Thread: Slow, fat she-grok cycles 47 miles page

me jane is offline Senior Member

Slow, fat she-grok cycles 47 miles

Primal Fuel
    Note: I'm not a newbie to cycling. I'm just slow and fat.

DH and I rode 8.5 miles to the starting point, then did 30 miles with the cycling club D group (second slowest pace, but between 12-15mpg). You might not associate BIG ASS HILLS with north central Indiana, but believe me, my friend, they exist. The first incredibly steep hill I didn't downshift soon enough, so I had to pull over mid-hill, but at least I didn't pop my chain & tip over like another rider.

After that, I made it up EVERY hill, even when some other skinny folks had to walk. I just focus on going as slowly as I need in the lowest gear I need, and I couldn't care less if I'm always last one up the hill. Another guy I know just hit an apparent blood sugar low and was struggling the last leg of the ride. Seeing that really made me appreciate the PB approach.

Pre-ride I ate a big plate of scrambled eggs w/cheese, salsa, and 20 g black beans. As a diabetic, I've had good experiences with beans keeping my blood sugars level on long rides. During the ride I ate 20 g of homemade trail mix (almonds, walnuts, raisins, choco chips, 110 g total)--took in just in case, but didn't really need it. Afterward with the club I ate a six-inch Subway turkey sub, but pitched half the bun, and caved and ate a bag of yummy Doritos!

Then we rode 8.5 miles home, the last five of which were in the rain.

I MUST SAY: I've never felt this good after a long ride. I'm not on the verge of collapse or anything (altho I have plans to get nekkid & meet DH in the bed after he gets out of the shower). Muscles feel pretty good, too! And I wasn't RAVENOUS when we got to the lunch spot. I was glad to eat, but I didn't feel the need to INHALE food, as I have in the past.

DH isn't doing PB, but he seemed quite impressed with my performance today!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations!!!! This is a major accomplishment and, yes, you should be proud of yourself.

What kind of bike do you ride? A road bike or a hybrid?
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Wow! That's awesome Jane!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Silky is offline Senior Member
    Well done! I've only done 20 miles so far. I've noticed it is easier on pb especially with regard to hunger. How often do you cycle.
    My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    Congratulations!!!! This is a major accomplishment and, yes, you should be proud of yourself.

What kind of bike do you ride? A road bike or a hybrid?
    For long rides like this I ride a road bike. I have an entry level Trek. For shorter jaunts, like my 2-mile ride to work, I use an old mountain bike that's been well tuned up.

Quote Originally Posted by Silky View Post
    Well done! I've only done 20 miles so far. I've noticed it is easier on pb especially with regard to hunger. How often do you cycle.
    Silky, well, I ride at least a few miles (4-5) every day, and cycling club rides a couple times a week (except we haven't been doing that due to cold/wet weather). DH and I have signed up for RAGBRAI, a 475-mile, seven-day ride across Iowa the last week of July, so we better get our butts/thighs/calves in gear!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    @me jane: reason I was asking is I just got an awesome new unconventional saddle that lets me ride with the wind for forever, it seems. Previously, it was always a painful saddle that would end things for me way before the rest of me had had enough. I have a hybrid (Trek Women-Specific Design....LOVE!), though, and I'm not quite sure if this saddle would exactly work on a road bike (?).

Anyway, here it is. It looks weird, but feels like I'm sitting in a chair!

Amazon.com: Schwinn Stress Free Bicycle Seat: Sports & Outdoors

Some of the reviews says they felt like they were falling off the seat, and I'm wondering if those folks had road bikes. I don't have this sensation at all on my hybrid.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Tiger, I have no idea if that saddle would work on a road bike. The guys at your bike shop would probably have lots of opinions about that! Anyway, I'm glad to hear you found a saddle that lets you ride for hours!