Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: There MUST be a Six Pack Under There Somewhere: primaLeaf's Journal page 4

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by primaLeaf View Post
    Turns out I forgot to defrost the venison, BUT I had a ribeye in the fridge. In the absence of steak sauce I went the sunny side route and it was magic! Thanks for the tip, geostump!
    Anytime. The burger with the egg is the one thing that my husband will eat sans bun.
    Georgette

bangarang1971 is offline Junior Member
    Hello all, I am a 38 year old male, I have been sort of stalking the journal forums for a little over a week now. They say its only stalking if you know I here lol. After stumbling on to MDA I started making changes towards eating more primal. I can really relate to the watching of the clock, waiting for my next 3hr meal time to arrive. It seemed like I was always watching, waiting to eat. Afraid it wasn't time yet, or worse, it was too late. Now I don't watch the clock at all, I eat when I am hungry and I don't when I am not. I choose to reply in this thread because I love reading the posts by primaLeaf, I find them very well written and extremely funny. Keep up the great work everyone :-)

primaLeaf is offline Senior Member
    You guys, have you tried Silk Coconut Milk!?
    I know, I know, coconut beverage, and not strictly primal. Has xanthan gum, which is made from evil corn. 6g of sugar. But look, I tried So Delicious unsweetened original last week and it was... not so delicious. Silk is just so creamy and actually tastes like coconut. It's like a brief island vacation. So to the naysayers: LALALALALALACANTHEARYOU! If I get hungry before dinner I might just test it out as a protein mixer. It's at least an improvement over my former CW water and flax seed oil, right?

B: coffee & heavy cream, 4 sausage links and 3 eggs scrambled w/red onions, cooked in a little bit of butter. + tapatio. + silk coconut island-in-a-carton.

The weather sucks, but if it stops raining by 5, I'll take a walk by the reservoir. Otherwise it's Treadmill City. I do get a kick out of the old folks' and joggers' sideways looks at the girl who is ONLY WALKING and wearing those weird, unsupportive toe shoes. Plus, the treadmill helps me focus on my walking form.

Speaking of the gym: Who watched the finale of the Biggest Loser last night? I've got to admit, some of those oatmeal-loving, Subway hawkers looked pretty good. Particularly the two sister-finalists, Olivia and Hannah. Hannah said something though, that made me sad. She was telling a story about getting asked out at the gym and she said, "How many of you live at the gym now? Because I do."
    CW FLASHBACK!
    The daily gym habit is such a source of CW pride. Even if you have hardly any visible progress, just saying, "Yes, I go to the gym EVERY DAY" elicits awe and guilt from a captive audience. Now look, I don't mean that going to the gym every day is bad. It's a fantastic way to stay active when it's too cold or too hot outside. Boring, IMHO, but effective. The problem is what we do when we "Go to the gym every day." I mean, I've seen people managing to do chronic cardio on the thigh abductor by just plugging into the 10-pound plate and going to town with a thousand of the fastest, lowest range of motion reps possible.
    But, to be honest, I'm not far enough removed from chronic cardio to feel like I can have a bash-fest and maintain my integrity. And that wasn't my point a paragraph ago, but as usual, I booked a one-way ticket onto the nearest tangent line.
    My POINT, was that Hannah's comment really brought into focus one of the aspects of the PB that resonated with me when I found the site. Life isn't about hours logged at the gym. AND you don't have to log hours at the gym to have a healthy, fit life. I get that she was in a competition, and really, if you told me you'd give me a quarter of a million if I dropped to 90lbs. I'd start sleeping in the ball pit at the children's area of 24-hour fitness. I just thought it unfortunate that the message had to be, "If you want this rockin' body, get ready to give up hours of your life to something that you detest now and will probably only tolerate later," or "Oh, you don't have hours to spend at the gym? Sucks for you, fatty! Good luck with the CVD!"
    Last edited by primaLeaf; 05-25-2011 at 01:12 PM.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Keep writing! You're a joy to read. Your writing style reminds me of mine, without the expletives and technical side jaunts. (I'm an engineer. Technical is my lifeblood.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I have never seen The Biggest Loser, but I want to know how quickly the winner will gain the weight back plus? Something like that just doesn't teach healthy habits and dammit, that just pisses me the fuck off. I have a 12 yr old daughter who is overweight and last night we discussed her going primal with me to drop some of the fat and get in better shape for cheerleading next year. She really wants to try out for cheerleading and I'm going to let her do it. She's not big into grains and really wants to give up her beloved dairy as she thinks it makes her sick. I think my daughter has a better chance of keeping the fat off than the contestants on The Biggest Loser.
    Georgette

[QUOTE=primaLeaf;460321]snip: condiments?QUOTE]

salsa, peppers, pico de gallo, guacamole, pepper, crushed red pepper, wasabi, uhhhh (trying to think of a condiment I use that doesn't add heat), butter, Thai fish sauce, brown butter, bacon grease, bacon, lime/ lemon juice, and reduced pan juices.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    Yumm, I can live on eggs over a burger! My favorite dinner. Well, actually I will eat this anytime.

Regarding the gym rats: I used to be one. I've been low carb and grain free for more years than I can count but PB led me to dropping cardio.

It was one of the hardest things I have ever let go of and I had this huge fear I would look like the goodyear blimp a month later. Fact is that it was the best thing I have ever done. I look way better now than I did when killing myself with cardio and weights at the gym for hours on end. Now I just look like I do that but I only work out for 20-30 minutes about 5 times a week. Liberating I tell ya.

Who knew.

primaLeaf is offline Senior Member
    @naiadknight - excellent list, will have to post on the fridge
    @naiadkinght & bangarang1971 - glad you guys enjoy reading it, i enjoy writing it! much more than i enjoy doing the things i actually get paid for, unfortunately
    @geostump - a number of the bl contestants manage to keep the weight off, but many, including many of the champions have gained quite a bit back. its easy enough to find through google. in addition to the fact that their weight loss is sponsored by things like extra mint chocolate chip ice cream flavored gum a la SAD, they have them doing like six hours a day of cardio while on the ranch, so it's not terribly surprising that when their lives no longer facilitate that kind of commitment, they cant maintain what they've lost. alas, it is, after all, a for-profit tv program
    @moo - your post brings me to the subject of this afternoon addition, which is:

TRYING TO BREAK THE PSYCHOLOGICAL PATTERNS OF CW

There are a couple of incidents I have in mind.

Yesterday, I said that for the next 10 days, I'm going no alcohol, no dark chocolate. Last night, I realized that abstaining from those two specifically was not a terrible chore. The real issue is that I have a POST-DINNER FIXATION. (Yes, I invented a disorder with no scientific ground. I'm worse than Freud)
    I NEED to eat something after dinner. Maybe not eat, but in that case, some sort of interesting beverage to drink. I'm with Mark 100%. The concept of a meal to be eaten after you've just eaten is, in theory, preposterous.
    I can't say why, but I always feel a great sense of disappointment when dinner is done. In CW, I think I would contribute it to blood sugar fluctuation making me moody, but the craving persists. What is it? A phantom sugar crash? More likely conditioning. It's a bummer when you realize that your eating patterns are so Pavlovian.
    For now, I'm attempting to fill the dessert void with a cup of caffeine-free tea, which seems to be working well, but I'd like to think that one day I'll be able to start the dishwasher immediately after all of the dinner dishes are in.

I have a harder time pinpointing the next issue. I think I'll generally describe it as TRUSTING THE HUNGER.
    Again, with this one, I'm 100% on board with the theory that you should eat when you're hungry and not eat when you aren't.
    The problem is the CW baggage. Losing weight on CW taught me that if I wasn't hungry, I wasn't losing weight. Now, as a result, I seem to retain an aversion to being full.
    I had my eggs and sausage around 10 this am. Around 2, I was definitely starting to feel hungry, but I impulsively tried to talk myself out of being hungry. This makes sense when you eat small meals frequently. You can't go overboard at any particular meal because it will destroy the entire day. My PB brain managed to beat back the impulse and transport me home at 3 to grab something.

