Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: There MUST be a Six Pack Under There Somewhere: primaLeaf's Journal page 13

primaLeaf is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Actually, no cravings, which was a pleasant surprise. Not feeling a whole lot of hunger at all. Something is aggravating my skin though, might need to reign the dairy in again.
    Sunburn is a huge MOFO-it's started to itch but also isn't done stinging yet. Ew.

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    are you taking vitamin D3?

As a red head I have burned my entire life. I am capable of getting burned with the hair dryer, it was that bad. 10 minutes in the sun meant lobster red.

Now I supplement with vitamin D3 and am in the sun all the time, out on the boat for hours on end and have not had one sunburn this summer. Seriously amazing.

@moo - I will have to take a serious look at that. I've finally finished peeling. Gross.

So I know I haven't posted in a while. I've been drinking too much.
    JK!
    No but really.
    If you were negotiating between your father and the CHP regarding reversal of an incident report you'd be finishing your last glass of Pinot Noir at 12:30 while already in bed, too.

Anywayyyyyy, that's not the reason I haven't posted. Mostly I've been running around getting my affairs in order before law school begins (and schmoozing at the CHP office).

Eating has been decent. Almost exclusively meat and veg. 2 meals a day rather than three for the most part. Did a fast that was surprisingly easy, and lifted fasted without dying. No snacking. Occasional shortbread cookie found on the kitchen table... COFFEEEEEE (of course)

Still doing BBS every Sunday. I'm impatient, but I do seem to be making consistent strength gains and I know I have to wait for the muscles to rebuild and blah blah blah IJUSTWANTTOBEBUFFALREADY.

Anyhow, I have to finish this filing before I enter retirement from my illustrious paper jockey career. Ttys!

151.6 this morning. That's the lowest number I've seen on a scale since that one time in college when I subsisted on 1500 cals or less per day of mocha muffins and trail mix because I wanted to show my ex-bf whatanidiothewaswhenIgothomeforXmasbreak... wait, what was I talking about?
    Oh yeah, I was talking about being awesome.
    So I've been hovering around 153 +/- basically since I went primal at the beginning of May. I think my body may have finally caught on and decided to stop being sugar dependent so that I can manage a 24-hour fast, which I couldn't before. For the last two weeks I've skipped bfast Monday thru Sat - effectively creating an 11- 8ish window for two meals (although I don't obsess about what time I eat), and skipping bfast and lunch on Sundays, BBS day.
    My life has been incredibly hectic so I missed the gym yesterday. Hopefully the number drop isn't just my body going "OM NOM NOM EAT MUSCLES FOR PROTEIN." I suppose I'll see based on strength when I get to the gym next.

Anywhooooo, I have diagrams to make. I hope I get to sleep soon.

Day 2 of orientation.
    The Tenderloin is a strange neighborhood. All of the restaurants are apparently Vietnamese sandwich shops which - I didn't even know that was a thing. I popped into one that looked promising for lunch today. The offered us "continental breakfast" at orientation which consisted of (surprise surprise) bagels and donuts. Pass.
    So anyway at this Vietnamese sandwich place I got a chicken skewer (coated in something sweet so not ideal) and pork meatballs, which were delicious and other than perhaps having been cooked in questionable oil, totally legit. And cheap.
    This whole process is so exhausting. Particularly the social aspect of it. I'm fighting every introverted impulse I have so that I can get started on the process of "networking."
    I mean, a few new people at a time I can deal with, but 400 is pushing it.

Anyway... been skipping breakfast still with no problems, just drinking coffee. Lunch is usually modest. I think I'm making progress but it's that time of the month when women fear the scale and cling to all varieties of chocolate, so I'm going to wait to objectively test that progress until Sunday maybe.

So here is a question in case anyone should read this post and have an answer:
    I've been having breakouts again lately, and I'm not sure what's triggering it. I suppose it could be the occasional grain I've allowed in? I also suspected bell peppers for a while because they were definitely causing some kind of stomach reaction, so I thought maybe skin inflammation could be related? I don't think it's the small amount of dairy, but I know that is a common trigger. So the question is essentially whether anyone who has had similar problems or just has some knowledge in the area can offer any insight. Thanks!

