Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Primal for everyone? page

Gloworm is offline Member

Is Primal for everyone?

Primal Fuel
    Aloha! I'm new to Primal and already know I'm a lifetime member! I'm posting to share all the goodness that's been happening in the short time I've been primal but I'm also wondering if Primal is for everyone? I've been reading this forum (in a kind of crazily obsessed way) and it seems like some people really struggle with it (cravings, "falling off the wagon", etc). For me the difference was night and day in a short time period so there's no going back. Anyhoo, here's what happened to me.

I came upon MDA, through Zen Habits, who recommended MDA if you were stuggling with that last eight pounds. I used to work in the circus and have always maintained a good level of fitness. I'm 43 and have been 138lbs with around 17% body fat for like, ever. I work out a lot and Mark's "functional fitness" appealed to me. I don't work out unless it makes my one-arm hand stand better. Though my handstand are great (used to be a trapeze artist), I have a herniated disk as well as pretty bad arthritis in my hips and lower back (yeah, thanks contortion). It kind of bummed me out that I can't do what I used to, but hell, I'm 43. Do I really need my splits?

I jumped into Primal mostly because for a day and half, I'd managed to accidentally avoid grains with a big ass salad. So I figured I had a running head start. I've given little to no credit to low-carb diets mostly I think, because I've seen whack-jobs who bastardize the whole process. You know, the Atkins guy who sits and eats 5 prime rib slices, no veggies and claims the orange garnish on his plate is making him gain weight. But Mark made sense. For some reason it sunk in. Not low-carb but THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF CARBS. So I jumped in.

By Day 3: My skin was incredible! This puffiness around my eyes that I thought was genes...gone.
    Excuse the poop talk but as John Robbins says, We aren't what we eat, we are what we don't shit...well, let's just say this was the most beautiful poop I've ever seen. I was tempted to weigh myself afterwards...yeah, that kind.

By Day 4: I can not believe how long I can go without food. I was definitely one of those every 2 hour eaters. I mean, I'd get cranky and shaky. I notice my mood is super level as is my patience with my 5 year old.

By Day 5: I realize I'm not using moisturizer. My previously very dry skin, is constantly smooth. I'm also realizing I don't have to constantly smear my lips with chapstick. My skin continues to look amazing (and it wasn't bad to begin with) and I'm not itchy at all (family history of dermatitis).

By Day 6: You can't shut me up about Primal. Unfortunately, the defensiveness of CW totally slaps me in the face. But that's cool. I learn very quickly to just shut up.

By Day 7: I've lost 6 pounds. I look cut, mostly because I have good muscles under this layer of bloat or puffiness (that I really didn't know I had). I also realize for the first time THAT I HAVE NO PAIN IN MY HIPS OR BACK. I'm like, no f-ing way.

By Day 8: Holy Crap! I'm watching for pain now as my absolute rage at the medical community starts to boil. All the chiropractors, acupuncturists, homeopathics (long ago, I ditched medical CW) and no one suggested I give up grains!!! I'm pissed.

By Day 9: I realize that I'm sleeping through the night. I have always been a midnight snacker. Now, either because I'm pain free or my blood sugar is stabilized, I'm sleeping soundly through the night. So good that I'm able to give up coffee. Had you suggested me giving up coffee a month ago, I'd have hurt you. I'm not waking up all boogery from allergies.

I'm only into my 3rd week here and I am staying. I'm currently reading blogs about Primal and kids and plan on switching my son to Primal at the end of the school year.

I definitely feel like I've found my Tribe! Though I'm reading a ton about this, I'm already convinced this is the key to living life. I already feel like many of you are my friends (like Griff and lil earthmama). So I just wanted to jump and in and be in with the In Crowd!
    Peace!

I also want to add that I've had NO cravings for carbs or sugar at all. That's amazing. I think adding nuts, seeds and say, a ton of coconut is what's making a big difference.

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    That's inspiring progress! I wish somebody would do a research project on the "normal progress" (after adopting PB) for younger vs older, and fit vs not-so-fit. I almost think I'm noticing a trend of people who are pretty fit to begin with having a big response from their body almost immediately, whereas if you've got more history of body abuse, it's going to take longer.

kenfuji is offline Member
    Wow! good job! I'm on week 6. I think my body is taking a little longer adapting to all the changes, but I'm defiantly seeing huge improvements too.

Thanks guys! Yeah...I figure I had a big head start. Plus, I think I'm super in tune with my body, so someone else might not notice as much in the beginning.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm View Post
    I've been reading this forum (in a kind of crazily obsessed way) and it seems like some people really struggle with it (cravings, "falling off the wagon", etc).
    I look at it like someone who is quitting an addition. I remember when I quit smoking years ago, for at least a year or two afterword... I still wanted a cigarette. It was just a desire that needed time to go away and the longer I went without one, the less often I would crave it. I think the same can be said of suger/carb cravings, it is really hard in the begining, but in my experience gets easier the longer you avoid them.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    welcome to the tribe I don`t know if Primal is right for everyone but it`s right for me. I love this way of eating and I`m trying to incorporate more into the total WOL as far as exercise and whatnot. BTW- my friend is also an ex circus person. She was a dancer and rode elephants and her hubby was a clown.
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

champion~ is offline Junior Member
    Thanks.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    From a scientific POV then yeah, eating primal IS for everyone (though the individual must adjust macros to their lifestyle. Ie: I eat more carbs because I like to train heavily from time to time, when I’m being lazier I keep carbs lower and up fat, etc)

I think the falling off and stuff is people being a little too hard on themselves. I’ve been there too, especially at first you want to get it right all the time, now that it’s been a while I’m a lot more laid back about it. Ate something with grains? Screw it, it’s not like I do it constantly. I keep it moving knowing that the majority of my meals and choices are good.

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Ate something with grains? Screw it, it’s not like I do it constantly. I keep it moving knowing that the majority of my meals and choices are good.
    Afrigginmen! And sometimes it can be a great reminder of why you`re doing the Primal lifestyle to begin with
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast