Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thyroid question page

geostump is online now Senior Member

Thyroid question

Primal Fuel
    I believe my thyroid may be on the underactive side. Hair loss(stopped since primal but no regrowth where lost), low basal body temp, periodic fatigue and I've been primal since January and its a bitch to lose fat. I can't get in to have any bloodwork done until at least September of this year, no insurance until then. My question is that other than being primal is there anything I can be doing now to help with this or should I not even mess with this and do what I am doing?
    Georgette

onalark is offline Senior Member
    I got nothin' other than what you're already doing. If your thyroid has stopped functioning, then you need hormone replacement, and that requires bloodwork and tinkering.

Grains, legumes, dairy, possibly nightshades, and cruciferous vegetables are the five things cited as "to be avoided" (i.e., remove them from your diet completely) by the hypo crowd. Admittedly, I still eat tomatoes and peppers and broccoli, but I'm medicated and have been for a while.

Iodine. I am still utterly confused by this, but from what I gather -- avoid it.

Other than that, good luck and take care and all that good stuff.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Low iron can do that too. I would think it wouldn't make sense to do anything related to thyroid til you know for sure that is what it is, but I might try an iron supplement and see if that helps. I have had both lot iron and thyroid issues, and they have always felt very much the same to me. Even though I have a high meat diet compared to most, I still need to supplement. It is pretty common in women - about 16% of American women.

When I have had low iron and supplemented, it took me 2-3 weeks to notice the difference, and it came on gradually.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    I got nothin' other than what you're already doing. If your thyroid has stopped functioning, then you need hormone replacement, and that requires bloodwork and tinkering.

Grains, legumes, dairy, possibly nightshades, and cruciferous vegetables are the five things cited as "to be avoided" (i.e., remove them from your diet completely) by the hypo crowd. Admittedly, I still eat tomatoes and peppers and broccoli, but I'm medicated and have been for a while.

Iodine. I am still utterly confused by this, but from what I gather -- avoid it.

Other than that, good luck and take care and all that good stuff.
    Considering that I am PCOS, hormone replacement is a no-no. Everything I've read lately has been telling me that I should supplement with iodine and ditch fluoride everything. I don't eat grains, working on nightshades, I have a love for dairy though and I only eat cruciferous vegetables. So what in the hell do I eat?
    Georgette

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Iodine can make things worse for some women with hypothyroid, and at this point, you don't even know for sure that is what it is. I would wait on anything thyroid related til you know for sure.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

patchooli is offline Member
    if you think your thyroid is underactive, get yourself to the doctor. even if you find ways to deal with it naturally, it's important to know how underactive it is.

make sure your doc checks your antibodies as well as the usual tests. a lot of docs don't and they miss the beginnings of autoimmune thyroid disease.

patchooli is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Considering that I am PCOS, hormone replacement is a no-no. Everything I've read lately has been telling me that I should supplement with iodine and ditch fluoride everything. I don't eat grains, working on nightshades, I have a love for dairy though and I only eat cruciferous vegetables. So what in the hell do I eat?
    they just mean thyroid hormone replacement. i have pcos also and am on thyroid hormones.

Quote Originally Posted by patchooli View Post
    if you think your thyroid is underactive, get yourself to the doctor. even if you find ways to deal with it naturally, it's important to know how underactive it is.

make sure your doc checks your antibodies as well as the usual tests. a lot of docs don't and they miss the beginnings of autoimmune thyroid disease.
    My problem is no insurance until Sept and I don't have the hundreds of dollars needed to do the test out of pocket so that is why I have to wait.
    Georgette

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    My understanding about iodine is that whether it's appropriate depends on the cause of your hypothyroidism. Some people are hypo because of iodine deficiency, however the most common cause is autoimmune (Hashimoto's Thyroiditis). In the case of Hashi's, iodine can be like throwing gas on the fire. You get a short term boost from the iodine as your thyroid kicks up production, but your immune system also kicks into overdrive destroying the thyroid gland sooner. I don't avoid naturally occurring iodine, but I don't supplement it either. I do, however, have a firm Hashimoto's diagnosis based on a TPO antibody test. I don't really know much about how Hashi's and PCOS intersect and if either of those pathways are at play here.

So far I've been doing well on primal. My myxedema is subsiding. (This was the biggest sudden change I've had.) I have a little hair regrowth. My basal body temperature is a little higher. I can regulate heat and cold better. Weight loss is slow but that's not surprising. I could be more disciplined. I was starving myself just to stop gaining before so to lose even a single pound without feeling like I could gnaw my own arm off is incredible to me. I've been doing dairy in moderation but I'm considering doing a dairy-free trial to see if that improves my progress. I don't think my husband would be too thrilled about it, though. We're a cheese-loving household and he cooks as much as I do.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Hit my blog in the sig and read the My Diet and Plan page.

That pretty much came from my thyroid/hormone doc that figured out I was hypothyroid and had adrenal fatigue both. I was doing most of it for 2 months before I started with the hormones and still improved a lot.

Also google Mary Shomon. She has a lot of great advice, and good books.

If you will need thyroid hormones, unless your case is "textbook simple," I would absolutely refuse synthetic T4 (aka Synthroid). I don't care if someone wants to claim "It works for me, blah blah." Its garbage, unless your system is just a little bit off and needs a little help.

Thyroid docs can be more stubborn and more useless than CW dietitians, seriously. Find one that at least has natural T3/T4 or pure T3 as options. If they make excuses for not using those, politely get up and walk out of the office and don't go back.

Also ( I learned this the hard way) thyroid and adrenal problems can both exist and complicate each other. Google adrenal fatigue and see what you think.

You have to be your own dr.

Good luck Dr geostump!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast