Thread: Eggplant pasta and other goodies. page

rabraham2 is offline Senior Member

Eggplant pasta and other goodies.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Alton Brown has always been one of my favorite chefs on the Food Network. I have his Good Eats Cookbook (the early years) and i found a couple tasty looking recipies. This is one of them.

Eggplant Pasta
    Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Prep Time:40 minInactive Prep Time: -- Cook Time:10 min
    Level:
    Difficult
    Serves:
    4 servings

Ingredients
    2 medium-large eggplants
    Kosher salt, for purging
    4 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon chile flakes
    4 small tomatoes, seeded and chopped
    1/2 cup cream
    4 tablespoons basil chiffonade
    1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    Freshly ground pepper

Directions
    Peel each eggplant leaving 1-inch of skin at the top and bottom unpeeled. Slice the eggplant thinly lengthwise, about 1/4-inch thick. Evenly coat each slice with the salt and purge on a sheet pan fitted with a rack for 30 minutes. Rinse with cold water and roll in paper towels to dry. Slice the pieces into thin strips to resemble pasta.

In a large saute pan heat the oil. Add the garlic and chili flakes and toast. Add the eggplant "pasta" and toss to coat. Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. Add the cream and increase heat to thicken sauce. Finally add the basil and Parmesan and toss to combine. Season with pepper, no salt needed as the eggplant will have residual salt from the purge. Serve immediately
    A rose by any other name.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Sounds good. I tried eggplant lasagna last night. Standard except eggplant instead of noodles. pasta sauce, eggplant (prepared like you did), ground beef, ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, herbs.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

brooki is offline Member
    I am always trying to find pasta replacements but I have not tried eggplant. Will be trying this, this week.

I tend to be skeptical about replacements. But eggplant is very Italian.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

jamshedpr543 is offline Junior Member
    First time i have heard about eggplant pasta

localad is offline Senior Member
    Same ingredients but: prep 1 min. cook 10 min. level:easy

Just chop the eggplant up into chunks and cook it straight away with the other ingredients in the same order!

pasta la vista.
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Yeah i told my mom i'd thought i remembered seeing a recipe for eggplant pasta, and she said "yeah, you cook it with the noodles like you would anything else." I think it's going to take her a while to get used to me not eating bready substances. I personally wasn't fond of the eggplant parmesian my mom made a couple years ago, but then again, your tastes change, and it can't hurt to try.

One recipe said to roast the eggplant first. Roasting makes most vegetables delicious.
    Ancestral Health Info

mmmm....i'll have to try that. i'm open to trying just about anything. I will not, absolutely will not do organ meats, though. Just the thought makes me want to gag. i can't do it. I can't even eat shrimp. I tried. I almost threw up on the Habatchi grill at Kobe's. My boyfriend laughed, though, so i suppose it wasn't a total loss...

Quote Originally Posted by rabraham2 View Post
    mmmm....i'll have to try that. i'm open to trying just about anything. I will not, absolutely will not do organ meats, though. Just the thought makes me want to gag. i can't do it. I can't even eat shrimp. I tried. I almost threw up on the Habatchi grill at Kobe's. My boyfriend laughed, though, so i suppose it wasn't a total loss...
    Yeah. I don't anything that makes me uncomfortable.
    Ancestral Health Info