Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal for months, can't lose a single pound and can't figure it out :( page

melissity is offline Junior Member

Primal for months, can't lose a single pound and can't figure it out :(

Hello there,

I'm new to the forums but not new to eating primal... off sugar and white carbs for 7 years... more recently went off all grains and dairy. Just need a little help with a very stubborn and mysterious weight plateau!

I'm a 5'6.5" healthy, active female BUT I'm a bit overweight--currently 158-160lb. In the past, being *mostly* primal (still ate a lot of dairy--it was a weakness!) worked to EASILY maintain my weight around 145lb. But since having my second child (he's now 18mo), I can't lose the last 10-15lb. For the past 3-4 months, I've been eating and exercising even MORE primally than before: cut out all dairy since February, and finally added Mark's recommended sprints to my primal exercise routine for the past month (avoided it before because I'm not a fan of running, lol). I've had lab work done to check thyroid, blood sugar, etc, and everything is normal, so my doctor and I are both stumped.

I checked Mark's troubleshooting list and can't point to anything. I even cut out all fruit for 2 weeks and still no change on the scale, so I'm eating fruit again--I figure if I'm stuck here, I might as well enjoy it a LITTLE.

Has anyone else had this kind of trouble and worked it out? I'd greatly appreciate any tips!!

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    I don't have any brilliant words of wisdom, but I can tell you that the people who do are going to demand a list of what you're eating on a daily basis and exactly how much/what kinds of exercise you're doing.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    carb refeed and if.

bluebird123 is offline Junior Member
    Any idea what your bodyfat percentage is? It would be good to know what body type you are (naturally muscular?) and yes, a food diary would be helpful. I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions.

melissity is offline Junior Member
    Well, today, for example (fairly typical day):

Breakfast - 2 eggs, 1/4 cup blackberries with small amount of cream (maybe 1/8 cup?)*
    Lunch - big salad (lettuce, tomato, jalapenos, cucumber, shredded carrots, small amount of bacon, olive oil & balsamic vinegar), 1/4 apple
    Dinner - grilled chicken (1 breast), 1 cup roasted zucchini and squash

I've been drinking all water, with the occasional morning coffee.

*The berries with cream was more of a treat today--I usually eat some type of berries plain, OR 1/2 a banana.

Exercise - Primal sprints once a week; walking 30-60min 5 days per week; 20-30 min of strength training twice a week. Honestly, I don't think I can currently commit to much more time than that, between 2 little kids and work... I can change the types of exercise though, if there is tweaking to be done.

I don't know my body fat percentage, but I'd call myself fairly muscular (as opposed to lean). Most people think I weigh 10+lb less than I actually do.

@iniQuity - Tried carb refeeding one Saturday last month and gained 2 lb. But will try IF after I get over the cold I developed this week... thanks.

Thanks for all your replies so far!

Twinwolf is offline Senior Member
    IF may help. Also, unless I read wrong, you're may not be getting enough fat or protein. How many cals does that day make up? What is your TDEE? When plateaus happen, sometimes it's as easy as cycling. Depending on your level of activity you may need more or less. Is your average day similar in food? Maybe try different things, food wise?

ME <---- not an expert to say the least. I just know what things I've experienced. Hope you find something that works!
    "If a man has common sense, he has all the sense there is."

My Journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30234.html

Starting weight prePB - 258 lbs on 5/6/11

244.2 lbs on 6/3/11 (28 days in!)

240 lbs on 7/1/11 (59 days in!)

234.2 on 7/15/11 (73 days in!)

228.2 on 8/12/11 (101 days in!)

224 on 8/28/11 (117 days in!)

220.6 on 9/14/11 (134 days in!)

Goal weight PB - 205 lbs

peril is offline Senior Member
    You must be starving. Definitely more protein, especially fatty meats
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Izzylu is offline Senior Member
    I have stayed the same after eating 7 months primal but I put on a jacket that was tight then and it swallows me now. My advice to you is the same thing I told myself after having a complete and total melt down. Stay off the scale and keep doing what your doing. I wasn't willing to do any more than I already was. I love living and eating this way and if that means I'm 10 pounds over my goal weight then so be it. I'm healthy and happy. The reason I eat primal is to remove the obsessive dieting and it has given me so much relief. Stick with it, focus on the health, stay off the scale. It's amazing how freeing that can be. And yes... eat more fat.
    Strong is the new Skinny!

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Are you breastfeeding? Definitely more protein!!!
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

mozzy10 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    check out this page

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501.html

I think you need more protein every day. Plus a little more fat but don't go nuts. Maybe 2 or 3 fattier meals a week.

Also (just a theroy) maybe because you have had 2 kids your body thinks you are in "child bearing mode" so will want some extra body fat to cope with that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast