Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cholesterol is not bad...right?? page

Cholesterol is not bad...right??

Shop Now
    I am a 31 yo male. 6'1" 185 lbs. Roughly 10-11% BF. Overall good health. I started Primal for Lent, so I have been eating this way for ~3 months. My lipid numbers from this week..... Total cholesterol 269. LDL 204. HDL 52. VLDL 13. Triglycerides 60. The last test I had was in 2005 and my total cholesterol was 175. My next step is to get a VAP test and see what type of LDL I have. Should I be concerned about such a jump in cholesterol?

ciep is offline Senior Member
    How much has your diet changed since going primal? Have you been eating a lot more fat than usual? What about sugar/carb consumption, what's going on with that? All of those factors will play into your lipid profile.

Don't concern yourself too much with the jump in total cholesterol. A measure of 269 for total isn't necessarily a bad thing at all.

You might want to work on your ratios a bit though:

Your TotalC/HDL and your LDL/HDL ratios are both near the upper limits for what's considered healthy (going by Griff's cholesterol primer). Either raising HDL, lowering LDL, or doing both would make those ratios a bit more ideal.

Still, I feel like you need to get your VAP results to have a clear picture and really decide what to do. The numbers will be more accurate, and you'll know your pattern of LDL. Will you be getting the VAP test soon?

I have completely dropped grains from my diet, except for Easter and one birthday party where I had some cake. I rarely ate sweets before, and I never do now (except for those 2 occasions). I have really upped my fat intake. I use a lot of coconut oil, bacon grease, ghee/butter and olive oil. I try to get 50-70% of daily calories from fat. I used to eat oatmeal for breakfast, but now it's usually a 4-5 egg omelet with veggies. BAS for lunch, spinach and tons of chopped veggies topped with tuna, steak, chicken, etc. Meat and veggies for supper. Occasional dark chocolate (85 or 90%).

I am planning on asking for the VAP test when I visit my doctor on Monday.

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    I've heard that in the first few months after changing to a lower carb/whole foods diet, your liver cleans itself out and dumps a bunch of cholesterol into your blood stream for disposal. I know that wasn't a very scientific explanation, and I can't remember where I read that, but it makes me think your test results could be a funtion of the timing of the test and not reflect the real ratios. Perhaps re-test after a year of Primal eating? Regardless I wouldn't worry about it.

I am fully aware of the holes that have been shot in the Lipid Hypothesis. It was just easier to convince myself that cholesterol didn't matter when it was other people's numbers that were high.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I believe the explanation is that as your liver is curing itself of NAFLD, cholesterol is raised. I had a full blood test last week and will post results when I get them - after more than a year primal, and I had high cholesterol before.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I'm getting my yearly blood work done tomorrow as well. I will post the results when I get them back. Just a few questions though, what does your workouts look like? Do you supplement with any fish oils or do you eat fish regularly? Do you eat conventional or grass fed beef? Do you include any other forms of dairy in your diet aside from butter/ghee?
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

sharonbaker is offline Junior Member

Cholesterol level

High cholesterol problem is one of the very normal problem nowadays... Evan every second people suffering from this problem. It can be treated by various different pills which include crestor, zocor, mevacor etc....

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharonbaker View Post
    High cholesterol problem is one of the very normal problem nowadays... Evan every second people suffering from this problem. It can be treated by various different pills which include crestor, zocor, mevacor etc....
    Oh, look. A troll. Ignore it and report it, please.

To the OP: Look in my .sig for more information on cholesterol.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

sharonbaker is offline Junior Member
    But we can see this problem in fatty people normally that the reason why i have written this. Otherwise cholesterol problem is one of the serious aspect for human health.... anyways.. Thanks for informing me...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast