Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just getting started but very excited!!! page

motivated is offline Junior Member

Just getting started but very excited!!!

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys, I've been reading and doing PB for the last 7 days. I feel great with a little fog at times and some headaches that are not bad at all. I definitely have more energy and don't feel wrecked after lunch anymore.

A little background. I'm a 38 year old male without any known health problems. However, my BP has been creeping up in the last few years and I have to be at least moderately insulin resistant going by the way I crash after meals and how I can gain fat in no time. I'm 5'6" and have reached 229 lbs at my heaviest. I started PB on 5/11/11 at 225 and have lost 6 lbs so far. I had one cheat meal (an anniversary dinner that had been planned for weeks) but very little other deviations from meat, vegetables, fruits and nuts. I allowed myself a lot of fruits the first 3-4 days to satisfy my sweet tooth but have now stopped eating fruit very often. I also ate a lot of nuts in the beginning but have cut them back to an occasional snack.

I love having the freedom to eat when I'm hungry and being able to skip a meal if I'm not (haven't skipped any meals yet though). I feel much better and have started slow with some walking, pushups and air squats. I'm going to start the simplefit program tonight and see how it goes. My goal is of course to cut out all the processed junk that I've been eating for all these years. I want to be a better example for my kids, my wife and my patients so I can actually back up what I say when I tell them grains and processed carbs are detrimental to our health. My father is type II diabetic and hypertensive and hyperlipid and arthritic, etc, etc, etc and he was in much better shape than me when he was my age. But I see the toll his poor diet has taken on him and I want to change my health and life before it is too late.

So my diet is now clean, exercise is slowly gaining some steam and positive changes are coming each day. I'm also taking a multivit, fish oil, and VitD which I've never done before with any consistency. I know this is a way of life and not a diet so I'm in it for the long haul. I won't be a flash in the pan PBer.

Goal weight is somewhere in the range of 160-170 depending on muscularity. Thanks for all your help and for those of you that posted before and after pics, an extra thank you for motivating me.

God Bless,
    Motivated
    Primal Reboot 2/09/12

Starting weight 225 2/09/2012
    1st Mini Goal Weight 199 ?/?/2012
    2nd Mini Goal Weight 180 ?/?/2012
    Final Goal Weight 165 ?/?/????

John 3:16; Phillipians 4:13; James 4:14

Hi i just started 3 days ago. Sounds like you also have the carb flu. Strange feeling in the head but my energy level is really good. I have to work on eating more fat. How is it going for you eating wise?

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    Hello and welcome from a fellow newbie-ish. My sister (diabetic, obese, stroke at age 58) is a huge motivator in my desire to change my future. You say "patients"...are you a health care provider? I 'm a PA.

My energy after lunch and in the evening is 100+% higher now without the afternoon Twix bar under my belt. :-)

Keep up the good work! It sounds like you have a great attitude and determination.
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

Welcome Motivated. I started 5 weeks ago, so I'm kinda a newbie as well. You sound like you have a good mindset about all of this. Keep it up and it will pay off!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Motivated. Sounds like you are off to a good start. Good luck.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

motivated is offline Junior Member
    Thanks to all of you for the encouragement. Yes, I am determined which resulted in my moniker for this site. I have to do something and this looks like the best way to do it.

Caveman Mark: I'm just eating clean as much as possible. Fruit and nuts are limited but I have both every day at some point. I really enjoy beef more than any other food and have it at least once a day. Other than that slight fog and mild h/a on occasion, I feel fantastic and more energetic.

TheDarkMistress: I love PAs! I'm actually a chiropractor but I work in a walk-in clinic with a DO and an MD. We have a PA in town and from what I've heard she is sharp as a tack. NPs and PAs seem to be making great strides in the patient confidence arena. I still get some strange looks when I tell people what I do for a living but I help a lot of people with back pain, neck pain, cervicogenic headaches and radicular symptoms. I think chiros primarily get a bad rep b/c we have some that think they are curing cancer, asthma, diverticulitis and heart disease with a manipulation. Manipulation is a good tool for musculoskeletal problems and a few other things. Chiropractic is not an easy business with declining reimbursements and a glut of hungry young chiropractors. I know many that have left the profession and I know a few that went straight to PA school and have new careers as a PA.

Thanks again everyone. Best of luck on your primal journey.
    Primal Reboot 2/09/12

Starting weight 225 2/09/2012
    1st Mini Goal Weight 199 ?/?/2012
    2nd Mini Goal Weight 180 ?/?/2012
    Final Goal Weight 165 ?/?/????

John 3:16; Phillipians 4:13; James 4:14

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by motivated View Post
    I still get some strange looks when I tell people what I do for a living but I help a lot of people with back pain, neck pain, cervicogenic headaches and radicular symptoms. I think chiros primarily get a bad rep b/c we have some that think they are curing cancer, asthma, diverticulitis and heart disease with a manipulation. Manipulation is a good tool for musculoskeletal problems and a few other things.
    I agree that chiropractic manipulation has a strong place in pain management. "Traditional medicine" sure can't help those complaints much, in my opinion. Surgery and pills are about all we have to offer, both of which are to be avoided at all costs in my book.

Here's to us health care professionals looking and being healthy!
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Best "physician" I ever had was a PA. Well, actually, I have had great "physicians" who were chiropractors.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Sloshed is offline Junior Member
    Good to hear it motivated. Similar story. Just getting started in the Primal lifestyle as of two days ago. Curious how it will hit my system. I am trying to change up my proteins everyday. Eggs and almonds most days. But alternating between beef (I can't get grass-fed where I am), chicken, and fish (tuna/salmon). I need to work out the best way to get the fats I need. Been doing a smoothie every other day for breakfast, with the other day having a big plate of scrambled eggs.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    An easy way to get some fats into your diet is to have a vinagrette with olive oil on your big ass salad, and throw half an avocado in there for good measure. Canned salmon (with the bones and skin mashed in ... especially sockeye! yum) is a good way to get Omega 3 fatty acids into your diet.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast