Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me take advantage of my corporate gym membership? page

thessaly is offline Junior Member

Help me take advantage of my corporate gym membership?

Shop Now
    Frequent lurker, first time poster.

Background:

39yo female, lifetime overweight/low fitness. Have lost about 65lbs over the last few years with a very meat-oriented lowcarb diet.

At the beginning of this year, I decided I was tired of being weak, and started doing Jillian Michaels exercise videos. I've dropped about eight pounds (down to 155ish at this point, from a lifetime high of 225 and an adulthood over 200), and two jeans sizes doing this, as well as loosening up some impending problems with my right shoulder.

Coincidentally enough, while I'm starting to get really bored of these videos and wanting to do more serious lifting, my work has just given me a free gym membership. I don't want to come off as a shill in my first post so I'm not going to link, but it's a franchise called o2fitness in NC, seems like they've got the usual fare, classes, etc, and the membership comes with some personal training sessions. Maybe this is standard, I really have no idea.

Anyway, I feel like I should take advantage of this, but I want to ask the right questions and avoid being told I should do a bunch of cardio.

While I've made some decent progress, I'd like to be a lot stronger. For example, I still can't quite do 'real' pushups. It's hard for me to gauge my fitness beyond that. I can deadlift about 80lbs, maybe more, but that's about all the freeweights I've got so I don't know. I'm also not sure, even having watched a lot of videos and whatnot, that I'm doing any of this stuff with good form.

I guess I'm looking for advice on talking my way past the trainer, who I assume is going to see a chick and think I want to spend an hour on a treadmill three times a week. And should I say I just want to do free weights, and ask for instruction on form, or let them steer me towards those weight machines?

Thanks in advance.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    A decent trainer will ask you what your fitness goals are. Then you say:

"While I've made some decent progress, I'd like to be a lot stronger. For example, I still can't quite do 'real' pushups. It's hard for me to gauge my fitness beyond that. I can deadlift about 80lbs, maybe more, but that's about all the freeweights I've got so I don't know. I'm also not sure, even having watched a lot of videos and whatnot, that I'm doing any of this stuff with good form."

And then the trainer - if he or she is any good - will say "ok, let's have a look at some good warm-ups for weight training, I'll show you the weight room and go over how to use everything, we'll look at some basic lifts and proper form, and set up an initial workout routine for you."

Trainers are supposed to train you in the way you want to be trained. Nobody needs coaching on how to use an elliptical or even a treadmill, really - the trainer will probably be happy to have something to actually DO.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    It maybe rather repetitve (because it gets said all the time) but do Starting Strength. Its a newbie program for barbell training and after you 'finish' the program you'll have a good foundation of strength and be far more knowledge about exercising and that will allow you to know better what you want to focus on.
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Difficult to say whether the trainers will be any good but my advice would be to leave them in no doubt as to why you're there. Just say: "I'm here to get strong and I want you to show me how to Deadlift, Squat and Press. Then I need you to write me a programme based around these exercises."

Come back to the forum, let us know what they have given you and (if possible) post some video of you lifting. We'll all be happy to give you some technique pointers if the coaching isn't up to scratch.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Difficult to say whether the trainers will be any good but my advice would be to leave them in no doubt as to why you're there. Just say: "I'm here to get strong and I want you to show me how to Deadlift, Squat and Press. Then I need you to write me a programme based around these exercises."

Come back to the forum, let us know what they have given you and (if possible) post some video of you lifting. We'll all be happy to give you some technique pointers if the coaching isn't up to scratch.
    +1.

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    Just discuss your goals and the trainer should build you a program around that. if not, heck it was free anyway and just move on.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    If I didn;'t know... I'd want to learn how to:

Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench Press
    Standing Overhead Press
    Pullups
    Dips

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Further to Arthur's point, I'd also want to learn progressions on how to get to pullups, dips etc if I wasn't yet strong enough to do one yet.

jillian is offline Junior Member

waste of time?

I have a question about the whole gym scene. I signed up for my gym because of all the fun, mostly cardio, classes. They have step, dancing, cardio kickboxing, "sculpt" (5-8 pounds) interval training, spin, etc. So I recently started eating primal and instead of going to the gym for an hour or two doing cardio, I switched to walking everyday and LHT 2-3x a week. I have been going to yoga and pilates whenever I can as well. I LOVE cardio kickboxing though and I actually enjoy spin. Am I wasting my time though in these classes and just going back into "chronic cardio?" I would like to think I'm getting a good workout while I'm in these classes but I don't know if its beneficial or if its hurting me. Just curious, Thanks!

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    If you love those classes, just incorporate them into your week but dont sacrifice LHT and sprints. They're not exactly chronic cardio as most are under an hour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast