Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D for the win! page

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

I've now seen three mainstream articles touting the importance of vitamin D in our life...

Lack of vitamin D is risk for depression, heart disease:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/11/16/moh.healthmag.vitamind.heart.depression/index.html

H1N1 linked to vitamin D deficiency:

http://thebulletin.us/articles/2009/11/15/top_stories/doc4b004bbeeeca0983629489.txt

Vitamin D and athletic endurance:

http://running.competitor.com/2009/1...-exercise_6776

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

There's a big vitamin D movement up here where I live. I asked our local health food store guy about Vitamin D and he assured me that the companies he deals with are going to be introducing a 5000iu tablet very soon.

I grok, therefore I am.

I've been partial to the Carlson's D Drops as of late. I just put them in my glass of water each morning and drink. I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to swallowing pills

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

I can understand that. The ones that I take have very little lubricant on them so they get real chalky real fast if I have problems getting them down. blech.

I grok, therefore I am.

grandma is offline Member

I have read on the "heartscan blog" that the tablet forms of Vit D are not as effective as the oil based ones. If you believe Dr. Davis, you should be taking D3 in oil form:

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...in-d-form.html

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

rarrrrr Guest

What are some good whole foods sources of vitamin D? Iíve been eating quite a bit of shrimp as well as sitting and reading by my south facing window when I can.

ahhgrr is offline Junior Member

Good food sources? Oily fish. Still not even remotely close to sitting in the sun for 20 minutes, though.

Sun, sun, sun.

If you're working on getting your levels up, supplement (or if you're working to support the immune system) - I like the Solar D Gems from Carlson: 4000IU/ea plus some fish oil in the mix. 2-3 a day, 4 if I feel sniffly or cold-like stuff.

But best, cheapest, and easiest? SUN.

soror is offline Senior Member

The problem is relying strictly on the sun this time of year depending on your lattitude(and also your ethnic heritage) you may not be able to get enough. Plus, you need to have a good amount of skin exposed as well. I take fermented cod liver oil- as it has a balance of A and D and is naturally occuring vitamins.

Mama to 4, wife to my love

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

I always wonder if these one hit wonders will ever end. People here embrace vitamin D and its' benefits, but also pay attention to a healthy lifestyle. The average person out there buying a vitamin D tablet is seeing so many benefits partly due to placebo and partly due to its' the only healthy thing they're actually doing.

If they only knew that you could wake up every morning feeling better then great, and stay that way the rest of the day until you fell into a deep sleep only to wake up to the same thing.

Just venting I guess, if you're gonna tell people to take D then maybe tell them a few other things too.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Right, but raising awareness that deficiencies can cause serious health problems is a start.

Understood about getting D through natural sunlight but this isn't always possible for those of us who live in dreary, wintery conditions. I'll take the sun when I can get it. Otherwise, I rely on supplementation and whole food sources (wild salmon).

I tried indoor tanning for a while but that just led to my skin looking something like Leatherface.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast