Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: There MUST be a Six Pack Under There Somewhere: primaLeaf's Journal page 14

primaLeaf is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It's 1:23am. Clearly I should be sleeping or else studying some impenetrable legal doctrine. But no. I'm posting on MDA. You might be wondering, "What could be be the impetus behind such an irresponsible action?"
    Wonder no longer, friends.
    Today, September 19, 2011, I made paleo mayonnaise that actually emulsified. That's right. It actually looks like mayonnaise.

I would like to thank google, for providing the recipe, and 1.5 glasses of Pinot Noir, for giving me the patience to drip the oil ever so slowly.
    Goodnight.

sarah1990 is offline Senior Member
    Please do feel free to share this recipe!

@sarah: it was a totally generic paleo mayo recipe - 2 eggs (didn't bother splitting yolks from whites), 1/2 cup EVOO, 1/2 cup coconut oil, mustard powder, lemon juice, splash of vinegar. I think the only thing that made a difference this time was that i literally put the oil in DROP BY DROP. They aren't exaggerating when they say that you have to do that, apparently.

S0o0o0o0 another week of law school complete. Only 21 to go! (Not that I'm counting)

As always, I've been tweaking things here and there. I reintroduced breakfast. Fasting until lunch was effective for a while, and maybe still would be, but I think it's the culprit behind some cyclical bloating that I don't particularly enjoy. Did a protein shake yesterday morning and eggs today - much better. I also ate dinner a lot earlier than I usually do yesterday. I had some snacky feelings after that, but I was so tired that I fell asleep instead of eating. That's another thing, I skipped the coffee yesterday and today. I think I want to make that a permanent change. Or at least switch to decaf, which has far less caffeine. I do seem to sleep much better without it.

This coming week I'm going to be looking for leaner meats at the grocery store. A resurgent theme around here has been the idea that if you want your body to burn it's fat stores, you can't keep supplying an endless stream of dietary fat. Fasting has helped me with that, but I'd like to take it up a notch. Plus I'm poor and don't always have access to grass-fed. There's only so much my little fish oil pills can do!

Got lots of walking done this week - courtesy of that bolt that decided to fall out of my car while I was driving. The exercise is nice, but I'll be grateful to be driving again next week. 40 min walking each way, plus 10 on the train each way, plus 30 on the subway each way is a lot of valuable, albeit extremely boring, reading time. I'll maybe focus more on LHT next week since I'll have more time for it.

So another mundane post. My apologies. Keep your fingers crossed that I keep making progress, maybe I'll post some sassy underwear photos to spice it up or something.

So this is weird. It's 6am and I am just... awake.
    I guess this is normal for some people, but the last time I woke up at 530 and couldn't go back to sleep I was 7 and I thought we were going to Disneyland. (I was off by a week, my time management skills have not improved.)
    Also, it's actually the second time I awoke during the night. The first was at 230 and I had a hard time going back to sleep then as well.

Possible explanations:

1. I am getting old. - Ok, sorry to the all of the lovely MDA readers of a certain age. This one isn't realistic but I know with age it sometimes becomes harder to sleep through the night.

2. I'm pregnant by immaculate conception. - GF would be sooo excited, and I would love the irony, but no.

3. Since I stopped drinking caffeine a whole three days ago, my body is getting better quality sleep and therefore needs less of it. - Well this isn't the first time I've quit caffeine, so I'm thinking no.

4. I ate dinner too late last night. - I WAS pretty busy batch cooking and didn't eat until around 9, but that has never stopped me from sleeping before.

5. Those heart palpitations I was feeling when I went to bed mean that I'm going to DIE before I finish writing this post and it would just be so lame to sleep through my own death.

6. Law school has permanently damaged my brain. Probably true. My dad has the most erratic sleeping pattern I've ever seen and he went to law school sooo...

7. It could be the wine. I read somewhere that while alcohol helps you fall asleep it can create problems in terms of trying to stay asleep. That doesn't account for the fact that I have had that glass of wine pretty much every night (slinks off to AA meeting) and this hasn't happened.

8. My recent dietary tweaks have turned my body into a FAT BURNING MACHINE such that revelation of my six pack is imminent and my body wanted me to be awake for the glorious reveal. - I'll let you know later today if it's this one.

That one time I ate a half rack of ribs and then also had to demolish my girlfriend's leftovers because she doesn't eat ribs properly.

Daaag yo. I was up until 3am this morning. It's official, I'm sensitive to caffeine. I mean, I guess it could have been the ribs, but I'm far more suspicious of the fact that yesterday was the first day in a week that I had non-decaf coffee. Lesson learned.
    Decaf is going to stay in the picture though. I drink it black, so minimal nutritional impact, and I just really enjoy the ritual. Right now the decaf, iced americano sitting on my desk is the only thing preventing me from falling face first into my property book and taking a nap.

Since I had so much insomnia-induced free time last night, I was rifling through Paleobird's calorie-counting threads again. (Insert plug for both threads to anyone who is struggling/hasn't read them) I realized that I haven't been particularly mindful of meeting my protein requirements lately, and I def have not been keeping track of calories. I've managed to have some success with just "eating less," but last night I decided it's time to get back to being more science-y about it. (I'm a law student, we think "science-y" is a word.) I commandeered a little kitchen scale from one of my dad's cupboards and I'm going to inaugurate it by weighing the ground bison for burgers tonight. Also, I made a Sparkpeople account because fitday is NOT the business.

Things to recap from the past week/ lessons learned (and it seems like I'm always learning new ones):

1. Breakfast:
    Skipping breakfast spurred some weight loss, but it's not worth the consequential bloating. I've gone back to protein in the morning, either eggs or a shake if I'm running late (I usually am).

2. Coffee:
    DECAF FOR THE LOVE OF JEEEZUS! I can't do another 3am deal. Though, when finals roll around in December, I may change my tune a bit.

3. Get ta countin'!
    I actually really like the control factor that comes with counting nutritional quantities. [Cue WebMd diagnosis of OCD, anorexia, general dysfunctional human syndrome]. To be totally fair to CW, which I know I'm not required to do here, but I'm doing it anyway, those first thirteen pounds came off because I was counting what went into my body. Don't get me wrong, on CW I was miserable and a twat and will never go back there, but I'm resurrecting counting as an innocent tool which was an element of past success. Yes, I read Taubes. No lecture necessary.

...and about those abs...
    My girlfriend has a background picture of us in NYC last summer, which, although it was shot from the least flattering angle possible, undeniably shows the gut I was working with back then. It's pretty unappealing. Anyway, she brought my attention to it last night by affectionately referring to me as "chubsters." (pro tip: no matter how affectionate you intend it to be, nothing good will come of calling your girlfriend "chubsters") I have to admit, however, that I appreciated the picture for the fact that it really shows what a difference I've made during 2011. When I'm feeling less lazy, I'll post the pic here. Also, I may post a current one to juxtapose the two little abs I can see coming through under my ribcage with the "chubsters" pic.

Finally, I think I'm ready to declare a goal, HSIS weight. I've resisted, always preferring the idea of a "goal aesthetic," but now that I'm getting closer I'm willing to say that I think I'll look the way I want at about 135. Hopefully with all the science-y numbers and stuff I can get there by the end of the year.

Really last thing: my local REI is having a used gear sale on Sunday - newb-abandoned VFFs, here I come! So essssited!

Picked up a pair of trek sports, only worn a few times, for 40 bucks! Now that my used-gear-sale cherry has been popped I've learned that next time I need to get there earlier. There was a guy ahead of me who I assume was a Crossfit trainer - said he was picking up fives for his clients. Anyway he cleaned up most of the good pairs. Got home and went for a nice little walk on a particularly rocky trail near my house to inaugurate the treks. They are pretty heavy duty. I'm sporting a nice blister on the inner part of the sole of my foot from fabric rubbing, but I'm not too worried since either I'll develop a nice callus or the shoes will get broken in.
    Rain is coming tomorrow so I got some sun in while I could. I suppose I'll have to start taking advantage of my neglected gym membership again this week. Kind of looking forward to the routine again, actually.
    Also, gotta look in to a vitamin D supplement, especially with the no-dairy thing goin on.

Hai ya'll.

I'm baaaaaaack. I'm a bit ambivalent about reviving this thread. When I was an adolescent and I used to write journals I would inevitably shred them or burn them in the backyard within six months of writing because I would always find upon review that journal-me was intolerable and feel compelled to erase the evidence.
    Unfortunately, I can't delete threads. MDA: keeping me honest since 2011.

So, I suppose an update is in order.

I still haven't found it, the six pack I mean. I'm still preeeeetttty sure it's under there, but two semesters worth of 60/40 plus an all inclusive vacation that was 50/50 at best have put me no closer to finding it. A year ago I hit a low weight of 148ish, but then I made the unreasonable and probably inaccurate determination that I needed to study to the exclusion of everything else. Unsurprisingly, some weight crept back on and, while my grades stayed good, I've yet to match my performance during first semester. You know, the one where I still thought maybe it was a good idea not to collapse into a sedentary pile of student-zombie.

So now I'm ranging between 154 and 157. It ain't great, but it ain't awful either. When I returned from the aforementioned all-inclusive vacation in early January, I figured it was time to stop bullshitting myself and up my compliance. There was a sort of ramping up period, but I've been pretty good the last couple of weeks. Over the last two days I adjusted the veg:meat ratio to try and get some more fat in. Cravings are down and my digestive system seems to be a lot happier.

Goals: Ultimately, I'd like to be a shape that I find more aesthetically appealing before I start my summer job so that I can feel good about investing in some higher-quality business casual attire. Also, since I'll be working in Los Angeles, it would be nice if I could get to a place where I'm comfortable going sleeveless.

Hope the MDA vets are all doing well. I'm sure I'll be creeping by your journal soon.

Cheers!

Getting back in the game properly has been interesting. I didn't realize how many little things I had gotten lazy about.
    First weekend went great. Upped the fat, lowered the carbs, hit ketosis, golden. School restarted, didn't cheat but having an actual schedule makes life so much more difficult, doesn't it? I really hate having to guess when I'm going to be hungry. I'm nearly always wrong.
    Weird thing: got some amaaaaaaaazing full fat greek yogurt (The Greek Gods), consumed, proceeded to break out like nobody's business. I don't have problems with butter or cheese though. Tis curious. Needless to say, I like having clear skin more than I like yogurt, so that option has been taken off the menu.
    Cool thing: looking into doing 23andme. Requires commitment of disposable income, but looks like it provides some cool info. https://www.23andme.com

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    First shot at bulletproof coffee this morning. I like my coffee BLACK (no cream, no sweetener) so my expectations were pretty low, but it's surprisingly pleasant. Went for 1 TBSP Kerrygold, 1 TBSP CO to 4 cups coffee, which i think is about all the richness I can handle.

Went ahead and ordered 23andme. Can't wait to get my results and proceed to tell everyone i meet about what a special genetic snowflake I am .

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast