Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Female dilemma - getting stronger, and bigger page 2

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Have you ever seen the image comparing 5 pounds of muscle to 5 pounds of fat?

http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/images/fat-v-muscle.jpg

Muscle is denser and smaller. If you're truly the same weight you used to be, how could you be bigger if you now have more muscle? That doesn't make sense to me.

Del Mar Mel Guest

You are definitely lean enough but maybe you have put on more muscle than you would like. My trainer, Valerie Waters, believes that women can bulk up more than they might like. She trains Jennifer Garner and a bunch of other action-ladies. She subscribes to a different sort of workout where we actually use lighter weights than I ever used and it has helped me un-bulk somewhat. She has a great little device called the Valslide that helps you get lean and strong without bulking up.

I had discovered Val after reading about how she is Jennifer Garner's trainer. If you are looking for that type of lean, strong look I'd check out valslide.com. Great workouts. And it's not just about the looks. I just listened to an interview with a stunt woman who has worked with some of Val's girls and she said Val's gals do almost all of their own stunts because they are so fit and strong.

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Well, that's my problem too. My legs have gotten too big and I have stopped doing heavy squats and dead lifts in an attempt to get them to "shrink". It's very annoying not to be able to wear my favorite jeans because they're too tight in the legs. grrrr.

I was just going to post this dilemma!

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Switching training up could affect this. Im not saying you need to or should, but instead of heavy and very low rep training, stay in the 8-12 range. Some days go high rep (will actual make you look leaner) in the 16-30 rep range. Incorporate explosive exercises (plyometric push-ups/pull-ups)...

Meaning, go for more intensity over higher weight, and btw human physiology dictates any gain in weight comes with a gain in muscle and fat, and any loss in weight results in a loss of fat and muscle. The ratios are what you can change, but I doubt your going to lose pounds of muscle over switching training.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Del Mar Mel Guest

I highly recommend the Valslide. You can really work your legs without using any weight or very light weight. Lance Armstrong's strength coach uses them as well. Endurance athletes are trying to build muscular endurance without adding bulky muscle. These are a great tool. I also build muscle fairly easily and these are really helping me change up my old methods. Check out photos of Jennifer Garner during Alias. She was, and still is, very lean and strong but not bulky.

animalcule is offline Senior Member

It sounds to me like the only way for you to get smaller would be to let your muscles atrophy, and I wouldn't. All that muscle mass is so healthy for you, and I bet you look absolutely gorgeous. Yopu are lucky that you can build it, too! Being small and narrow is NOT my idea of an ideal body.. although I think waify women like myself can be lovely as well.

Finding clothes that fit right is hard for every woman. The simple fact is that modern ready-wear laser-cut clothes are hit and miss for every body type. I have a model type build (often referred to as 'anorexic&#39 and it's very difficult for me to find flattering clothes that will accomodate my shoulders, hips and thighs (which are broader and curvier than the rest of me) that don't obscure my smaller areas and make me look like I have a boy-body...

"Muscle is denser and smaller. If you're truly the same weight you used to be, how could you be bigger if you now have more muscle? That doesn't make sense to me."

It's not so much overall size change, as where you bulk up when you put on muscle. If you get bigger in your lats, hips, and thighs (where I put on the most muscle), it REALLY changes how your clothes fit. I only gained about 5 lbs of msucle weight when I was working out hard-core, but I gained 2 inches of circumference around the top of each thigh, which was enough to make me grow out of most of my pants.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I'm glad you posted this. It's been on my mind lately, too. (I wrote about it here http://inthenightlife.blogspot.com/2...go-figure.html .)

In short, I have decided to embrace strength and the "look" that goes with it. I like it better every day. I think strong is sexy, and I like men who think strong is sexy. Who cares what anyone else thinks?

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Find a good tailor.

Ecala is offline Junior Member

[quote]

I highly recommend the Valslide. You can really work your legs without using any weight or very light weight. </blockquote>

thanks for the tip Del..... I&#39;m going to check the Valslide out

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

"I think strong is sexy, and I like men who think strong is sexy. "

I wholeheartedly agree. Id say, keep lifting, girl!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast