Thread: Is it ok to sprint one day after your resistance training? page

greekoo is offline Junior Member

Is it ok to sprint one day after your resistance training?

Hey all! Today I did my weight training in the morning (about 30 mins squats, presses, pull-ups). Is it ok to sprint the next day in the morning or it will be bad because I might be a little sore from the resistance's workout?

Thanks for your response.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I do it all the time and I'm the leg god.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

wiltondeportes Guest
    My advice is only do it if you want to do it. If your body feels good enough to do it, you probably could be working harder. Though It's good to get out and run loosely any day of the week.

I think back to back days of intense workouts is probably not going to work unless they are totally unrelated parts of the body. Do your pistol squats or w/e on the lifting weights day, and then the next day, just play a game of ultimate frisbee, basketball, or walk your dog in the park. If you casually get up and move around, it's going to give you the most benefit with the least effort. Trying two days straight of MUSCLE BUILDING on any muscle is a losing proposition.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    I refrain from doing sprint work the day before a leg-heavy strength session. Otherwise, it's fair game anytime!
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greekoo View Post
    Hey all! Today I did my weight training in the morning (about 30 mins squats, presses, pull-ups). Is it ok to sprint the next day in the morning or it will be bad because I might be a little sore from the resistance's workout?

Thanks for your response.
    Depends. If you are following a linear progression powerlifting program (eg Rip's Starting Strength, or any other 5x5 program), chances are that you do need the 4 days per week for recovery. Same if you are following an intermediate program (eg Texas Method, or 5/3/1) and clearly if you are following an elite program.

There are programs out there though that mix met-cons ("sprinting") and lifting, eg there are two different protocols described in the CrossFit Journal - those will generally dial back the lifting a bit back to allow for the metcons (or dial the metcons a bit back to allow for the lifting if you come at it from the XF angle).

That was the long answer. Short answer: yes - but use an appropriate protocol and chose your exercises accordingly. I for example would not run-sprint the day before or after PR squats. And dont listen to Alex on this one, he needs to run every day for different reasons :-) http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30621.html

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    listen to your body. I cannot. I'm doing Rip's starting strength and I need my recovery time. I do active recovery (walking the day after I lift, some interval training the next day, but no sprinting at this point). If you were doing something like PBF, you could sprint the day after.