Thread: Pulled Hip Flexor page

Arikara6 is offline Senior Member

Pulled Hip Flexor

Shop Now
    A little embarassing...

I was doing REALLY good squats last Friday, and on my 5th set, while I was down towards the bottom, I heard a "CRACK," felt a good chunk of pain, and had to jettison the weight (thank God for bumper plates).

After I got over the pain, and the embarassment of everyone in the gym laughing at me (they thought I slipped), I managed to limp home. For the past few days, it's hurt to stand up and sit down, I can't sleep on that side, and lifting the leg hurts. Not bad - I know I didn't break anything - it's pulled muscle type hurt.

Anyone got a good tip to make this go away? I'm sick of having to get assistance to get on and off the toilet. Thanks!

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Uhh... The obvious thing to do would be to see a doctor...
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    I did something similar on a leg press a few months back. Shuffled like an old man for a couple weeks, started to panic that the pain wasn't getting any better, then it started to improve. 6 weeks after I did it, hardly noticeable. Unbelieveably painful at the time though.

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    You have to do some self-physical-therapy... Which means a few times a day, stretch. I've overworked my hip flexor a few times and what helps most is to find a low bench, put your lower back over the bench, and lean all the way back. Do it twice more, each time with a higher part of your back on the bench. I would also recommend carefully stretching in a lunge position.

I'd be a bit concerned about the "crack" you heard, though. It could be that you actually tore something, rather than just pulled it.

@Velocity & Secret Lobster - yeah, I'm trying to wait it out before I go see a Doctor. I genuinely just think it's a muscle pull, I've broken things before, it's not that kind of hurt really. Besides, all the PA is going to tell me is "take 2 Ranger candy, and talk to me in 6 weeks if it still hurts." Army medicine. I can do that myself.

@Racingsnake - glad to hear it progressively got better. This SUCKS. I was on quite the tear in the gym - it sucks getting derailed like this.

Ranger candy = ibuprofen by the way.

Appreciate your replies. Thanks!

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by secretlobster View Post
    You have to do some self-physical-therapy... Which means a few times a day, stretch. I've overworked my hip flexor a few times and what helps most is to find a low bench, put your lower back over the bench, and lean all the way back. Do it twice more, each time with a higher part of your back on the bench. I would also recommend carefully stretching in a lunge position.

I'd be a bit concerned about the "crack" you heard, though. It could be that you actually tore something, rather than just pulled it.
    There's some evidence that more repetitions, shorter duration can be more beneficial; basically repeatedly shortening and lengthening the muscle is itself therapeutic and aids recovery as long as you're taking care of it and not stressing it. See Pain-free ROM, Mobilizing, and Pain & Injury Survival Tips

Andrea, I appreciate it! Thanks!

Dalton is offline Senior Member
    Find some of the small paper cups, fill them with water and freeze them. Peel back some of the paper and rub the ice on the hip flexor (make sure you have a towel under your ass).

The above will work wonders...trust me on this.