Think I've figured out what is aggravating my face - I've been using some Jergens for moisturizer lately. That's the only new factor I can think of. I cut it off yesterday and already sense improvement. Seems I forgot that nice skin is the result of both what you put in your body and what you put on it.

149.4 this morning. Granted, some of it is dehydration. There's a bar down the street from school where it's happy hour all day for students (no wonder lawyers all become alcoholics). But ANYWAY, I was totally not expecting the drop and sort of felt weird about seeing it. There is an unnerving element in dropping from one ten-group to the one below it. Not that I'm disappointed by it by any means. Quite the opposite, just wary. I'll be paying close attention to strength at the gym tomorrow.

Have you tried coconut oil on your skin? I am obsessed with how amazing my skin looks since I started using it instead of my ridiculously priced moisturizers.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Good Luck in law school and congrats on your Primal success.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Well, I've been neglecting my journal, obviously. A $120,000 investment will do that to you. While I undoubtedly would rather be journaling, the financial dangers of failure at law school keep my nose in the casebook. They don't keep me from awkwardly pulling up pictures of half naked people in the "Before and after pics" section during class though...
    I have to say that I am SUPER stoked for the 30 day challenge! I've informed gf she will be participating. Everything she eats at home is primal except for her cereal, which I've told her she can subsist without for 30 days (I did have to bribe her with the prospect of prizes).
    I'm thinking my goals will be do get back to some sort of fitness routine. It seems like I'm still droppin lbs (148.2 this morning) and maintaining strength okay, but it would be nice to feel the burn every once in a while. ALSO, I want to get to the bottom of what is causing my almost-weekly stomach aches. They don't last long (only until my body is done expelling everything in it, sorry sorry TMI), but they are unpleasant and I would like to figure out what's triggering them. Currently my main suspects are dairy and alcohol. I don't consume a lot of either one but maybe take it down a notch still.
    Anywho, if you're reading this, rest assured that I'm probably still stalking you silently. Cheers!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yikes, went to a chicken and waffles restaurant last night. I was so proud of GF, she got a salad and even took off most of the cheese. No dairy seems to be working well for me too. I'm thinking it may be an acne trigger, as the last breakout I had started after I indulged in a pumpkin spice latte before the 30-day challenge [as an aside, i remember those being way more delicious than mine actually was]. Anywho, I was pretty hungry at chicken and waffles and I did break form by eating breaded chicken (tried to avoid a good portion of the breading) but had greens instead of a waffle so not the biggest tragedy ever.
    I've gotten more walking done in the last week. I took advantage of my car being out of commission and walked home from the train station - 2 miles acording to google, with a good portion of that being a steep climb. Also, ive discovered that if I jog I have time to go to Starbucks in between classes, which is necessary because all of the coffee in the immediate vicinity of school is atrocious.
    I clicked on somebody's post about Larabars yesterday. They are awesome and totally primal-friendly and I love them, however after reading the comments I think I may also get stalled out by them, so today I decided to kick the habit. Sometime I will have to pick up a glucose monitor to do some empirical testing.
    As a final thought, today is the first day I'm shifting from 2 meals being lunch and dinner to going for breakfast and dinner. I'm 90% sure that going to 2 meals spurred my recent drops (147.6 the other day) and I'm really only changing things around for the convenience of not having to bring food to school (also I noticed skipping bfast sometimes creates gall bladder pain at lunch). It might mean I'll be ravenous by dinner, so if that's the case I'll switch back. Also, I think I'll have to incorporate more vegetables into b-fast to go with the eggs and bacon.

Sorry for the shitty stream-of-consciousness prose and lack of editing lately. All of my brain cells are being diverted to the brain department responsible for mastering concepts like "promissory estoppel" and "adverse possession." I'll try and at least do something readable at the end of the challenge.

Cheers!

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast