Thread: The Morning Dialogue page

ennasirk is offline Senior Member

The Morning Dialogue

Shop Now
    I always tell people that I work out in the mornings because there's MUCH less time to talk myself out of working out. Most days I get up within one snooze of the alarm, but today was a tough one.

Here's the dialogue this morning between the angel and the devil on my shoulders as I lay in bed until 5:58 for a 6:15 boot camp class (that takes 10 minutes to get to):

Devil: So what if you don't get up?

Angel: You won't feel as good.

Devil: But you don't feel really good right now.

Angel: Yes, but exercise always gives you more energy for the day.

Devil: But bed is so warm and cozy.

Angel: Yes, but boot camp is good for you.

Devil: But maybe you're more tired than normal because you're taking antibiotics.

Angel: You did fine working out yesterday, so that antibiotic excuse is a weak one.

Devil: You could always go to evening boot camp.

Angel: You hate working out in the evenings, and besides, you probably have family coming over tonight.

Devil: Oh, right. Well, you could just skip the workout altogether. Is that the end of the world?

Angel: No, but I'm getting my ass out of bed anyway.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    I find I workout most often right after work, before I start prepping dinner. It just doesn't happen in the morning (not a morning person) and after dinner I start relaxing and vegging and doing housework until bedtime.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I find I workout most often right after work, before I start prepping dinner. It just doesn't happen in the morning (not a morning person) and after dinner I start relaxing and vegging and doing housework until bedtime.
    Yeah, we definitely have to find the time that works for our bodies/lifestyles. It took me a long time to get there, but I've turned into a morning person and learned to love the intense morning workout. Afternoons/evenings I'll do something less intense like a walk (that's a common time for me to stroll down to the stores, which are about 1/2 mile away).
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ennasirk View Post
    Yeah, we definitely have to find the time that works for our bodies/lifestyles. It took me a long time to get there, but I've turned into a morning person and learned to love the intense morning workout. Afternoons/evenings I'll do something less intense like a walk (that's a common time for me to stroll down to the stores, which are about 1/2 mile away).
    No joke. If I knew that getting my butt out of bed meant I was going to work out, it wouldn't happen.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    nice. but angels don't say 'ass'

i workout better in the afternoon, but i do love the occasional morning workout. and, the only way i can get myself out of bed early on a weekend is when i know i'm going out on a hike or something. but i think if it were daily, the devil would win that argument with me.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    nice. but angels don't say 'ass'

i workout better in the afternoon, but i do love the occasional morning workout. and, the only way i can get myself out of bed early on a weekend is when i know i'm going out on a hike or something. but i think if it were daily, the devil would win that argument with me.
    Mine does . I think I've got the twins of those angels, that's how it goes for me some mornings.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    No joke. If I knew that getting my butt out of bed meant I was going to work out, it wouldn't happen.
    +1
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

The devil won that argument for me for years till I 1) found morning stuff that I really enjoy (I actually have fun at the classes I do in the mornings) and 2) I turned the "reason to work out" on its head - if it were just about exercise being "good for me" in general, the devil would still win. But when I tried mornings for a while and realized how much better I feel all day (more energy, less stress, less anxiety, etc.) when I do work out ... that's what gets me up in the mornings - it's the instant gratification thing, not the long-term benefit thing that works as a motivator for me (though of course the long-term benefits are great, too). Sometimes (like this morning) I have to remind myself of that.

My primal log

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    i prefer to workout in the morning, but the earlier i wake up, the earlier my kids get up. so if i want to workout by myself i have to wait until they're asleep.

jamesjohn is offline Junior Member
    Learn More
    It happens to me every morning that, i can get up early but i would too lazy to get out of bed and proceed for my workout, but once i start working out then it is ok and wouldn't feel lazy. Just need to kick start.