L: 1 spoonful raw almond butter. handful of brussel sprouts, fried in butter and mixed in copious amounts of mayo. coconut milk with scoop of whey.

I almost saved the CM w/protein for later. I felt okay after the brussel sprouts, and I didn't want to get TOO FULL.
    BUT, guess what? I drank it and I feel fine. Not too full, not focusing on the next time I get to eat. I actually ate ENOUGH. I feel comfortable.
    I just can't yet seem to shake the psychology that, "If I eat too much at this one sitting, then I will still be hungry in three hours, regardless, and then I will go over my caloric limit for the day."

I don't yet trust that eating more at one particular time results in satiety for a longer period.

I feel like I've just written an awful lot about attitudes toward food for a girl who considers herself among the least fucked up of the girls she knows in terms of relationship with eating. Ah well, we all realize we're nuts sooner or later. And I'll take solace in the fact that I've embraced other aspects of PB very quickly. Did you notice that the brussel sprouts were covered in butter AND mayonaise?? I may have to start sleeping with Griff's cholesterol primer under my pillow for insurance, though.
    Last edited by primaLeaf; 05-30-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Twinwolf is offline Senior Member
    @primaLeaf - have you done any IF? I did my first one a week ago for 24 hours with no shaking, no real hunger, not much of anything really. Only thing I had was water. Plenty of it since it was my first fast. About 3-4 hours after waking up I had a headache for a bit, but it went away. Since doing this first fast I now have the ability to fast more often and not eat CW meals. I have some days where I eat 4 times (days when I work out up to 2 meal and 2 snacks) and days where I eat 2 meals with 1 or no snack (light or no duty days). Anyway, what it did for me is it seemed to get rid of that desire to snack, graze, or have a dessert after my dinner meal. I know sometimes have to remind myself to eat, but no longer do I get those "I'm gonna go bat-shit crazy and tear someone's head off if I don't eat now" moments. A lot of that is due to being a fat burning machine now instead of a glycogen burning body, but it was also a mentality that had been the norm for 34 years.... As a child it was probably catered to after breastfeeding had ended. "He's pitching a fit, must be tired or hungry!". Probably wouldn't have pitched the fit if I wasn't getting so much processed/grain laden foods as a child. More fat, more protein, as close to natural as possible may have prevented that mentality I just described.

I guess where I'm going with that is this, " the dessert or meal after a meal, comes most likely from that mentality that was fostered years ago right from childhood. Some got it as a reward for clearing their plates, some just got it regardless.. It's a hard mentality to break, but it can be done. Not sure if any of this helps, but I hope even if it doesn't that you know I enjoy reading your writing and hope to continue!

Matt
    Last edited by Twinwolf; 05-26-2011 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Typo
    "If a man has common sense, he has all the sense there is."

My Journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30234.html

Starting weight prePB - 258 lbs on 5/6/11

244.2 lbs on 6/3/11 (28 days in!)

240 lbs on 7/1/11 (59 days in!)

234.2 on 7/15/11 (73 days in!)

228.2 on 8/12/11 (101 days in!)

224 on 8/28/11 (117 days in!)

220.6 on 9/14/11 (134 days in!)

Goal weight PB - 205 lbs

AS to the dessert thing, I've noticed that if part of my meal had even a sweetish flavor to it, the "MUSTHAVEDESSERT" center of my brain leaves me alone. I get this urge of "eat something else," but it's nothing all consuming. I got into the habit in college of every meal having something sweet with or after every meal and snack (I was a Dr. Pepper fiend.) I managed to shake it with all the other meals, but the one for dinner is hanging on for dear life. After a while, I got to the point where fruit, chocolate, a sweet flavored tea (chocolate chai, coconut rum, lady grey) or ignoring it would make it shut up.
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast