Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: My Success Story... at least, the first bit. page 7

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, Griff sent me a PM on August 17th that he was fed up with the reaction he got on this particular thread and others so he was leaving MDA. I have his email address. I think I'll see how he is doing.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    I PM'd him a short while ago and he said he was doing fine. Go ahead and email, though -- I bet he'd love to hear from you! Just cool to know he's still out there.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Paleobird Guest
    I agree that the MDA boards were a better place when Griff was here. I didn't always agree with everything he said but he alway said it intelligently and with thought, logic, and facts to back it up. I really respect him and hope he would consider giving MDA another try. But I understand if he doesn't.

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    So we take our ball and go home?

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Oh, stop it.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tapper47 View Post
    So we take our ball and go home?
    Everyone works their "Primal Plan" differently. We all have our own opinions and some of us are more vocal than others. The problem is that some people attack others here because they believe their way is best. Griff offered a lot of useful advice to this community-ie. the cholesterol Primer. Yes, he had strong opinions about VLC, exercise etc., but He was always encouraging to others. He left because he was being personally attacked about his choices in working his plan.

Honestly, my plan is different from Griffs, but I respected him and feel that MDA lost a valuable member.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    True, indeed, Paula.

He was unfairly attacked for holding his own goals and no-one else's. It was ugly and unnecessary. I'm glad he's doing well, because I just thought about him this morning, and this thread popped up.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Oh this is sad, id love to know how Griff is doing.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Yes, Griff sent me a PM on August 17th that he was fed up with the reaction he got on this particular thread and others so he was leaving MDA. I have his email address. I think I'll see how he is doing.
    Paula, in his original post in this thread Griff said he had a blog. You wouldn't know where that is would you? I'd love a link to it.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

ScottCIrwin is offline Junior Member

Thank you Griff.

I am new to MDA (just approved today), therefore and perhaps not coincidentally, relatively new to paleo/primal/caveman/grok/etc. I really appreciate reading your cholesterol primer and the experience you shared on the boards. Looking forward to reading and learning more.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I posted to a few of my blog sites explaining the basics behind Primal, but the forum choked when I tried to post the whole thing here. Then I realized, most people here already know all the science. I just want to share my success. So here it is:

OK, I'm going to write a little bit here about my weight-loss and getting-healthy journey. I put those terms in that order, mostly because most people just want to know how I lost the weight (and am continuing to lose it) when I'm eating stuff that they've been told by everyone they know is "unhealthy." However, for me, the object is really health, and weight is secondary to that goal.

Here's my success story: I started out in August of 2009 at 397 pounds (essentially, 400 pounds). I had diabetes (A1c = 8.7), arthritis (I was in a powered wheelchair most of the time), severe migraines, IBS, and a host of other problems. My father had died of diabetes (through gangrene and advanced cancer), and I didn't want to head down the same path. So when my doctor sat me down on August 13 and said "Change or die," I took him seriously, and I began searching the Internet for answers.

I found several, all of them leading to the same startling conclusions. I am a scientist by trade and training (social scientist, but it's still science) and so when I first discovered the ideas of low-carb and Paleo eating, I investigated all the nutrition literature I could get my hands on, to see if these folks were just con men or if their assertions were backed up by the science. When I discovered that the science supported their assertions, I dove in and I have never once regretted it.

All of my health problems began to disappear within three weeks. My bloodwork in November, four months into it, shocked my doctor. He couldn't believe I'd gone from an 8.7 A1c to a 5.4 (normal) A1c in only four months. At that point I'd lost 47 pounds, too, without effort. I drove my wheelchair into Student Services at school a month after I started this process and said "Here, I'm abandoning this, hope someone who needs it can use it." They all knew me pretty well - I'd been in a chair since undergrad - and it gave me such a charge to walk out of that office to their open-mouthed stares.

It's been almost two years since I started this process. I am still not what most people would consider "healthy" in terms of weight - I'm at about 295 right now - but I'm a hell of a lot better than where I was, and in terms of health problems, I'm stellar. The diabetes is essentially gone - my doctor says I've cured it. I'm walking all over the place and usually without pain. The IBS is history, I haven't had a migraine in over a year, and I have more energy at 40 than I ever had at 20.

That's how I did it, and how I'm continuing to do it. By my calculations, I'm losing about a pound and a half a week, without any real effort beyond not eating things that are bad for me and spike insulin (grains, beans/pulses, starchy vegetables, fruit, sugars, and processed food). I never, ever thought I'd see the underside of 300 on a scale again. The fact that I have used to amaze me, but now I know it's not magic. It's science.

Yesterday I discussed this with a registered nurse. She gasped in shock when I described my average daily diet, and then began to shake her head in wonder as I explained the science behind it. And now she's heading off to the sites and books I told her about, because it convinced her that this works.

That's how I did it, folks. You can do it, too.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast