Thread: Red wine page

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Northern Ireland

Shop Now

When you cook with red wine, does most of the alcohol burn off? I've heard conflicting answers to this question. I like to cook with red wine (casseroles with beef& veggies) and I don't want significant amounts of alcohol in my body. I would cook it in a lidded casserole dish for a couple of hours. Does it keep its health benefits this way?

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

I think some alcohol remains (around 5% of it) if you cook the casserole for around 2 and a half hours. But I could be wrong...

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Knoxville, TN

It depends on the temperature at which you're cooking. The longer and hotter you cook, the more alcohol gets burned off. I don't know the exact temp to do that, however I'm sure you could google it.

I do know I have to warm wine at a relatively low temperature when mulling to keep the alcohol from burning off. I've accidentally gone over when not paying attention. It can be sort of delicate at times.

PrimalCharles is offline Junior Member

Learn More

States most of the alcohol is burned off, If you cook at above 78C it should burn off, lower than that I am not sure.

Also not sure if the fact its sealed with a lid would allow it to condense and return to the dish...

Just realised that isn't a huge help... Sorry!

on benefits of Red wine after cooking, however, he also states you should use less fat in all cooking...