Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calculated my calories for the day page

spicegirl is offline Senior Member

Calculated my calories for the day

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

I used fitday to calculate my caloric intake for the day yesterday.

I ate 1221 calories (I weigh about 113 lbs).
    Protein = 18% (55 grams)
    Carbs = 19% (64 grams)
    Fat = 63% (87 grams)

Is that way too much fat? I ate about 1 Tbs of homemade mayo (made with eggs, vinegar and EVOO), some steak, five hard-boiled eggs throughout the day, a salad, some dark chocolate, a granny smith apple and kimchee (no sugar).

My main goal is to to feel good mentally and physically. I'm pretty strict about my foods. My cheats are what some would consider simply primal (i.e. a little cheese, some dark chocolate, etc.). I do need to move more (physically).

Are these %ages whacked or if I'm on a good path. Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks for any input!
    sg

cassel_man is offline Member
    I'd say add more protein. Think 1 gram per pound of lean mass.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassel_man View Post
    i'd say add more protein. Think 1 gram per pound of lean mass.
    ditto

spicegirl is offline Senior Member
    Thanks! Gosh, I'll never be hungry Will do some IFs when it feels right (I usually know).

I do need to build some muscle and have always had trouble. Suspect I was deficient for a long time (was pretty veg-based for a long time).

jaysond is offline Senior Member
    as far as i know your question really cant be answered until you tell us if your working out. if your working out you should eat more calories. my healthy fat intake is 25-30% of daily calories and it does not affect me at all. protein yes 1-2grams per pound of lean mass. carbs, follow the blueprint for sure!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spicegirl View Post
    Hi,

I used fitday to calculate my caloric intake for the day yesterday.

I ate 1221 calories (I weigh about 113 lbs).
    Protein = 18% (55 grams)
    Carbs = 19% (64 grams)
    Fat = 63% (87 grams)

Are these %ages whacked or if I'm on a good path.
    No, they're not. Those percentages just about ideal.

However, your total calorific intake—1221 Kcal per day—is ridiculously small. And since you only weigh around 8 stone weight loss can't be a pressing need for you (if it's necessary at all).

The RDA for a woman is about 2000 kcal:

RDA and RNI info | What Are The Recommended Daily Allowances | What Is The Reference Nutrient Intake

If you eat less than that, it'll probably be difficult for you to get over the RDA for a number of important nutrients. What do your fitday "Nutrition" readout and "%RDA graph" — 2nd and 3rd tabs — look like? I'd say that's far more important than your percentages of macronutrinets (fat, protein, and carbohydrate)—which in your case are right on the money anyway. I'd try to eat a bit more and concentrate on foods that are rich in the specific nutrients fitday suggests you're low on.

If you're low in nutrient X, you can google something like "X food sources" to find out what foods are rich in X.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    It always stuns me how little women need to eat. I'm 24yo, 5'7", 139 pounds. I'm not exactly a big guy by any stretch of the imagination. I eat around 2,800 calories a day - usually about 180g of fat, 200g of protein and 80g of carbs - and I'm still hungry half the time!

I'd definitely up your protein. I like the 60/30/10 fat/protein/carbs approach for most days.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    It always stuns me how little women need to eat. I'm 24yo, 5'7", 139 pounds. I'm not exactly a big guy by any stretch of the imagination. I eat around 2,800 calories a day - usually about 180g of fat, 200g of protein and 80g of carbs - and I'm still hungry half the time!

I'd definitely up your protein. I like the 60/30/10 fat/protein/carbs approach for most days.
    dont hate its not all girls i eat a shitload more than the OP....definitely match your 2800 a day...harder on high carb days

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post

However, your total calorific intake—1221 Kcal per day—is ridiculously small. And since you only weigh around 8 stone weight loss can't be a pressing need for you (if it's necessary at all).
    1221 calories is not ridiculously small for someone who weights 113 lbs and doesn't exercise (sounds like the OP doesn't). It's actually about the amount required for a 2lb per week fat loss without exercise. To put it in perspective, I'm female, 5'1 and weigh 125 lbs. My daily intake is usually 1300-1500 calories and the weight loss at that intake is excrutiatingly slow - and I exercise!

@spicegirl, your ratios are almost identical to mine. You are not taking in too much fat but you could up the protein a bit more if you want to get stronger and build some muscle.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    1221 calories is not ridiculously small for someone who weights 113 lbs and doesn't exercise (sounds like the OP doesn't). It's actually about the amount required for a 2lb per week fat loss without exercise. To put it in perspective, I'm female, 5'1 and weigh 125 lbs. My daily intake is usually 1300-1500 calories and the weight loss at that intake is excrutiatingly slow - and I exercise!
    That would make sense if calories were very important to fat loss. She weighs 81% of what I do and eats 43% of the calories that I do. The male/female divide is not significant enough to make up that kind of difference. I eat around 800 more calories a day now than I did when I wasn't Primal, and I have lost considerable amounts of body fat while building muscle. The whole "cut out X amount of calories a day for Y amount of fat loss" is a total myth. Calories stored as fat on your waistline have a completely different value than calories you intake. Subtracting 3,500 calories from your diet over the course of a week will not equate to 1 pound of lost body fat.

I'm concerned that that low level of caloric intake will actually suppress fat loss. Going Primal means you are eating more nutrient-dense food as you're averaging much higher fat. That doesn't mean you should drop volume of food. If I eat 2 oz of cheese vs. 2 oz of bread, I'm eating a lot more calories per volume. She should be eating more calories on Primal than on a CW diet if she's eating the same volume of food.

I feel like these people that go Primal and take in less calories are the ones that never lose any fat. They'll bloat up, maybe gain fat or lose muscle. IMO, you should be eating more calories on the Primal plan on purpose or the ensuing drop in metabolism may really hurt you. I think the big reason why people stall is their calories fall too low for fat loss, coupled with the decreased thermogenic effects and decreased leptin production of prolonged low-carb. It stands to reason that if you're giving up foods like grains and legumes due to their lack of nutrition for more nutrient-dense foods, your calories SHOULD be going up. If you're taking in less nutrition, what's the point of going Primal?
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 05-18-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast