Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Female dilemma - getting stronger, and bigger page

jdl409 Guest

Primal Fuel

So, I've pretty much been the same weight since I started college (10 years ago). It seems that no matter what I do, I don't lose weight on the scale and have actually gotten bigger -- my clothes fit tighter because my shoulders and quads are bigger. I'm female and have been primal for about 9 months and doing Crossfit-style workouts for about 4 years or so (I did gymnastics for 15 years before that). I'm increasing my strength with my workouts and can do more pullups, run faster, jump higher etc. than I could about a year ago.

As a female, it's tough for me to reconcile my feelings: I love being strong and fit, yet I'd like to be leaner and lose scale weight. Should I workout less? Should I stop lifting heavy things? I currently workout about 5-6 days a week and I truly enjoy it. It energizes me and I feel crappy on the days I don't workout.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

jdl409,

When you say, "leaner" you really have any fat to lose?

If so, there are a lot of knowledgable people herre who can help you with that, I think.

If it's just that women's clothes don't fit a muscular body well....that IS a problem. A lot of designers don't seem to understand the non-anorexic female form very well. I have actually found Anne Taylor very good for fitting through the shoulders; bought a couple of her suits for work, and she does casual clothes, as well.

Please don't be afraid of being strong!

jdl409 Guest

My body fat (taken with the hand-held devices they have at the gym) is about 17-19%, so I don't think I can get much lower for long periods of time.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

...so there ya go. You are as lean as you could be :-)

I'm just guessing you look fantastic!

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member

I think if you really want to reduce your overall size, seems like the only way would be to decrease muscle mass. I know we all gain muscle at different rates, and have different maximum (natural) muscle size. I sort of worry about getting too big, too, because I seem to put on muscle very easily. So I imagine if your goal is to become smaller in size, you probably have to stop lifting so heavy and just do less lifting overall. I imagine you will lose strength, and maybe be less happy, since it seems like you really enjoy your workouts. It's all about compromises, so you just need to figure out which of the variables is most important to you. Sucks that sometimes you can't have it all, but I agree with Kuno in that I am sure your body looks absolutely amazing as is!

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't change it.

Seems like you have excellent results and your body type is just a little stocky... nothing wrong with that.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member

Ashtanga Yoga would keep you strong and really fit and might over time lessen the bulk of your muscles while still keeping some real world strength. It's a great workout and would probably give you lots of energy like your crossfit workouts do. It is NOT a lazy yoga!

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

jdl, in the good carb thread there is a lot of info about carbing up and repleting your glycogen stores to prevent the loss of lean mass. Losing muscle seems to be much easier than I thought.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

BigBeck89 Guest

I'm guessing you have a slightly distorted self image of yourself. if your BF% is 17 and you are that physically fit, then I'm guessing you're rather attractive

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Being strong is cool. I would never sacrifice strength to fit into a smaller pair of jeans.

Throw the scales out!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast