Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: There MUST be a Six Pack Under There Somewhere: primaLeaf's Journal page 15

primaLeaf is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Day 3 of this LCHF experiment. So far, seems pretty great. Starting each day with bulletproof coffee. Appetite during the day is extremely manageable. Food ideation, for lack of a better term, is extremely minimal, which is great because I'm looking for a nutritional strategy that is flexible and allows my brain to focus on non-food things. TOM today but scale this morning was down a bit to 155.6. If I'm being honest, quite a while since I saw a 155 number. Tonight gonna try supplementing magnesium citrate for insomnia and regularity. Grok on, primal ones.

Well, this morning I was punished for my hubris in thinking that a leaky blender would go on until I decided I was ready to buy a new one. -> Bulletproof coffee in my cabinets because it seeped under the range. Excellent.
    So I'm skipping class in protest, going to buy an immersion blender, mailing in my DNA for 23andme, and then studying at home on what is shaping up to be a pretty gorgeous day, weather-wise.
    Magnesium experiment looks promising, but I think I'll wait for a week's worth of results before I declare it a success. The 155.6 from yesterday didn't stick, but there are so many confounding factors this morning that I ain't trippin.

Update to add a piece of unsolicited advice: I would STRONGLY recommend that anyone starting a magnesium supplement regimen begin with a half dose. It is now clear to me why magnesium citrate is used prior to colonoscopies. Happy Thursday!
    Last edited by primaLeaf; 02-28-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Hmm, was feeling pretty sluggish today. Went for a walk, energy improved, and I just pulled a 154.6? [For the record, I got a 157.2 shortly after the magnesium incident, so that wasn't the direct cause]. Wild. I don't put a lot of stock in scale numbers (read: I'm pretty good at taking them for what they're worth), but I do really like data points. 'Twill be interesting to see if the downward trend continues.

153.6 for the second morning in a row. How many days does that have to hold before I update my sigline?

An interesting (to me) fact is that when I first went primal, lo these many (2) years ago, IIRC, a very similar thing happened - I started at 157 and then very quickly dropped into the 153 range. It would seem I have 3.5 noncompliance pounds. I wonder where they hang out? In any event, I'm very curious to see how things progress. Last time, 153 stuck for a loooong time until I started IF, BUT I was also eating more carbs and more calories back then, so here's hoping.

Yesterday was the first day where I was tempted to stray from LCHF. I had a midterm that I prepped for all morning and by the time I got to school I was starving. Not to be deterred, however, I barbarically sliced open and devoured an avocado with a spoon. The long day continued with a group project and a group meeting where I was the only one to decline a homemade cupcake. The thing is, I really wasn't tempted to eat if for the sake of its guaranteed deliciousness (weird!). I was way more concerned about being rude. When I was reoffered the remaining cupcake after the meeting I artfully dodged it with "I totally would, but I don't do gluten." Score. People just assume celiac/intolerance when you say that AND, unlike "I don't do grains," it doesn't provoke incredulity.

Happy March ya'll. Keep on keepin' on!

Spent somewhere in the neighborhood of five hours mattress shopping yesterday. So incredibly stoked to be upgrading from a lopsided, queen Ikea mattress to an eastern king Tempurpedic. Don't even care that we have to finance it until I start working this summer. The whole endeavor was exhausting, but I think that had more to do with laying on so many beds.

Not so great was the feeling I got after devouring a half plate of sweet potato fries at post-shopping dinner. By the time I got to my delicious, rare, bunless burger I knew I was pretty full, but you know, I ate it anyway. Good news is that everything was primal approved, so no SAD side effects; I was just SSOOOO full. Totally recovered today, thought out of ketosis so it's gonna be no carbs for me.

Last thing is that I'm working out some lingering skin issues. I know that greek yogurt is a no-go; the reaction I had to it was immediate and severe, both in the phlegm and acne departments. Logic would seem to indicate then that the remaining dairy in my diet (butter and occasional cheese) is the likely culprit. A confounding factor, however, is that when I vacationed in Mexico my skin was perfectly clear and I was eating plenty of cheese, butter, and sour cream (though I realize that dairy sourcing is likely quite different there). For that reason, I'm also looking at almond butter as a possible cause. My plan then, is to eliminate all dairy except the kerrygold for my bulletproof coffee, plus the almond butter, and see if that does the trick. The butter is the suspicious food I'm most attached to, so with any luck, that won't be it.

Feeling analytical. I think, despite my aversion to calorie/macro tracking, I may endeavor to do it for a while because I'd like to have the information. Hopefully I can really frame it as "information gathering" so as to avoid being driven absolutely nuts. In the spirit of treading lightly, here's some info from today:

Total cals: 1675
    bulletproof coffee
    leftover grass fed burger patty with homemade mayo (calling it mayo is being generous) and an egg over easy
    handful of macadamias
    pacific flounder stuffed with krab & some kind of cheese (whoops)
    TJs fire roasted vegetables in balsamic butter
    tbsp of almond butter
    2 squares 85% dark chocolate
    coconut milk

There was a big ol' 12 hour gap between the ground beef and the macadamias, and methinks my stomach is unimpressed. Don't generally have any problem with any of the foods listed (though some contain trace amounts of not great stuff that I allow for convenience sake). It wasn't so much that I wanted to IF as I just didn't feel like lugging around the tupperware. In any event, tomorrow I'm going to go for a much more even distribution and mayyyyyybe (probably not) track the macros.

ALSO, engaged in a 40 min convo with a prof about paleo today that SHE initiated. It's spreadingggg.

Had some extra time today so I opted for walking instead of pub transpo and got ~2mi. of MFaaSP in. Picked up and started a B-complex. The magnesium has been so great (more for regularity than sleep, but to some degree there as well) that I'm feeling a little less skeptical about supplements in general. The nice thing about the B is that it's water soluble, so very little risk of ill side effects from a high dose because the extra is just excreted. Decided to give it a shot to see if it does anything for the low grade lethargy/headache (i have a hard time distinguishing) I've been feeling for the past couple of days. That might also be a sodium issue, so stay tuned. As far as today goes, no nausea despite not taking the B with food, and feeling pretty alert, but that could also be the walk.

New thing: The last two days in a row I've woken up at 5:30am and 5:00am respectively, even though my normal wake up time is 7 and I definitely wasn't getting to sleep any earlier than 10:30pm. Today I went back to sleep at around 6 am. The early waking is pretty unusual for me and I can't decide how I feel about it yet.

cals: 1760

tomorrow commences a 4-day vacation wherein i will be staying with CW friends. i have no hope of staying completely compliant, but i promise (you, me, The Internet) not to go buck wild. hasta la vista.
    Last edited by primaLeaf; 03-06-2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: update cals

back from vacation and back at it. suffering from some very much deserved carb flu today. if ya'll thought i was going anywhere near the scale, you were probably experiencing bacon induced hallucinations.

san diego was absolutely beautiful. no wonder my friends have never left.

reality check time!
    with the exception of this past weekend, my diet has been pretty decent as of late. consistent exercise, however, has been abysmal. methinks what i could use right now is a PB fitness whole 30. you heard it here first.
    planning on doing at least some MFaaSP every day and LHT(bodyweight) on T and F. sprints TBD.
    10-day forecast says we've got 6 days of gorgeous weather coming up followed by at least 4 days of shit weather. since i let my gym membership lapse i suppose that means i will be walking in the rain. i mean, i used to love that, but also, i used to be 9 years old.

calories on the day: 600

so idk about the science behind this, but i've heard that women forget prior painful experiences so that they will continue to subject themselves to childbirth. something similar seems to have happened to me regarding the bike trail i decided to take this afternoon. it was lovely until mile 4, at which point 2 miles worth of uphill death commenced. i have dubbed the bike ride the "tour de barf" - though for the record, i managed to keep the contents of my stomach in my stomach.
    anywho, not sure i can really call it MFaaSP - at least not those two miles, but it was a nice opportunity to get some sun and remember how out of shape i am
    also, ate a pile of leftovers that i did not cook and don't feel like estimating the calories so i will resume counting tomorrow.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast