Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can nuts make you gain weight? page

maba is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

We've discussed plenty before about how nuts can stall weight. But can nuts actually make you gain weight, considering their carb count is relatively less. I've gained about 5 lbs since I started primal. I was in denial until my mom told me today that I look like I've gained weight. I've been pretty primal since August. As most people here on the forum already know, nuts are my nemesis. Can I lose weight if I give up nuts temporarily?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I have a horrible time with nut butter- probably because I can eat so many nuts worth so quickly. If I buy a jar of nut butter and don't control myself with it (which means dipping into it daily), my weight loss essentially stalls, or my weight goes up.

I guess what I'd say is, try it and see what happens. If after a month or two there's no difference, resume eating nuts.

Vivian is offline Junior Member

yea...since going primal ive eaten pounds of nuts! when i first started i lost about 9lbs and now im almost back to my initial weight (i gained like 6 lbs) so it could definitely be overeating fat in general and not burning up those stores

Del Mar Mel Guest

Nuts are a super concentrated source of energy so you need to be moderate with them. One thing to consider is that if you were eating them in nature and had to work to get into walnut shells and such, you would certainly eat a lot fewer than if they are just sitting in a bowl. I try to keep it to about 200 calories/ day with nuts.

Also, are you eating raw nuts and raw nut butters? I find I don't tend to over eat raw nuts. The roasted, salted stuff I could eat like popcorn. You will get more nutrients out of raw nuts so it's the better choice.

bobbylight Guest

To answer the question, of course you can gain weight eating nuts. They have calories (a lot of them actually) so the more calories you eat over maintenence, the more weight you will gain. Anyway, here is an interesting article on nuts and weight gain.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...weight-qa.html

halloweenbinge is offline Junior Member

Yes, calories overall matter as well as carbohydrates.

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

Id recommend you ease off the nuts a little bit-perhaps just eat raw like DMM said, or homemade nut butters (which is harder to overdose on). I've been primal for a few months now, but while staying low-carb Ive seemed to be overeating in fat calories and gained a few (my mom mentioned it to me too, whic hurts since Im trying to be a primal 'role model' But limiting to a handful of nuts may be helpful. good luck!

wolverine is offline Junior Member

YEEESSSS it can, it nearly destroyed my primal progress, and its so easy to overindulge without realising it, i first cut it out of my diet, now my nuts intake is so limited that i cant remember the last time i had a handfull

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

I only eat raw nuts. I went for the nut butters and found them so lovely I knew I would have problems! Having said that though, I am not a massive eater anyway and I do eat nuts every day - just not very many at all!

I could try cutting them out and seeing if that does anything with my weight loss, but to be honest, I'm quite happy with my progress, so I'll keep them in for now.

@maba - have you gained weight in a 'fat' way or in a 'muscle' way? Do you look good/feel good?

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

I have a really bad problem with nuts too. Fortunately, about a week ago I came across some rancid hazelnuts and they gave me a terrible headache and allergic reaction. That did it for me - I'm laying off the nuts for a while. When I do eat them though, I'm going to soak them over night.

I gave up nuts, cheese, coffee - and guess what? I'm still not losing weight. :P

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast