Thread: A little primal puzzle- blood sugar crashes and carb foods page

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member

A little primal puzzle- blood sugar crashes and carb foods

Primal Fuel
    So I already know gluten sends my blood sugar crazy, I lived with that to 3 years and it was dreadful!

Since going primal last August I have discovered that my blood sugar is stable if I eat primally. Quite a blessing, it even enabled me to take a job that means working through lunchtime, which I couldn't have done before.

I have also discovered that if I eat a primal meal with the addition of a small amount of brown rice, kidney beans or even half a sweet potato, I will have a blood sugar crash 2-3 hours later. The same primal meal without the carb, I can go at least 4-5 hours without eating and my hunger when I do need to is normal, not an emergency. All as expected.

But how come if I eat something sugary (chocolate, ice cream etc) with a meal, my blood sugar is still steady? Clearly it's not just about carb intake.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    By blood sugar crash, do you mean you have tested, or that your energy is crashing?

I wonder if you are addicted to the icecream and chocolate and the normal energy crash you would get from the carbs is offset by a big endorphin rush from the chocolate or icecream.

Just a thought, anyways.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

jaysond is offline Senior Member
    i dont know if its true but i heard that if you eat sugar with protein it will not affect your blood sugar the same way without the protein. when this happens do your meals have protein?

All my meals have at least 35g of protein, veggies and a good amount of healthy fats.

It's not an energy crash as in feeling tired, it's a blood sugar crash- as in starving hungry, racing heart, lightheaded, nauseous, irritable, can't think straight, and alleviated by eating. I've been dealing with blood sugar issues all my life and I'm very familiar with that feeling (unfortunately!).

It's not an endorphin rush from the sugar, that would have worn off long before 4 or 5 hours after I ate it. Also, if I ate grains and sugar with a meal, I still get the blood sugar crash, it's the presence or absence of grains that makes the difference, not the presence or absence of sugar. The reason I mentioned it doesn't happen with sugar is because it shows it's not just about carb intake and I'm interested to consider what could be going on.

My blood sugar was crazy when I was ill from gluten, and became significantly more stable within days of my cutting gluten, so it doesn't seem too far fetched to suggest other grains etc might have a smiliar but lesser effect. Cutting non-gluten grains has had other benefits such as curing shoulder pain I'd had for about 7 years, so I clearly react to them too. It seems the reaction somehow causes my blood sugar to crash.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat starchy carbs very often, so no comparison, but I definitely do not have sugar crashes when I eat chocolate or ice cream with my meals--as long as my sugar intake is < 20 gms per meal.

Ray Peat has some thoughts about the benefits of eating sucrose over starch here:
    http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/glycemia.shtml

An excerpt:
    Starch and glucose efficiently stimulate insulin secretion, and that accelerates the disposition of glucose, activating its conversion to glycogen and fat, as well as its oxidation. Fructose inhibits the stimulation of insulin by glucose, so this means that eating ordinary sugar, sucrose (a disaccharide, consisting of glucose and fructose), in place of starch, will reduce the tendency to store fat. Eating “complex carbohydrates,” rather than sugars, is a reasonable way to promote obesity. Eating starch, by increasing insulin and lowering the blood sugar, stimulates the appetite, causing a person to eat more, so the effect on fat production becomes much larger than when equal amounts of sugar and starch are eaten. The obesity itself then becomes an additional physiological factor; the fat cells create something analogous to an inflammatory state. There isn't anything wrong with a high carbohydrate diet, and even a high starch diet isn't necessarily incompatible with good health, but when better foods are available they should be used instead of starches. For example, fruits have many advantages over grains, besides the difference between sugar and starch. Bread and pasta consumption are strongly associated with the occurrence of diabetes, fruit consumption has a strong inverse association.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 05-18-2011 at 10:48 AM.

That's really interesting, and kind of the opposite of what I've heard before (starch better as it's all glucose, sucrose bad as it's got fructose). Mind you when I eat sugar it's sometimes a lot more than the starch portions I've experimented with (whole 170g bag of M&Ms, versus half a sweet potato).

In fact even sugar eaten apart from meals doesn't mess with my blood sugar as much as half a sweet potato eaten with a protein, veg and fats meal!

It's been quite strange for me, for so long I've seen sugar as the ultimate enemy and yet now I find starches affect me more badly. No wonder I couldn't get steady on Radiant Recovery where "more browns" was always the suggestion for hunger issues!

Harold Whitman

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Interesting. I eat loads of starch (potatoes + sweet potatoes) post-workout and I've been getting leaner, if anything, so I'm not sure I buy the "starch makes you fat" argument. Also, my blood glucose stays below 100 post-prandial. Who knows, maybe I'd do better getting my carbs from sucrose vs glucose.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well it sounds like starches are definitely not working for you - I would personally stay away from them if they do not work so well, even if you do not know exactly why. Have you been tested for Hypoglycemia?
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html