Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where in North America is the best vacation spot? page 2

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Personally, I'm gonna do a Route 66 tour one of these days, preferably in a (rented) Jeep Wrangler or convertible Mazda Miata.
    I'm also intending to retrace some family trips from when I was MUCH younger: Dallas to Naiagara Falls, Canada via IN, MO, MI, etc and back via NY, TN, PA, etc., Dallas to Crazy Horse Monument/ Mt. Rushmore via Dodge City, and the Mall of the Americas.
    I also want to see what wet looks like and go hit up the Pacific Northwest (professional and personal curiosity.)
    Fossil Rim here in TX is awesome, as is Big Bend.
    I'm intending to get to all 50 states one of these days.
    I want to get up to Minnesota, Sioux Falls, Columbus, Ithaca, DC, and a few other places to vist friends I've either never met IRL or friends I haven't seen since forever.
    I want to go to Groesbeck, TX and Muskogee, TX, as well as Ellis Island, Chicago, IL and Lansing, MI for geneology pusposes.
    Chicago to see a Bears game, back to Dallas for a Stars and FCDallas game, and, gods willing and the creek don't rise, Soldier Stadium for a Super Bowl.
    All 3 bodies of oceanic water (Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf of Mexico)
    Baja
    Oaxaca
    Olmec/ Aztec ruins
    Canadian wild, although I'd freeze my nips off
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Groesbeck, TX
    The Groesbeck Goats... I played them in HS football.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    The Groesbeck Goats... I played them in HS football.
    Yeah, I'm wanting to say we faced them a few times in academic UIL back in HS.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    There is such a range of things to see... beaches, mountains, glaciers, canyons, cities...
    San Francisco - cool neighborhoods & near redwood trees and Big Sur
    Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion Canyon, Arches NP - interesting landscapes that you can't really see anywhere else.
    Then of course the cities.... I'm partial to sweet home Chicago, but also San Diego, Austin TX, Seattle, NYC.
    Canadian people are pretty darn nice.
    Haven't yet been to Hawaii, Alaska.. but someday.

Chicago to see a Bears game, back to Dallas for a Stars and FCDallas game, and, gods willing and the creek don't rise, Soldier Stadium for a Super Bowl.
    Hey, I'm not the only hybrid Chicago Bears & Dallas Stars fan! Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
    Hey, I'm not the only hybrid Chicago Bears & Dallas Stars fan! Yay!
    I thought I was the only one! How'd you get to being a hybrid? I was a Stars fan back when I lived in Dallas and always rooted against the Cowgirls. When I met my husband and learned more about the Bears, I became a Bears girl. It was funny as hell last season when the Bears plays the 'Boys. My father and I were giving each other hell all game long.
    My Primal Battle Tome

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    It's really so widely varied.

A lot of Europeans really seemed to be enthralled with the desert, since it's so different from anything they've ever known.

Vancouver (British Columbia, not Washington state!) is one of the best/most beautiful cities on the planet.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    It's really so widely varied.

A lot of Europeans really seemed to be enthralled with the desert, since it's so different from anything they've ever known.

Vancouver (British Columbia, not Washington state!) is one of the best/most beautiful cities on the planet.
    If they want desert, take them from Socal due east for half a continent. They'll see most of the variations there are, aside from straight Sahara/ Outback dune deserts. Oh wait, that's in Monahans, so we have that too...
    My Primal Battle Tome

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Philadelphia
    Baltimore -
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia or anywhere along the Appalachian mountains including the Appalachian trail
    North Carolina - mountains and beaches
    Desert southwest
    San Antonio TX

Darn it - it's difficult to really pick out one spot although the Shenandoah Valley does hold a special place for me as we travel there once a year and go winery hopping.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I agree, naiad. Due east from LA -- hit Palm Springs and Joshua Tree ... then on to the Painted Desert/Valley of the Dinosaurs, which is on Route 66 in Arizona. I was hearing lots of European accents along Route 66, in the Painted Desert.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    I thought I was the only one! How'd you get to being a hybrid? I was a Stars fan back when I lived in Dallas and always rooted against the Cowgirls. When I met my husband and learned more about the Bears, I became a Bears girl. It was funny as hell last season when the Bears plays the 'Boys. My father and I were giving each other hell all game long.
    LOL! We did the same thing at our house... my boyfriend is from Dallas, die-hard Cowboys & Stars fan. I'm from Chicago, Bears fan for life! Was so funny to taunt each other before the game, but tried not to rub it in too much when we squashed the 'boys. The man loves his hockey, and I started watching Stars games too... back when Tippet was coach & Modano was still there. He's been boycotting Marc Crawford, so we should be clear to see some games again next season.

Back to topic... some other good ideas in this thread, although it is specifically outdoorsy US stuff. Don't forget Canada though! And maybe Mexico, just have to be safe!
    Advice for a big holiday in the US

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast