Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with a Ham Bone page

musajen is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Okay you cooking geniuses, put on your chef hats and give me some ideas about what I can make with a ham bone. I'm thinking soup of some kind but the only thing I've ever heard that goes with ham in a soup is beans. Clearly, not a winner.

Other ideas/suggestions? Could I just make a broth and use that in various recipes? What would I use that in?

Thanks!

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Mmmmm...ham bone. Of course you can just make some broth and use it with various recipes.

Make sure to boil it low and slow to get all the minerals from that yummy bone.

I think making some sort of cabbage soup would be excellent using ham bone broth.

Ooo, I never thought of cabbage. That sounds great!

maba is offline Senior Member

I made a Thai-style soup last night with Chicken broth. I guess you could do the same with ham-bone broth. Broth + Coconut milk + store bought Thai Red curry paste (I like the Thai Kitchen brand) + whatever veggies you have + whatever protein you have (I used Shrimp) + fish sauce (optional) + cilantro to garnish (optional).

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Alright, I have to mention my experience with fish sauce. Who in the world came up with that one?

I had a big pot of fresh beef bone broth and I decided to make fish soup with coconut milk. A lot of the recipes out there call for fish sauce in fish soup but I never ever tried before. I put 2 tbls in my big pot and I noticed a strange smell right away. Silly me never smelled it out of the bottle before putting it in.

Why would anyone want rotten fish guts in their soup? The final result tasted OK, but the smell was unbearable. I ended up giving the entire pot to my dog (not all at once).

maba, what about fish sauce that you actually like?

maba is offline Senior Member

Choco, I agree fish sauce stinks! Infact, I keep the bottle in a tightly wrapped plastic bag to prevent my pantry from stinking. But in cooked dishes, I love the subtle fishy taste it lends and the saltiness it adds. I guess you could easily substitute it with wheat-free tamari. My husband, like you, doesn't care for it either. So I add just a teeny bit to my soups. If only I were to eat it, I'd add more.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Oh, borscht, definitely borscht.

Brown lots of chopped onions in bacon grease, add chopped garlic at the end, then any kind of broth you have. Put in the ham bone, add chopped carrots, celery, and peeled, chopped beets. Some dill, bay leaves, and a dash or two of smoke flavoring, lots of black pepper. Simmer for hours and hours, checking the broth level once in a while. At the end, I usually add shredded cabbage and simmer for another 15 minutes, serve with full-fat sour cream.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Just want to share a memory.

Many years ago my gf and I were camping east of Palmdale, CA in the Mojave. On the way home, we passed through this tiny community of blacks out there, and one had garden produce for sale on the roadside. I bought a couple of grocery sacks of fresh black eyed peas in the shells for a few dollars.

Back home, Sue had a big ham bone; we shucked the peas, and made soup.

I tell ya, the dried or reconstituted peas ain't nuttin' like fresh!

On a suggestive note, how about lentils? Mark give them an OK grade. Sensible indulgence?

DebFM is offline Senior Member

Maybe cook a wamba pot of greens (collards or kale would be good) with the ham bone in it? Fresh green beans would be good cooked with it, too.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! OTB - I've considered trying lentils but would like to try fully primal options first. Lentils will be a last resort.

This may be a stupid question but I've never made my own broth before...do I need to poke holes in the bone to make the marrow more accessible? And how long do I let it cook? All day? 24 hours? Like I said, newbie broth maker here. Thanks again everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast