Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you sprint? page

Roy G. Biv is offline Junior Member

How often do you sprint?

Primal Fuel
    I used to run around 5k everyday (speed training to race) and I would finish it with an all out sprint in the home stretch. When I read TPB it mentioned sprinting maybe once a week. I know that track and field stars probably sprint a lot more than that and I enjoy sprinting, but when I sprinted everyday I could feel it taxing my CNS. However, I just don't think once a week is enough, especially for fat loss. Whats the max safe amount one can sprint per week? 2 or 3 sessions? More? How much do YOU sprint (if at all)?
    “Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.” ~ Aristotle

What is Spartan Strength?

citiusaltiusfortius is offline Junior Member
    Well i'm also a runner and I train with this intensity for each daily run:

Hard
    Easy
    Medium
    Easy

My hard days I will either do sprints (5x400m) or (3x800m) in an almost all out effort. Or I will do a 2 mile tempo run at a very fast 95% pace.
    Medium intensity days are simple about 3-5 strides consisting of 200m in length at 85% effort.

Hope this helps!

I have another quick question about sprints. I'm looking for the fastest possible way to lose some excess bodyfat (right now I'm hovering around 18%, but I would like to get down to 10-12%ish). I like to run in the morning, and I'm usually not hungry. Back when I was a chronic runner, I would leave without having breakfast. Now that I'm going to be doing HIIT sprints, I would still prefer to do them in the morning. Can I do HIIT sprints in a fasted state for some turbo-mode fat loss, or will I just end up puking, passing out and catabolizing muscle tissue? If that IS the case, can I avoid that fate if I down some whey protein before I leave?
    “Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.” ~ Aristotle

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Experiment. I've had sprint sessions where I want to puke, others are better. I always sprint fasted.

However, you may be thinking about this the wrong way, sometimes doing more doesn't result in the fat loss you want. What do you know about carb refeeds? they work wonders for people in your situation (already lean, looking to get leaner)

I try to sprint once weekly at the very least. However sometimes I do 2 sessions a week, but only 1 is a serious 10 dashes for at least 50 yards max effort, the other one I don't feel I need to go all out in but I sometimes will do it on a hill but not as many repetitions.

Fat loss has a lot more to do with your food intake than your activity. However if you're going to sprint, do so fasted and wait at least an hour or two before eating anything (or taking a shake or whatever, drink water only) because the HGH that flows after a sprint workout is what keeps burning fat and you shut it down the second you eat.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Once a week. I do hills...8 x 100 meters. There is no way I could go all out for more than 200 meters.... you must be a beast. What's your 400 meter time. I'd encourage you to stop running as much and do some strength training.

I don't really know anything about carb refeeds. I looked them up, but I'm still about confused. Would you mind giving me the cliff notes version of how it can help me?

otzi Guest
    Look in the Odds and Ends forums for the "Official Carb Refeed Thread". We're still trying to get ChocoTaco in there. He started this whole carb refeed madness a few weeks ago and has been very good about explaining it.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I don't sprint unless I need to. That being said, I sprinted a good 100-150 meters today so I could catch the light and not be stuck waiting at the crosswalk. That and there was a bouncy female jogger I just had to check out.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post
    I have another quick question about sprints. I'm looking for the fastest possible way to lose some excess bodyfat (right now I'm hovering around 18%, but I would like to get down to 10-12%ish). I like to run in the morning, and I'm usually not hungry. Back when I was a chronic runner, I would leave without having breakfast. Now that I'm going to be doing HIIT sprints, I would still prefer to do them in the morning. Can I do HIIT sprints in a fasted state for some turbo-mode fat loss, or will I just end up puking, passing out and catabolizing muscle tissue? If that IS the case, can I avoid that fate if I down some whey protein before I leave?
    To simplify: Sprinting = anaerobic = carbs. In the morning the liver is empty (80g is not much given the needs of the brain) so you first use up your muscle glycogen, if any. Once this is gone, the liver makes carbs from protein, ie your muscles if you are fasted. At least have some protein, and make sure your glycogen stores are full (ie carb-refeed)

JohnC is offline Junior Member
    Once a week Tabata style sprints as Mark recommends.

And if you want to lose weight look to your diet not how much you sprint. You would need to sprint yourself near to death to lose any serious amount of weight and you'd likely eat it back in seconds afterwards from the extra hunger; you can easily lose weight by cutting calories. Try intermittent fasting, lot's of good advice on it in this site (I mean the site itself, not the forums which seem to be full of people who don't actually read or follow any of Mark's advice).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast