Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: There MUST be a Six Pack Under There Somewhere: primaLeaf's Journal page 12

primaLeaf is offline Senior Member
    @ LitheGrokkette - just looked up your journal and enjoyed it very much as well! I'm pleased to have another solid distraction from my more productive activities

@ sarah1990 - Well, ummm, no. Tee hee. I guess the best answer I can give is "Too many." (Not even counting last week's camp food which was an horrific aberration that I wish never to speak of again.) I say too many because I've been maintaining rather than losing. I've been considering for a long time that I should get back to counting, the problem is that I'm put off by the inherent margin of error involved in calorie counting and then the absolute pain in the ass that it is to weigh meat and then go find an accurate number to apply to that weight to determine calories. Since I have been maintaining fairly consistently, moving forward I'm just trying to "eat less." When that fails I'll drag the scale out of the cabinet and give you a number. Probably next week some time

So, GLAZING OVER THE CAMP FOOD... I have been avoiding the scale like a rabid possum because I can see and feel that I'm softer around the middle. Hoping it's mostly retained water which I can shed by the weekend.

GENERAL MUSINGS OF THE DAY
    I'm indulging this crap because I haven't posted for a few days and I figure that justifies taking up more room with this post.
    Today's thoughts are on the pretentiously vague topic of "Information."
    In the past few months, I've read PBF, I've read Taubes, I've read BBS, I've read links and articles and personal opinions of folks no more qualified to give them than I am. It's a lot of information, and worse, it's a lot of conflicting information.
    Every time I read something new and science-y it seems like I've found the holy grail. When I read Taubes, all I had to do was go VLC, but then two weeks later BBS was telling me that, wait a second, how much fuel you put in your body is still relevant, not just what kind of fuel it is.
    Before I become too whiney about how confusing it is to try and discern who is right, especially when everyone is speaking with the authority of SCIENCE, I'll get to my conclusion of the day (subject to change tomorrow) which is, IT HAS TO BE n=1.
    All I can do is try things and pay attention to what effect they have on me.
    It seems to me to be a great credit to MDA that Mark relies on general guidelines rather than hard and fast rules - It leaves room for what I suspect may be the reality which is: Maybe everyone is a little bit right.
    The best I can do is pick and choose the elements that make sense to me, test them out, modify, repeat.

Here are the elements I'm testing out post-camp:

- BBS weight lifting protocol. Yesterday was my second week and even after a grueling five days of chasing children around the woods I had made notable improvements. In the leg press and the pull down I couldn't even hit positive failure at the weight I thought I would. I think they've got the bit about a longer recovery period right and I also think that having more "metabolically expensive" muscle tissue makes sense as a fat burning hack.

-Lower calories, and the emphasis being that I can't accomplish this unless I keep carbs sufficiently low. The higher the carbs, the more out of control my hunger levels are, the moodier I am, and the more likely I become to overindulge. Plus you know, that nasty insulin-storing-body-fat problem. Taubes devotes a significant portion of "Why We Get Fat," to pointing out that the Laws of Thermodynamics have been hijacked and distorted to make people believe that as long as they only eat 1200 calories, it can be 1200 calories of peanut butter cups and they'll lose weight. I don't buy that CW crap but I also don't buy that my body is going to mobilize stored body fat if I'm providing it with an ample supply of dietary fat for fuel. Also, I hate to endorse CW, but after all counting calories is what got me down 15 lbs. Granted, some of it was probably water and muscle but I would wager that some of it was also fat.

- I'm still on the fence about steady-state, low-intensity exercise. I'm not quite prepared to lump leisurely walks with the 6 mph jog, which a) I hate doing anyway and b) BBS vilifies for being catabolic and therefore counter-productive. I can't imagine how going for a stroll in the park could be dangerous though, so for now I think I'll keep those up. They are relaxing, feel good, and maybe they'll prove beneficial in that darn controversial thermodynamic equation.

- IF makes a lot of sense to me, the problem is that I haven't found a way to implement it that doesn't lead to overcompensation at a later point. For the next few weeks I have the luxury of a fairly flexible schedule. My plan is to continue taking breakfast when hunger strikes, (usually 11-12ish) rather than as a prophylactic measure upon waking, and then eat dinner, without stressing too much about what time it's at or if I eat too close to bedtime. Keep snacking to a minimum because it requires too much planning and I can easily polish off an entire jar of macadamia nuts if I'm not careful. It's not really IF, more a narrower eating window that allows me to [almost] always eat when hungry.

-Drink more water. Not in an "eight glasses a day" CW way, but in an "I seem to be thirsty a lot and hey, isn't my body made mostly of water?" kind of way.

Well I've nearly put myself to sleep so I guess this is a good place to stop. Fingers crossed that this is the n = 1 combination that gets me moving in the right direction.

Cheers.

sarah1990 is offline Senior Member
    Ah never mind then. Seem to have stuck at 166 so just trying to get a feeling of what others of a similar height/starting weight are eating. Advice so far seems to be to up carbs but that's some serious effort on just fruit/veggies.

Yes, sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Anyhow it looks like you and I are in the same position, stable but not going down. I'd be curious to see what the explanation is for increasing carbs to lose fat?

Up at 154.4 this morning, but I'm still not that far removed from macaroni-fest, and the red army is in town, so it's actually not as bad as I feared when I stepped on the scale.

ENCOURAGING MOMENT!
    I was strolling past the pull-up bar this morning, and despite only being two days out from my BBS sesh, I decided to see how my chin-ups were coming. Normally I can start from maybe a 100 degree angle and pull myself up, today I did it from about 150! Dead hang, here I come! Also, I might be imagining it, but I think maybe my ass is a little higher up in profile? Haaay, thanks BBS!
    Last edited by primaLeaf; 07-26-2011 at 03:34 PM.

sarah1990 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primaLeaf View Post
    Yes, sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Anyhow it looks like you and I are in the same position, stable but not going down. I'd be curious to see what the explanation is for increasing carbs to lose fat?
    I think it's more to do with that I'm largely in the 50g or less per day category, when should be more 50-100g per day!

In San Diego.
    Wanted to mention that the day after the last post when I was at 154.4, I weighed in at 152.8, soo thanks water weight for leaving. No idea what I'm at now since I have no access to a scale, but feeling bloat-free.

Even though I'm traveling I've done a pretty good job of eating cleanly. I mean, I did stop at McDonald's, but I didn't feel too guilty about the angus deluxe with no bun or ketchup, sub extra meat.
    I have been eating more dairy than usual, but I seem to be tolerating it just fine.

Shout out to the best road trip snack EVER - Trader Joe's unsalted Australian macadamia nuts. I had a hunch that the reason I couldn't control myself with the Mauna Loa nuts had to do with the salt, so I picked up a big bag of these TJ unsalted macadamias before we left. It worked. They are still delicious, but I can stop after a handful or two, rather than halfway through the bag. My stomach is grateful for the restraint.

5 scrambled eggs with bell pepper and pico de gallo (plus some cheddar and sea salt) this morning. My friend is really a fabulous hostess, but I don't think she fully believed me when I told her I eat a TON of eggs these days. Even more when I don't have any bacon to accompany them - and since this is a WW household there is no bacon to be found. I was lucky to find a spray can with olive oil rather than canola. Went for that over the salted "light" butter I was offered. Grocery run is in order.

Currently, the girls are gone doing "two hours of cardio" to "sweat out everything we ate last night," meaning after leaving the night club. I didn't join them last night because a) Mini skirts and VIP sections with NBA players is not my idea of a good time and b) I was exhausted from Thursday night in LA. That night I did indulge in 3 rum and diets (for which I only paid 6 dollars, thank God for dive bars). Anyway, since I started BBS, my work out day is Sunday, which is really ironic since Sunday used to be my only day OFF from working out, so I'm here watching the weather channel while they sweat.

Before I begin to seem condescending, I should reiterate - they all look GOOD. Very fit. The glaring downside though is the time commitment. In no vision that I have for my future life is there room or motivation to do "two hours of cardio to sweat out everything I ate last night" (which I also think becomes even less possible with age.) A two-hour hike, great. Two hours in the gym everyday, no, thank you.

Anyhow, it's about time for my daily law-school-induced panic attack, so me and my self-help book are gonna troll over to Starbucks.

BTW - waist on the new jeans is loose. Thighs are still snug. Oh, impossible jeans.

Feeling really good about this trip and motivated to keep it clean - no cupcake for me at the niche shop. But I ain't gonna lie, I have a trip to Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles on Monday. Serves as a reminder to leave the gummy worms on the coffee table alone.

Hey, I like your log.

What do you mean by 100 or 150 degree angle on pullups though? I is confused. Do you mean inverted rows? (i.e. are you doing that with your feet on the ground?)

@barbarianchick-

Thanks! Good question.
    First of all, I'm talking strictly about chin-ups, and the angle at my inner elbow, between forearm and bicep (or the area of my arm where a bicep should theoretically exist)
    I start with my feet on the ground because I can't pull all of my weight up from a dead hang. I'm tall enough to reach the bar when I'm standing on the ground, with an elbow angle a little larger than 90 degrees. If I bend my knees, the elbow angle is greater, and I can put myself through a greater range of motion during the chin up, closer to a genuine dead-hang chin-up. I can only do maybe three in a row, but no, I don't put my feet back on the ground in between, I just don't go through the full range of motion for a proper chin-up.

... Maybe that makes sense...
    Last edited by primaLeaf; 07-30-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: bad news when you find your own writing incomprehensible

ok... this addition is meant to be a little condescending
    they all came back complaining of either constipation or diarrhea. lol/

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, I have a gnarly sunburn on my back and I accidentally fell on a frappuccino mouth first and drank the whole thing, but overall it was a wonderful weekend. I'm expecting serious sugar cravings for a couple of days but I will be strong! ... Maybe

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast