Thread: Primal and High Blood Pressure? page

lahlon55 is offline Junior Member

Primal and High Blood Pressure?

Shop Now
    Any thoughts on how/if the Primal life-style effects high blood pressure? I have a family history of HBP and have even had episodes during my life time where mine has been high and have at different times taken medication for it. I was on BP medicine about 3 years ago, but lost about 30lbs and it seemed to be fine so I stopped taking the medication. I have been primal for about 3 months and went for a check-up and my BP was again high 140/95 and my Dr. wants me to go back on medication (I would prefer not to). I have lost another 6-8lbs on Primal (6'2' 214lbs) but am just wondering if there has been any evidence to show where primal eating could be causing this spike?

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    This is the primary reason I came to primal to begin with. Blood pressure is down significantly along w/ my weight. Also supplementing with magnesium/D/multivitamin. I have a ways to go but have no reason not to believe it will not be fully under control by next year.

I suggest a home monitor and frequent measuring, "white coat" hypertension is a very real phenomenon. I was prescribed meds in the past but they were ineffective and caused side effects so I stopped before the 3rd pill was added.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

StarStup is offline Member
    I have high blood pressure as well. No meds though, I've been pretty successful at controlling it with diet. At my doctors appointment right before I started Primal, (6 weeks ago) my blood pressure was 150/104. I have a home monitor and checked it the other day and it was 107/68 (and this is even with eating bacon!). So, yeah, Primal has pretty much controlled my blood pressure. I am lucky that my blood pressure responds pretty well to dietary changes. When I was doing CW dieting I was able to get my blood pressure down around 130/80, but never as low as it is now! Good luck!