Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: if you're not losing weight page

patchooli is offline Member

if you're not losing weight

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i just wanted to take a minute to start a weight loss advice consolidation thread. i've noticed a lot of threads with people asking for help. i'm new here so you don't know much about me. i have many health issues that interfere with weight loss and have been struggling with my weight for most of my life. i also have celiac disease and went 100% gluten free 8-9 years ago.

i've only lost a pound or two in the last 2.5 months. if i were focused on the scale, as i see some people focusing on, i would be really discouraged (i'm a little disappointed, but it's not unexpected). but, i am looking for progress, not poundage. i feel a bit better, it's a lot easier to control my cravings, i've been able to give up grains and sugar and am okay with that, the visits from my aunt flo have gotten more regular...etc...

the most interesting changes for me were just noticed the day before yesterday. my belly has gotten smaller, my legs have gotten more muscular, and i actually have the beginnings of bicep muscles. now, let me be clear, i'm not weight training and my ability to exercise is limited. i believe this is entirely due to diet.

the point i'm making is that if you look at this as a crash diet, you will probably be disappointed with your results. if you look at it as either a permanent or a long term change to your eating habits, you have a lot more emotional flexibility and can pay closer attention to the positive changes in your life and body.

if you're really having trouble, take some time to find a good doctor to run some basic metabolic tests: thyroid, adrenals, reproductive...etc... you might have a problem that needs addressing. also make sure you're not deficient in any vitamins. cravings can result from deficiencies.

cinnamon and apple cider vinegar can be helpful in the weight loss battle, too.

there's my weight loss on primal advice, what's yours?

patchooli is offline Member
    another thread made me think of this...

you can also take your basal body temp every morning. for women, this will show you how well you're ovulating and might give you a better picture of your hormonal health.

for both, a low basal body temp might indicate thyroid issues. not all docs believe in this, but some forward thinking docs do.

if you find abnormalities, possible underlying problems might be interfering with your weight loss.

finngirl71 is offline Member
    I like this, patchooli. Weight loss/weight control is so individualized and can be such a long road. I've dropped 12 of the 25lbs I need to lose, but what I've noticed more is that I can see my muscles. I work out 3x a week, but had for 14 mos before I started Primal, and saw minimal improvement. It was like "oh, look at that, with the proper lighting and shadows, I have a small cut in my arm!". Now, I see it without flexing, in every day lighting The other wonderful benefit is that with 12 smalllllllll pounds, I have pants that I pull off without unbuttoning! I'm paying more attention to inches rather than weight, and it is so freeing. I still weigh, but the tape measure is my ultimate gauge as to how I'm doing.

I'm 40 and have some hormonal shiz going on, but it appears that this way of life has fixed it. Like you, I can get past the cravings and it doesn't even bother me anymore. I haven't had wheat in months, and last weekend I tried some fried calamari while out with friends because I thought I could handle it. I was awake all night because my stomach felt like I had 20 knives in it. Fun! Learned my lesson there.

Anyway, I am looking forward to many more positive changes in myself.... and wanting to see other people post their awesome changes from Primal living.

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    love this thread!
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

tanyayogi is offline Senior Member
    Buenos Aires until I start at NYU in the fall!
    Great idea
    I'm stuck at my starting weight but I only started 1 month ago, have had lots of exam-anxiety induced carb fests and derailments.
    I do feel better and stronger and when I did stick to Primal I lost 2 lbs in one week and I could see the difference so this is a long-term commitment for me. I'm throwin out my scale, using tape + clothes to measure.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Good thread. I started 8 weeks ago. Lost 7 lbs in the first two weeks, 1 lb in the next two weeks, and nothing since then. I dug up Mark's article on 17 reasons why you're not losing weight and incorporated 16/8 IF, sleeping 8 hours a day and started doing Tabata sprints on a stationary bike. Still nothing, although I've only been doing the sprints for a week so might be too early.

I'm not too frustrated though. I am definitely thinner. I can see it in the mirror, everybody is commenting on it and last week I had to go shopping because pretty much every single pair of pants and shorts I owned was falling off my ass. I just don't understand HOW I'm getting thinner If I'm not losing weight but I am getting thinner that must mean I am building muscle, right? I'm only doing the PBF LHT workout twice a week though - knee pushups, elevated jack knife presses, air squats. And I walk 30 min most days. Can that much exercise really be building pounds and pounds of muscle?

I think the best primal weight loss advice is to go shopping When you fit into lower-sized pants, it's a huge motivation. Although I must say the lack of weight loss doesn't discourage me. I love this way of eating and exercising and will continue doing it cos it makes me feel good and I get to eat delicious foods. Might have to tinker with things to kick start some more weight loss though. I still have fat to lose - my goal weight (although maybe it's not really a good idea to set a goal weight since that doesn't take into account muscle development) is 115 lb and I am at 125 lb right now (I'm 5'1). My next round of tinkering is going to be carb refeeds. I'll experiment with that for a month and if that doesn't work, I'll stop that and drop dairy. I only eat 1-2 oz of cheese on most days and some Greek yogurt 3-4 days a week so I really don't think dairy is the key but we'll see.

croí is offline Senior Member
    Great motivation thread!

beaver is offline Senior Member
    good Thread. I had lost 20 lbs in 2 1/2 months. Then the past 6 weeks I have lost 1 lb. I was getting pretty ticked off until I looked at my spreadsheet. I have kept a spreadsheet journal of workouts, eatings, fasts, weight, and waist measurements. Also notes on any nagging injuries, vacations, etc. When I looked back on the last 6 weeks, I had gone from crossfit workouts to more of a starting strength type workouts. My weight may not have changed, but I am down 2 waist sizes in that time. Sometimes, it helps to look at other things and keep journals.
    RLTW

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    I'm only doing the PBF LHT workout twice a week though - knee pushups, elevated jack knife presses, air squats. And I walk 30 min most days. Can that much exercise really be building pounds and pounds of muscle?
    Your body is actually partitioning the nutrients correctly. So, even though you are not going excessive on the LHT, your body is sending the nutrients to where you need them (muscle) as opposed to where you don't want it (fat).

I gained 8 lbs the first 4 months or so and have lost that in the last 2 months. So, via the scale, I am back where I started. However, I am now in size 32 waist pants (where I haven't been for about 12 years), I am getting much more vascular on my arms and legs and my abs are TRYING to get through. So, even though the number is the same (203lbs) I have seen dramatic results in the mirror.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

bookstorecowboy is offline Senior Member
    One thing I have learned from various weight loss regimens over the years is to use a belt and count the notches instead of using a scale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast