Thread: Question about eggs and autoimmune diseases page

PoeticPixe is offline Member

Question about eggs and autoimmune diseases

Primal Fuel
    I've been primal for about 2 1/2 months now. I don't do dairy or nightshades, due to having an autoimmune disease (MS). It was quite tough giving up dairy, and even now, I have cheese once in a while. =/ My question pertains to eggs and autoimmune diseases. I read somewhere that they can irritate the gut the same as dairy and gluten (with some people)? Personally, I haven't had too many symptoms from the start, pertaining to my MS. Just fatigue on occasion, and that has cleared up! SO I don't really know if eggs affect me that much. Lack of symptoms does not always mean MS is not progressing, as you probably know. I'm assuming it's not getting any worse though. =)

I've even watched Cordain's video presentation on how a paleolithic diet can affect MS. I don't think he mentioned eggs. I should mention that I do eat fatty meats on a regular basis, not just lean meats. I think that's the main difference between primal and paleo, besides dairy in moderation with primal (which I don't do, as mentioned). Anyway, should I be cutting out eggs as well? Will dairy on very rare occasion hurt?? I can give up my occasional cheese "splurge." But....my eggs!?
    Sleep is the best meditation.
    - H.H. 14th Dalai Lama

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Eggs are in issue for a lot of autoimmune people, but not all. I also ahve an autoimmune disease (Hashimoto's thyroiditis) and I do ok with eggs in my diet.
    PS, I just learned something intriguing about MS- a lot of MS cases might actually be chronic Lyme Disease! I watched a documentary called "Under Our Skin" (Netfilx has it on Instant Watch) and one doctor said that every case of MS, ALS and Parkinson's he's seen has also had Lyme. It was fascinating to see people recover from what they had been told were other (incurable) diseases. So, it might be worth a look!

PoeticPixe is offline Member
    I saw that available on Netflix too. I didn't watch it yet. My neurologist actually tested me for Lyme Disease. Any good neurologist should, when it comes to MS. He did MRI's and all, to make sure it wasn't anything else. I'm not sure if the traditional test used to detect lyme detects chronic Lyme disease. I really do have to watch that film. Hmm...maybe I should temporarily eliminate eggs, and then reintroduce them and see what happens.
    Sleep is the best meditation.
    - H.H. 14th Dalai Lama

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Robb Wolf mentions in a couple podcasts that eggs may be an issue for people with autoimmune disorders. His advice is to cut out all potential irritants for a month, then add them back in one by one and "test" to see if it affects how you feel.

If you're up to listening to the podcast, I believe it's Paleolithic Solution Episode 12.

Best of health to you.

kkcarlton is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoeticPixe View Post
    I saw that available on Netflix too. I didn't watch it yet. My neurologist actually tested me for Lyme Disease. Any good neurologist should, when it comes to MS. He did MRI's and all, to make sure it wasn't anything else. I'm not sure if the traditional test used to detect lyme detects chronic Lyme disease. I really do have to watch that film. Hmm...maybe I should temporarily eliminate eggs, and then reintroduce them and see what happens.
    What kind of test did your doctor do and which lab if you don't mind me asking?

BTW, Cordain says yolks are ok but whites can cause problems for people with AI.
    Started Atkins:: 1996
    Started Paleo: 2003
    Illness Started: 2008
    Started Leptin Reset: 01.10.2012
    Thighs Starting Size: 54.8 cm
    Thighs Goal Size: 53.5 cm
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread46986.html

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Did you watch her videos?
    Terry Wahls MD | Defeating Progressive Multiple Sclerosis without Drugs | MS Recovery | Food As Medicine
    I don't know anything about autoimmune diseases and don't know how helpful she/her videos are.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    OP, don't think about it as giving up eggs forever.
    Try for 30/60 days, and see what happens.
    I didn't want to give eggs as well after giving up dairy..
    But when you're desperate enough you'll agree to experiment.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I have MS. I've been asymptomatic for the past 2 years (with the exception of fatigue, which I just can't seem to cure...yet.) with a follow-up MRI showing no new lesions.

When I had my first symptom about 6 years ago (optic neuritis), I cut out gluten and dairy. For the next few years, I continued to have mild symptoms - L'Hermitte's sign, my left arm going numb, etc... Then I decided to delve a little more into the nutrition aspect to see if I could really kick this thing to the curb.

Unfortunately there is very little research on MS and diet, so you're pretty much on a solo mission here, but it's also exciting if you view yourself as a pioneer.

I started out with:
    1) The Swank diet (the original die specifically for MS folks that actually has 50+ years of following people who both stayed on the diet and gave up [they were used as the control].)
    2) The Best Bet diet (Basically the Swank diet minus gluten, dairy, legumes)
    3) Low-Fat Paleo
    4) Higher-Fat Paleo/Primal

I've also done every elimination test I could think of, and found no issues with eggs or nightshades.

What I think is critical is to make sure your digestive system is in TOP working order. There is a pretty reasonable theory out there that leaky gut issues lead to autoimmune problems. So, excellent digestive health makes a lot of sense.

To do this, I highly recommend:
    1) L-Glutamine
    2) Probiotics and fermented foods
    3) Low fiber (Fiber is undigestible and a major burden to the digestive system)
    4) Good quality saturated fats

I was really afraid of the saturated fats part, because the Swank diet focuses on saturated fat being THE MS flare trigger. I still don't totally understand this, but I gradually increased my sat fats and have had no flares.

The other MAJOR issue is stress. The other change I made 2 years ago was to end a very long term, stressful and unfulfilling relationship. I completely changed my life around and moved to a new city. I actually think that this major life change could have more to do with my health than diet. Stress is a proven trigger for MS flares, and chronic stress is insidious; it's easy to forget that it's even there when you get used to it as a part of your daily life.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 07-18-2012 at 11:32 AM.