Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where in North America is the best vacation spot? page

norak is offline Senior Member

Where in North America is the best vacation spot?

Primal Fuel
    Inspired by the Europe thread I thought I'd ask the same about North America (yes, that includes Canada). What's worth seeing? Big cities, small cities, rural America, beaches, mountains, woods, whatever. Got any tips?

So far, potential candidates are Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, New York, Las Vegas, Alaska, Boston, Los Angeles, Detroit, Chicago, Seattle, San Fransisco and Philadelphia. Not sure if all of them are worth seeing, but maybe you know? I would also love tips for non-city locations to explore.

texas.grok is online now Senior Member
    I may be biased (ok, I am biased) but I grew up in Amarillo, Texas. About 180000 population. Home of what was the world's largest cattle auction. While granted the beef there is likely not grass fed, it is in abundance and good. Try either Cattle Call or Big Texan (home of the 72 oz steak, free if eaten in an hour). While the city is not on par with places like NYC for an overabundance of things to do, there is still lots to do both in and close to Amarillo. Palo Duro Canyon is about 20 miles away and is like a smaller and less developed Grand Canyon. You can get off the beaten paths to camp pretty easy with lots of hiking trails. Also close is the Cowboy Breakfast which is served on the rim of the canyon from a chuckwagon. If you are traveling by highway, I-40 goes right through Amarillo. A bit of the old west still exist there.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

growingmarijuana is offline Junior Member

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    The essence of America is the road itself.

Read Kerouac's On The Road or Hunter Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (the bits about the convertible Cadillac and the desert) or even The Grapes of Wrath.

Then rent a convertible (or even better a motorcycle) and hit the road to wherever it leads.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    The one place in North America I feel I *have* to return to is British Columbia. I love nature and not big cities (Vancouver is great though), so that's what I based my personal pick on.

I'd also go back to the virgin islands in a heartbeat. I'm not much of a beach person but damn if that place isn't relaxing.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    I went on several fishing trips in Alaska when I was younger... it was pretty amazing. We would go to a place call Anvik, you would have to take 3 flights to get there, each one on a progressively smaller plane until you get to one that lands on water. We would stay in a cabin for a week and besides the 3 guides and maybe 4-6 other guests you would not see anyone for an entire time. It was great. Eating fresh caught salmon for lunch on the edge of the river and not seeing a single person besides your guide. Bears and wolves wandering nearby, no buildings, no noise, nothing.

I've also been to parts of Alaska where the rivers are so crowded with people you can't get a spot and where the highways are jammed up with old people in motorhomes... that part sucks.

If you are not into the whole "wilderness" thing, I would say that New Orleans is by far my favorite city destination in the U.S.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

lizch is offline Senior Member
    San Francisco and Yosemite.
    If you need serious warmth, Sedona.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    The rocky mountains are great. My favorite place is Jasper, Alberta - it is smaller and less touristy than most places but absolutely beautiful. I also second British Columbia.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

bwhit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    San Francisco and Yosemite.
    If you need serious warmth, Sedona.
    SF would be a great place to go because you have that beautiful city and then you have Yosemite closeby or the amazing coastal drive through Big Sur, Monterrey, etc. Can't go wrong with NYC either.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    The essence of America is the road itself.

Read Kerouac's On The Road or Hunter Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (the bits about the convertible Cadillac and the desert) or even The Grapes of Wrath.

Then rent a convertible (or even better a motorcycle) and hit the road to wherever it leads.
    I agree, if you're going to visit America, don't just stay in a City or two, travel the country and visit multiple states/cities
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast