Thread: overtraining and fat loss? page

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member

overtraining and fat loss?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi there, new to the forums, really enjoying the info and commentary.
    Got a question for the court.
    I have been losing weight and building muscle for the past few months via a fairly primal approach to exercise (lots of HIIT bodyweight and sprint workouts) and nutrition (very little carb with the exception of straight veggies, no fear of sat fat, plenty protein, net calorie deficit). I'm 12 pounds down and totally psyched to feel and see my body composition improving. However, over the past couple weeks I'm pretty sure I've hit an overtraining wall--I'm suddenly sluggish, not totally psyched to work out multiple times a day like I was last month, can't push the envelope in my workouts like I usually can, and sometimes have to stop working out for hypotensive lightheadedness. So, fine--I will take a week off working out (with the exception of maybe a super gentle mile of barefoot running daily). My question is, what should I do on the diet side during that week? I want to make sure I recover properly, maximize my muscle development, and not accidentally fatten up! Anyone have recommendations on the macronutrient proportions and whether I should be shooting for a deficit or a surplus?

Sorry for the blonde question by the way. I think 29 years of Western nutrition has blitzed my "you need this" and "be hungry now" or "you are not hungry now" sensors, and I'm working on recalibration!

otzi Guest
    If you've been reading these forums, you already know the answer...you just need a hug. Try upping your carbs, upping your protein, upping your fat, lowering carbs, carb cycling, IF'ing, less cardio, more LHT, less LHT, more rest, less rest, read the PB 101 articles, track your calories, don't track your calories...did I forget anything? Oh, yeah - post your daily menus for the last 60 days so we can pick it apart.

Sorry - we've all been there. It gets frustrating. You just have to keep at it. PB does work great if you look at it as a way to make really healthy eating choices and smart workouts that will get your body in balance so you can lose, gain, or just maintain.

Good luck!

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    If you've been reading these forums, you already know the answer...you just need a hug. Try upping your carbs, upping your protein, upping your fat, lowering carbs, carb cycling, IF'ing, less cardio, more LHT, less LHT, more rest, less rest, read the PB 101 articles, track your calories, don't track your calories...did I forget anything? Oh, yeah - post your daily menus for the last 60 days so we can pick it apart.
    Thanks but... this is already what I do in the long term. I'm wondering if anyone else has more specific opinions for my short term, one-week situation! My normal approach is low carb, high veg, high protein, 2x workouts a day of either HIIT, lower interval training, or strength training, done in a calorie deficit, with maybe 3 x 24 hour IF runs a month plus a few IF days of about 18 hours.

Should recovery be done in a calorie surplus or calorie deficit, and is IF advisable during a short one-week period intended to undo overtraining damage?

Thor Falk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananabonobo View Post
    Thanks but... this is already what I do in the long term. I'm wondering if anyone else has more specific opinions for my short term, one-week situation! My normal approach is low carb, high veg, high protein, 2x workouts a day of either HIIT, lower interval training, or strength training, done in a calorie deficit, with maybe 3 x 24 hour IF runs a month plus a few IF days of about 18 hours.

Should recovery be done in a calorie surplus or calorie deficit, and is IF advisable during a short one-week period intended to undo overtraining damage?
    Difficult to say. I started out like you maybe a year ago, and I did take off a week from time to time, but it did catch up with me eventually. So I decided to take the month of May off, doing nothing but mobility work. MobilityWOD – Key Exercises | Thor Falk. Also found that for me low carbs and lifting / HIIT dont go together - need at least 150g/day when i a, training.

I would up the calories and carbs (maybe follow some Zone 40/30/30 protocol) on a level where i'd not regain weight.