Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: There MUST be a Six Pack Under There Somewhere: primaLeaf's Journal page 7

primaLeaf is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Mentally meddling with my diet again.
    SO
    I'm thinking back to when I was reading the definitive guides. I'm ad libbing here, but one of the things that Mark said was that once carbs and protein were dialed in, fat could be used to fulfill remaining caloric needs.
    Today's carbs: 80g. Great, 60-90 is where I want to be.
    Today's protein: 125g. Vunderbar. I'm aiming for one gram of protein per lb of lean body mass.

The ONLY pesky little problem is that I'm eating too many calories. I seem to be able to maintain 153 at anywhere between 2100 and 2500. I can also tell that I've gained some muscle, so maybe I am breaking even by burning fat and building muscle simultaneously, BUT as 30 days are up tomorrow and I'd like to see considerably more progress in the next 30, something's got to give.

I know, I know, fat doesn't make you fat, sugar makes you fat.
    Except, eating enough fat also prevents you from burning the fat that's been glued to your ass for the last 10 years, which is what seems to be happening with me.

THE PLAN, is to dial back the fat calories a little bit here and there and see if I can manage to not kill anyone out of hunger. First thing I'm going to try to reign in is going to be the EVOO, as I tend to have a heavy hand with it in both cooking and salad dressings. Today I ate 358 calories worth of the stuff. I may rely more heavily on butter, as I seem to be able to use more reasonable portions of it.

The heavy cream in my coffee is something I look forward to every morning, so I'm not quite at the point of switching to half and half or almond milk, but I may try a mixture, or at the very least, pour a little less. I can barely even taste the coffee these days, and I usually make it quite strong.

Overall revised plan:

-Carbs in 50-100 range

-Protein ~ 125

Sum of those is about 820 cals, so I'll aim for about 130g of fat. If all I did was remove the olive oil from today's fitday, that would put me right into the range I'm looking for, so these should really be relatively minor adjustments which I hope will pay big dividends.

I promise promise promise when I get to something that seems like a good fit I will leave it alone for more than a day and give the plan some time to work. Maybe.

Managed to scrape about 200 cals off of breakfast this morning just by reducing the butter and heavy cream. Coffee actually tasted like coffee, which reminded me why I love my french press!
    Interestingly, I am feeling less hungry at this point in the morning than I have for the past week. Less insulinogenic dairy effects perhaps?
    RED ARMY caught me by surprise this morning. This is my second cycle on PB and it's going even better than the first. Normally I wake up with crampsofdeath at 5 am and proceed to take anywhere from 6-8 advil. Not a pill today. I only notice a slight twinge if I pay close attention, and no visible bloat to speak of. If anything, my stomach is looking flatter than usual.

Whey and almond milk and salad for lunch.
    Hunger is so TAME today its unbelievable.
    Had breakfast around 830, went to work, gym at 115 (bike sprints, 1:30/:30 x 5) and then lunch at 230. Totally satisfied after lunch, not feeling chompy at all. Cramps have stayed at bay, except immediately after sprints, but that subsided after about 20 min.

I daresay Day 30 has been my best primal day yet!

Digby is offline Senior Member
    It is very easy to take in too many primal calories if you want to take off a few pounds. Paleobird did a great thread on this. Glad day 30 was good.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

@Digby - Precisely. I think the adjustments I've made today are going to take care of that, but I'll definitely be looking into Paloebird's thread.

[Edit] P.S. Love your Emerson quote.
    Last edited by primaLeaf; 06-02-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: It was necessary to acknowledge awesomeness.

Twinwolf is offline Senior Member
    I currently weigh 246.4 pounds. I consume 1700-2000 cals a day on this and often have a hard time getting there.. I've been strength training Mondays and Wednesdays, playing some basketball once or twice a week and/or walking. I've fasted for up to 24 hours twice in the last 28 days and often IF throughout the week. Sometimes I find myself eating, because I forget that I shouldn't eat if I'm not hungry, but was doing so because it was "mealtime". I've not had the issue really at any point of being overly hungry. Do you get hungry all the time? Do you have certain times that you get hungry? Or is it not hunger, but just watching a little more how much fat is in the day because that adds up the calories more quickly?
    "If a man has common sense, he has all the sense there is."

My Journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30234.html

Starting weight prePB - 258 lbs on 5/6/11

244.2 lbs on 6/3/11 (28 days in!)

240 lbs on 7/1/11 (59 days in!)

234.2 on 7/15/11 (73 days in!)

228.2 on 8/12/11 (101 days in!)

224 on 8/28/11 (117 days in!)

220.6 on 9/14/11 (134 days in!)

Goal weight PB - 205 lbs

@Twinwolf - I think part of the problem I've been having is that sometimes I can't tell if I'm hungry or if I just think I should be hungry. Overall, PB has calmed hunger significantly as compared to CW, but there are still some lingering hunger monsters every now and then. My purpose in cutting the fat a little though, was to reduce the number of calories just because carbs and protein are in a good range and I'm sure I have been eating at maintenance. Today was better however. I only hit 1573 calories, and the only time I was really hungry was in the afternoon before I did sprints. Idk what that indicates exactly, but I'll take it!

FITDAY
    Calories: 1573 - I was expecting to be around 1900. Smaller portion of meat, and trout at that, I guess were responsible.
    Fat: 56% @ 100.6g
    Carb: 15% @ 60.4g
    Protein: 29% @ 114.7g.

So day one of the revised eating plan is a success! Actually all of my numbers were slightly lower than I had planned for, but I guess I experienced less hunger with less calories... weird. Not necessarily looking to stay this low, more substantial sources of protein (steak) would probably put me closer to 1800 or 1900, just trying to pay attention to THE HUNGER. It's harder than it sounds.
    Last edited by primaLeaf; 06-02-2011 at 08:22 PM.

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    Ahh that's awesome about the effects it's had on your cycle. I'm hoping mine gets better on PB, too. I already have less pelvic pain between cycles, woot!

@HeatherJ - yeah absolutely, it's a fantastic benefit. aaaand i save money on bottles and bottles of excedrin!

@digby - still searching for Paleobird's thread. think you could direct me?
    [Edit]- nvm, found it! Paleobird seems to have reached the same conclusions I have, just you know, a few lightyears ahead of me

At work with Gf today volunteering, aka, doing slave labor. Breakfast was standard eggs at home, did a decent job at lunch. Carne asada from the taqueria with some sour cream and salsa. I DID eat the refried beans and a few sips of horchata, but my excuse is that I was almost crying after eating two jalapenos that hurt so good.
    Gf's kids are putting on a play and having an end of the year celebration tonight, which I know includes a huge sheet cake that has been sitting in our fridge for two days. I mean it's cake, but I'm trying to tell myself that it's just a boring Safeway cardboard cake and totes not worth it. I considered just having some, and I'm still tempted, but I'm thinking about the beans and horchata, and mostly thinking about the lower box seats I have to the Giants game this weekend. If it doesn't rain out, it's going to be freezing, and it isn't really baseball without a beer or five. ALSO, I had my first really successful day yesterday numbers-wise, so I don't know if I want to end my streak so quickly.
    So I think I have mentally defeated the cake, but who KNOWS what other delicious Mexican desserts might show up! If anyone brings flan, I'm a goner.
    Last edited by primaLeaf; 06-03-2011 at 01:43 PM.

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, totally pass on the cake, so not worth it. But tasteh Mexican desserts? Yes, yes please
    (and i have a friend who would be so jealous of your Giants game)

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast