Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plaque reversal? page

mwok86 is offline Senior Member

Plaque reversal?

Shop Now
    Since most of us have been paleo only till recently, there is probably some plaque build up. Can this way of eating reverse the existing plaque buildup? How would the body get rid of this plaque?

I remember Dean Ornish stating that on his low-fat diet, they actually saw a reverse in plaque buildup when they did arterial scans.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    I've heard of decay and and enamel loss improving/healing with a weston price type diet. I would have a hard time believe that existing plaque would go away, but I would believe that after a good cleaning that paleo, especially a low fruit paleo would keep your teeth really clean. I find I need to remind myself to brush my teeth now because they don't every feel dirty or give me bad breath.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Are you talking about plaque build up in arteries or on teeth?

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    LOL, oops!

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member
    I think he means arterial plaque?

I hope it can be reversed. My dh had to get some stents in last year. Followed by me panicking and us going on a low fat, low sodium, almost vegan diet. This way of eating is SO much yummier and his BP and blood sugar have already gone down. He's on meds too, but it's interesting to note that he's only been eating primal for a few weeks and the numbers are going down lower than they were on the low fat, almost vegan diet (I've added some salt back in but he's still pretty low sodium compared to a SAD). He's exercising the same too, that hasn't changed.

Whether this diet will actually reverse plaque or just prevent any new from forming I don't know. Time will tell I guess.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonCC View Post
    I think he means arterial plaque?

I hope it can be reversed. My dh had to get some stents in last year. Followed by me panicking and us going on a low fat, low sodium, almost vegan diet. This way of eating is SO much yummier and his BP and blood sugar have already gone down. He's on meds too, but it's interesting to note that he's only been eating primal for a few weeks and the numbers are going down lower than they were on the low fat, almost vegan diet (I've added some salt back in but he's still pretty low sodium compared to a SAD). He's exercising the same too, that hasn't changed.

Whether this diet will actually reverse plaque or just prevent any new from forming I don't know. Time will tell I guess.
    That's what I thought, but...PaleoMom's response brings up another interesting question....although, plaque on teeth is realitively easy to remove with brushing, but what about tartar?

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member
    If it helps teeth I'm all for that too My entire family has "weak enamel". We also all have digestive issues . . . . Coincidence? Somehow I doubt it.

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwok86 View Post
    I remember Dean Ornish stating that on his low-fat diet, they actually saw a reverse in plaque buildup when they did arterial scans.
    Actually, Ornish did several interventions besides a low-fat diet and didn't control for the other variables.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Dr William Davis is a cardiologist who has had success with reversing arterial plaque through fish oil and low-carb eating. There are success stories in there, but he's changed the layout/design of the blog a little so I can't find them right now.

jaysond is offline Senior Member
    i found this on line

Walking while drinking hot water and getting CARDIOVASCULAR exercise WILL reduce the PLAQUE build-up that is inside of your body over time. Teas may help but it may not be as good for your kidneys or the rest of your body as the Dr says it may be. Just drink cooked-on-the-stove warm water and walk. It will turn the plaque to sludge, which will eventually return back to the lungs or go somewhere else and leave your body

Read more: Answers.com - Is drinking hot water good for you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast