Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pink skin... page

VeggieBoy is offline Member

Pink skin...

Since giving up my vegetarian ways and adopting a primal diet my skin has gotten a lot more pink than it used to be. I think I look good but my friends who are still vegetarian warn me that this is a sign of poor health and want me to go back to being vegetarian. Personally, I think that is a bunch of crap. Especially when you consider that most of my vegetarian friends have kind of a gray/green skin thing going on which regardless of how you cut it, just can't be healthy. If you don't mind me asking... what do you think?

nocturnalmama is offline Senior Member
    I'd rather be pink than grey/green... yikes!! You could also "brown" up in the sun... nothing like natural vit d.
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Color in the skin could be due to increased bloodflow or increased carotenoid content in the skin. Carotenoids are what give carrots, squashes etc their color. In the absence of true vit. A in the diet (retinol) the body has to convert carotenoids into retinol, a process that is very inefficient in most people and simply impossible in some.

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieBoy View Post
    Since giving up my vegetarian ways and adopting a primal diet my skin has gotten a lot more pink than it used to be. I think I look good but my friends who are still vegetarian warn me that this is a sign of poor health and want me to go back to being vegetarian. Personally, I think that is a bunch of crap. Especially when you consider that most of my vegetarian friends have kind of a gray/green skin thing going on which regardless of how you cut it, just can't be healthy. If you don't mind me asking... what do you think?
    This just in: vegetarians find health to be a sign of poor health!

Pink most likely means better blood flow to the skin, which is probably due to a combination of lower systemic inflammation and eating a nutritious enough diet that your body can heat itself and maintain peripheral circulation.

(There is a limit, of course: if you look sunburned I'd start looking around for causes.)

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaReina View Post
    Color in the skin could be due to increased bloodflow or increased carotenoid content in the skin.
    That's what I thought also. Doesn't pink skin mean that you're actually getting better blood flow to the skin?

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Mine changed to a more pink color too. Before it was more pale and a bit yellow. I went low carb and got adrenal issues addressed at the same time. Yellowish or darker skin is a known side effect of adrenal problems (Addison's).

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Uh...means you're getting healthier. Slap your friends so they can get some colour in their faces
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nion View Post
    Uh...means you're getting healthier. Slap your friends so they can get some colour in their faces
    A true application of your sigline. Which I love by the way

LOL.....

I like the idea of smacking them in the face so they get the same rosie color.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is so interesting to read. I also have gotten more "pink" since going Primal (about 7 mos now). I actually never thought much of it but my husband noticed and commented.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast