will NOT start to consume them. But, when my grandmother prepares a bean dish in the future I will probably eat them without worry.

I am not saying we need the fiber in legumes. I am saying that about half of the carb content is from fiber. And, unless you eat a sick amount of plants, the fiber will benefit you since it replaces starch or sugar.

I just looked up the nutrition content of beans and fruit and its actually not that much different. I was wrong here. But, the carb content is better since legumes have more protein and fiber so this is a big plus. In general, more people have problems digesting legumes compared to fruit. This is why I will probably not ever add legumes to my diet intentionally. And, I love smoothies. I refuse to make a smoothie out of legumes. Fruit is ideal.

I am simply testing eveyones knowledge around here. I am curious as to what YOU believe and do. I will always recommend a primal based lifestyle. But, one must still do what he or she feels best. If you are a primal vegetarian then legumes are probably a viable option. A person who is a primal vegetarian who allows legumes will more than likely stick with it and then possibly start consuming meat down the road.

For now I will stick to fruit in my smoothies and the occasional potato while avoiding legumes unless a family member prepares them. If I pass gass after consuming then I may never eat them again. But, a super small amount should not cause this.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    Properly prepared legumes are probably safe to eat for people without gut damage. I'll be glad when the tide turns back again and people get over this fructose is toxic thing. A little fruit is good for you and you do need Vitamin C. You don't need high doses of Vitamin C. Over consumption of fructose is a bad thing, especially if you are trying to lose weight. Bananas are probably the worst fruit you can eat.
    I would love to know why bananas are the worst fruit to eat. I say clementines or oranges are far worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    Properly prepared legumes are probably safe to eat for people without gut damage. I'll be glad when the tide turns back again and people get over this fructose is toxic thing. A little fruit is good for you and you do need Vitamin C. You don't need high doses of Vitamin C. Over consumption of fructose is a bad thing, especially if you are trying to lose weight. Bananas are probably the worst fruit you can eat.
    I just compared bananas to oranges and I conclude that oranges are worse. I can probably find a few other fruits too. Oranges have less nutritional value overall and offer more fructose compared to bananas.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Our body doesn't need vitamin C? Since when? Have we recently evolved the missing enzyme in vitamin C biosynthesis? Government edict says we need a paltry 90 mg of vitamin C daily, a minimal amount to avoid scurvy. Had a discussion on this on another forum recently. Animals make insane amounts of vitamin C daily (goats make 13000 mg/daily), why would humans need less than 1/100th of that? Enough on vitamin C though...

I personally put nuts and beans in the same camp, ok occasionally, but not a foundation of a diet. Like dairy, I handle beans just fine. I do dairy daily. Beans a couple times a month, but haven't had any for a few weeks now.

Some of the replies in this thread got me thinking, is Kool-aid paleo? Because it seems like many folks are chugging it.
    He didn't say we don't need vitamin C. He said we don't require much and it's easy to get. One little jalapeno pepper has more vitamin C than an orange, and it's more than enough for an entire day. If you ate 5 jalapenos a week, you'd have more than enough vitamin C. It's in practically every vegetable, and unless you're on a pure meat and dairy diet - which virtually no one is - it should not be a concern. He is saying that the people that eat fruit because of vitamin C content are wasting their time and just eating sugar for no reason. You don't need any fruit at all in your diet to be healthy. In fact, you may be better off not having any fruit, ever.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    Bananas are too high in carbs. Banana = 22 carbs, orange = 11 carbs. Bananas are too high in potassium. .

Legumes contain incomplete proteins.
    ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

My Blog.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Our body doesn't need vitamin C? Since when? Have we recently evolved the missing enzyme in vitamin C biosynthesis? Government edict says we need a paltry 90 mg of vitamin C daily, a minimal amount to avoid scurvy. Had a discussion on this on another forum recently. Animals make insane amounts of vitamin C daily (goats make 13000 mg/daily), why would humans need less than 1/100th of that?
    A classic opportunity was lost in a Linus Pauling talk once (possibly just as well ...) If I remember it right, he pointed to a German Shepherd, and said, "this dog makes 20 grams of Vitamin C a day ..." and therefore drew the conclusion we should take a pretty good percentage of that daily.

What someone might have said: "Oh, and how long does that dog live, again?"

There's a give and take in our amazing internal chemistry, a push and pull between pro-oxidants and anti-oxidants. Those awful free radicals are the ammunition our immune cells shoot at invaders, and our immune cells need that awful glucose to make them. Apparently we all are in a battle with micro-organisms wishing to (and often able to) set up housekeeping inside us, and even inside our cells. Our guts need to be populated with good critters, and even a few bad critters to keep our immune systems primed. It's a constant balancing act keeping this internal village in order. On the one hand, inflammation can make us miserable and hurt our joints, and the insides of our arteries; on the other hand, too little inflammation and we'll die of infection.

It's possible that the body dumps Vitamin C in gram doses so fast because it's inherently dangerous to have much of it around. On the other hand, it's part of the chain of anti-oxidants we need, and it is required for a lot of bodily processes. Without it we bruise, and our teeth fall out. In other words, without it we are scurvy wretches.

Damned if you do; damned if you don't.

Blackbird is offline Senior Member
    I've never cared for beans & other legumes that much because they don't agree with my system. It wasn't hard to say no to them, although I certainly have said yes to quite a bit of hummus in the past.
    Overall, it's like many others have said: Eat what works for you. PB as she is writ is working very well for me and so far I don't feel the need to experiment.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I think the ultimate question this thread should ask is: "If we are going to purposely eat carbohydrates at times, and there are reasons why we should intermittently, which carbs should we consume?"

Are beans a worse choice than yams? Than white rice? Than white potatoes? Than fruit sugar? If we're going to consume carbs, they may not be that bad of a choice on occasion.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 05-23-2011 at 07:20 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    if you prepare beans correctly, you should be fine eating them. i would say a fair amount of people would do better with beans than dairy, if they didnt mentally give into the dogma surrounding them so are left unwilling to try on their own. i know for myself, with the cost of food, i have been considering preparing a crockpot of beans with ground meat and eating on it all week...i cant think of a better money saving tactic. it would also be very 'unrewarding' and im pretty sure youd just simply eat when hungry and stop when youre full.

i dunno, the only bean i like is a chickpea i cant stand the much bite of every other bean

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I had cut out legumes for my first couple months on the PB. I eventually decided to experiment with reintroducing them in small quantities (maybe a cup a week or so), and haven't had any problems. I decided to do so because the lectin activity of properly cooked beans is undetectable, and they don't contain any more phytic acid than Primal-approved foods like nuts. Also, my chili recipe just wasn't as good without them.

Ultimately, I still don't think that beans should be used as a dietary staple, but I'm not convinced that they are necessarily harmful in small quantities if you tolerate them well.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast