Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your favorite "play" activities? page

norak is offline Senior Member

What are your favorite "play" activities?

Shop Now
    I'm curious, what are people's favorite "play" activities? By "play" I mean any physical activity you do for fun but not necessarily strictly as a workout.

Personally I don't have one favorite activity or game, but I love doing things like walking, hiking, kayaking, cross-country skiing and bicycling (MTB).

I also want to learn diving (take the PADI certificate) and rock climbing (need to take a class), and I would like to improve my swimming technique and learn how to crawl properly (possibly participating in a triathlon in a couple of years). I'm also curious about yoga and tai chi, and I would love to learn some sort of martial arts (not sure which, but the body control required by martial arts and yoga fascinates me).

Also, are there any activities you would like to try out but haven't, for whatever reason? If you are working on fat loss or general fitness improvement, is your goal to be able to do any specific activity or activities?

Eventually, I would love to reach a level of fitness (and self-confidence) where I would be able to at least try out pretty much any activity out there without being worried that I was not fit enough or not strong enough, etc. I wouldn't need to be any good at it, but just knowing you could do something motivates me.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Does sex count? (you knew someone was going to ask this)
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by norak View Post
    I'm curious, what are people's favorite "play" activities? By "play" I mean any physical activity you do for fun but not necessarily strictly as a workout.

Personally I don't have one favorite activity or game, but I love doing things like walking, hiking, kayaking, cross-country skiing and bicycling (MTB).

I also want to learn diving (take the PADI certificate) and rock climbing (need to take a class), and I would like to improve my swimming technique and learn how to crawl properly (possibly participating in a triathlon in a couple of years). I'm also curious about yoga and tai chi, and I would love to learn some sort of martial arts (not sure which, but the body control required by martial arts and yoga fascinates me).

Also, are there any activities you would like to try out but haven't, for whatever reason? If you are working on fat loss or general fitness improvement, is your goal to be able to do any specific activity or activities?

Eventually, I would love to reach a level of fitness (and self-confidence) where I would be able to at least try out pretty much any activity out there without being worried that I was not fit enough or not strong enough, etc. I wouldn't need to be any good at it, but just knowing you could do something motivates me.
    I say try it all. I went on meetup.com and just started going to events that people hosted in my area. I've snowboarded for a long time, so I like that. I'm doing a little rock climbing, standup paddling, lake swimming, flag football.....and that's just what I've done in the past week.

I tried yoga earlier this year. It was hot yoga, and the instructors were like drill instructors....I wanted to punch them in the face. That setting was bad, but it's really fucking challenging to do yoga well. Maybe martial arts are more my thing? I also dislike bike riding (but I like motorcycles).

I want to do some backpacking this summer! Backpacking + possibly some boat transportation like canoe or kayak mixed in. I also like just walking through the park and watching the geese. I'm easy sometimes...

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Does sex count? (you knew someone was going to ask this)
    how could I forget.....

peril is offline Senior Member
    Kayak fishing on the ocean for me
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Badminton!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    hiking is my big form of play, but i also like ultimate frisbee, disc golf, mountain biking, playing with my dog, soccer, basketball, tennis, climbing trees, roller skating/blading, snow shoeing...i'll pretty much do anything that gets me out in the sun.

busymom is offline Junior Member
    Playing with my kids- on the trampoline, pushing them on swings, catch, soccer, walking/jogging while they ride their scooters or bikes, swimming, etc

walking or hiking, esp by the lake (my city is on the shore of Lake Superior- absolutely gorgeous- looks a lot like the ocean)

norak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    hiking is my big form of play, but i also like ultimate frisbee, disc golf, mountain biking, playing with my dog, soccer, basketball, tennis, climbing trees, roller skating/blading, snow shoeing...i'll pretty much do anything that gets me out in the sun.
    This I should be doing more often.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    I love mountain biking, have not gotten to go that much lately, it always seems like the trails are soaked when I have the free time. I also started Muay Thai Boxing about 2 months ago, I love getting to kick the crap out of things.

I've always wanted to do an multi-day kayak/fishing/camping trip.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast