Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any type 1 diabetics doing a paleo/PB style diet? page

GnomeKing is offline Junior Member

Any type 1 diabetics doing a paleo/PB style diet?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Brief history on me:
    Type 1 diabetic (LADA, diagnosed at 25; I'm 32 now) and insulin dependent. Tried a vegan diet (John McDougall, PCRM style high-carb/low-fat program) for the past 4 months, from January until late-April. It was horrible in terms of effect on blood sugar, I did however see my cholesterol drop to 123 total with an equal HDL/LDL ratio. (Only important if you consider cholesterol important; my cardiologist was thrilled but less thrilled with my high HbA1C score of 8.4...)

Recently, as on May 1st, switched to a high-fat, moderate-protein, low-carb way of eating. Noticed that ketosis and I don't get along too well - rapid heartbeat and feelings of my heart pounding out of my chest. Did some research, found this link (among others):

Hyperlipid: A brief discussion of ketosis

...and added back carbs to about 90 grams a day, just enough to keep me out of ketosis and avoid the heart-pounding effects of ketosis, for me, and still low enough to keep my insulin needs stable. I eat around 15 grams of carbs at breakfast, 30 for dinner and lunch, and then sometimes a 15 gram snack or so - all in the form of fruit, vegetables, vegetable juice or coconut water. (The latter two for potassium.)

So far I am loving the diet, my wife is enjoying it as well. Dropping grains and legumes weren't hard for us at all - honestly, after 4 months on a McDougall program I don't care if I ever see a grain or legume again... interested in seeing how my cholesterol levels change on this diet but I am not anticipating too much of a swing; even when I was younger and eating fast food my cholesterol wasn't ever horrible - genetic, maybe?

Are there any other type 1's here following a basically PB way of eating? I know Dr. Bernstein's diabetes solution forum has quite a few, but then again, that's a low-carb diet designed for diabetics more than a paleo diet.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I'm considered borderline diabetic according to my friend when I had my post-meal blood glucose reading of 147(?). My father was recently diagnosed as onset diabetic (?). But, it's something running in both sides of my family. As I'd posted in the Vegan to Paleo transition thread, I'm slowly trying to get my friend to try out the Paleo plan. I know it's going to be a process, but I'm slowly trying to get him aware of what he's really putting into his body. Even though I'm not type 1, I would like to continually read what you have to share regarding your ongoing process. I much appreciate this, thank you.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Don't they really market the McDougall diet as the best for diabetics? It didn't work for you.

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    I believe Dr Bernsteins stuff is very Paleo compatible - certainly better than a vegan diet....

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    I'm considered borderline diabetic according to my friend when I had my post-meal blood glucose reading of 147(?). My father was recently diagnosed as onset diabetic (?). But, it's something running in both sides of my family. As I'd posted in the Vegan to Paleo transition thread, I'm slowly trying to get my friend to try out the Paleo plan. I know it's going to be a process, but I'm slowly trying to get him aware of what he's really putting into his body. Even though I'm not type 1, I would like to continually read what you have to share regarding your ongoing process. I much appreciate this, thank you.
    Exercise is pretty important when trying to avoid slipping into T2 diabetes. I have written together a couple of thoughts here Exercising for Diabetes – Insuline Resistance Protocol | Thor Falk

Quote Originally Posted by Thor Falk View Post
    Exercise is pretty important when trying to avoid slipping into T2 diabetes. I have written together a couple of thoughts here Exercising for Diabetes – Insuline Resistance Protocol | Thor Falk
    I will look into this, thank you very much, Thor Falk! I've been exercising, personally. I, however, have kind of trimmed my efforts trying to keep within PB guidelines of taking things more easily. Right now, I'm trying to figure out an optimal frequency with respect to Cross Fit sessions, for fear of the chronic cardio syndrome written often in the PB.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Don't they really market the McDougall diet as the best for diabetics? It didn't work for you.
    It's been a ride through the diabetes roller coaster (I call it that, but if that offends any diabetics, I apologize ahead of time). When I was screened by the military they talked about my being diabetic due to sugar readings in my urinalysis. I've watched specials; read books; talked with diabetics I know who live with it daily. For whatever reason, the PB made the most sense.

I came across a doctor, through one of those public broadcasting specials, talking about a vegan diet. It was sensible, well-presented; and coincided with typical advice given: eat right; exercise; and watch sugar/carb intake. It pushed the idea of the glycemic index. But, it still advocated the intake of grains - albeit, it would be low glycemic grains. He even suggested eating beans.

I'm a Martial Artist, so I'm often looking for optimal nutrition, and fitness. With this said, I was on the anti-yolk wagon for years, until reading the Blueprint. I also was counting this, counting that - especially fat levels, and carbohydrates. I, also was pushing my body daily (I remember jogging two to three miles/day); and throwing my sleeping patterns out of whack.

Ever since going to PB, I think I've taken control of my health issues, for the most part. I'll admit there were times I could have been more vigilant regarding my consistency, but I'm working on it.

apple is offline Senior Member
    Dr. Bernstein is very compatible with paleo! His food groups pretty much are meat and vegetables. He includes dairy, but not milk or any low-fat dairy. The only stuff I don't agree with is the meat substitutes that he approves--he doesn't care if people eat soy or vegetable oil, but he does say to avoid wheat. Almost every meat substitute I ever ate as a vegan had wheat in it. Vital wheat gluten is the vegans' secret weapon!

I'm type 1, was also vegan for a while...it was pretty awful. Mostly because I loved baking, but you know...lack of meat didn't help me out, apparently.
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

apple is offline Senior Member
    PS. I think the whole "glycemic index" thing is crap. Just because a food is low glycemic doesn't mean it won't give the same blood sugar rise as high glycemic foods, even if it is slightly slower. I can't stand that agave nectar gets such a good reputation because it's "low glycemic" with no thought given to what it does to the liver. All that "eat lots of small meals and snacks with a low glycemic index" crap might keep your blood sugar stable, but it's keeping it high and stable.

Sorry to rant, but some things just really get to me when it comes to educating diabetics properly, and the glycemic index is one of those things!! I guess I'm just against letting diabetics think it's okay to drink straight fructose...
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    PS. I think the whole "glycemic index" thing is crap. Just because a food is low glycemic doesn't mean it won't give the same blood sugar rise as high glycemic foods, even if it is slightly slower. I can't stand that agave nectar gets such a good reputation because it's "low glycemic" with no thought given to what it does to the liver. All that "eat lots of small meals and snacks with a low glycemic index" crap might keep your blood sugar stable, but it's keeping it high and stable.

Sorry to rant, but some things just really get to me when it comes to educating diabetics properly, and the glycemic index is one of those things!! I guess I'm just against letting diabetics think it's okay to drink straight fructose...
    I hear you on this. I found myself splitting hairs, more often than not, on such matters. I think, as long as we keep things KISS as much as possible, the hair splitting would be cut to a good minimum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast